Look Mummy, There's an Aeroplane Up In The Sky - Or Dear bod What Have I Gotten Myself Into. - Tamiya 1/48 Royal Navy Sea Harrier FRS.1 - Finished

AliGauld

1 hour ago, AliGauld said:

I have tried this in the past but arthritic spasms usually cause my hand to twitch in the wrong direction at just the wrong time.

Usually means more clean up the scribing.

Doesn't mean I'm not going to try though. :D

Well that must suck when trying to do small details. 

This getting older may have its perks (like more disposable income etc) but the downsides really are all a bit of a kick in the privates!

Respect the bloody minded "I'm not letting that stop me" attitude though, my approach too.

Nice build so far by the way, looking forward to watching you fighting this old lit into decent shape.

• Like 4

A little bit more done.

The IP glued together

8H2w4vz.jpg

The engine parts were painted with Xtreme Metals Polished Aluminium and Steel

The parts were glued together and the shroud fitted.

bf8yuzL.jpg

I also gave the fan blade a bit of a wash.

Y0lfyHR.jpg

Finally I drilled out the panels on the engine hatch and fitted some PE grilles.

5KeoXAO.jpg

So, I still need to do some detail painting in the cockpit area and engine and detail the seat up with PE.

These arrived today.

v4NTosG.jpg

BUe4dw4.jpg

vI69ZNf.jpg

sEb1ixQ.jpg

On initial inspection they look a little tall and if I'm going to use one then I'll need to perform some surgery in the cockpit or on the seat.

I'll continue to do the kit one to see what it looks like blinged up and then see what is necessary or if i can get away with the resin ones in an open canopy version.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 10

31 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Nice job on the engine, fan and shroud

Nice seats too.

Chris

Thanks Chris,

They do look pretty nice.

24 minutes ago, kiseca said:

Lovely job on the fan. It really looks like it's been opened up.

Thanks so much.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

I am in for this build. Can’t wait to see the whole process, very nice.

I have always wanted a Harrier and have been playing with the idea of building a 1/48 Sea Harrier jumping off a ramp. Maybe one day I will buy one.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cklasse said:

I am in for this build. Can’t wait to see the whole process, very nice.

I have always wanted a Harrier and have been playing with the idea of building a 1/48 Sea Harrier jumping off a ramp. Maybe one day I will buy one.

Welcome aboard.

Pull up a chair and watch the antics.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

I bought this kit in a shop once because it seemed exceptionally cheap for a Tamiya 1/48, then I found out why. I didn't even do 1/48 at the time. Later I found out why it was cheap, and ended up giving it away to an aspiring young modeler. Wonder if they ever built it? Anyway, look forward to seeing what you do with it.

Am I seeing a subtle Pink Floyd reference there?

• Thanks 1

Ironic, on the basis of this thread, this kit appears to be something of a best seller for Tamiya. It's also always available in shops whenever I look around them, as though it is still in print.

I'm wondering if this kit has the lowest build to buy ratio of any on the market?

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Paul J said:

yep.

"Alexa, play The Wall by Pink Floyd on Spotify."

(First time I ever played it was on vinyl, and it still sounds good all these years later...)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, amos brierley said:

Hi,   the BBC reported yesterday that Vinyl sales this year have overtaken CD sales.

💿

Interesting, but not that surprising. Streaming has done for CDs (and DVDs) and there has been a real resurgence in vinyl in recent years. I’ve rebought several of my favourite albums on vinyl, and I don’t even own a turntable 🤣

Sorry, thread drift!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TonyOD said:

I bought this kit in a shop once because it seemed exceptionally cheap for a Tamiya 1/48, then I found out why. I didn't even do 1/48 at the time. Later I found out why it was cheap, and ended up giving it away to an aspiring young modeler. Wonder if they ever built it? Anyway, look forward to seeing what you do with it.

Am I seeing a subtle Pink Floyd reference there?

Thanks,

I'm going to try and do something decent with it.

I'm not used to being referred to as subtle though, or at least not without the words as a brick or as a pound of mince tacked on to the end. :D

9 hours ago, mark.au said:

Steady progress Alistair.  Looking good.

Thanks Mark.

Still some butchery to be done I feel.

8 hours ago, kiseca said:

Ironic, on the basis of this thread, this kit appears to be something of a best seller for Tamiya. It's also always available in shops whenever I look around them, as though it is still in print.

I'm wondering if this kit has the lowest build to buy ratio of any on the market?

I wouldn't be in the least surprised.

7 hours ago, Paul J said:

yep.

Well, I had to fill the empty spaces somehow.

6 hours ago, TonyOD said:

"Alexa, play The Wall by Pink Floyd on Spotify."

(First time I ever played it was on vinyl, and it still sounds good all these years later...)

Yes, me too. In fact I still have the first press copy I bought in 1979 in Woolies.

4 hours ago, amos brierley said:

Hi,   the BBC reported yesterday that Vinyl sales this year have overtaken CD sales.

💿

4 hours ago, TonyOD said:

Interesting, but not that surprising. Streaming has done for CDs (and DVDs) and there has been a real resurgence in vinyl in recent years. I’ve rebought several of my favourite albums on vinyl, and I don’t even own a turntable 🤣

Sorry, thread drift!

Exactly. I refused point blank to get rid of my LP's when digital really started as I couldn't equate reproducing an analogue sound properly without an analogue system.

Of course that really doesn't apply now as most records are recorded digitally but I still buy LP's as they are more immersive, for me.

I do have CD's and I also have put together an digital audio system based around a Raspberry Pi and network storage which hooks into the HiFi but allows me the convenience of controlling it from my Phone, Tablet etc.

Just for everyday listening and background noise, but if I really want to listen to something it's on LP.

No need for apologies. I'm all for thread drift and if it's about music, records or books then I'm in happy land.

Anyway, ramble over.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 4

Last night while we were watching some of the MCU as part of our let's watch it all in order binge, I was pondering how to do the ejector seat.

The beautiful CMK ones are too tall and too wide to fit which would have required a lot of butchery to the cockpit tub and fuselage parts.

The kit one even when blinged up isn't going to look anywhere as good as the resin one.

What course of action could I take.

Sitting here this morning I came up with a plan, not a particularly good plan but the easiest way to do this without destroying the kit.

Out with the razor saw and this.

lz2WIV7.jpg

Leaving me this which all fits and is the same height.

p5c1hrl.jpg

I'll need to do a little filling and smoothing to the join but once I've used the CMK etch it should look a lot better than the kit one.

Of course, if it all goes horribly wrong then I've still got the other resin seat and will just have to cut and shunt until I can fit it.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 7

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great idea Alistair that will certainly look hood when all the extra bits added .

Love it

Chris

Thanks Chris,

I was looking at the remains of the resin seat and at the razor saw and thought why not try a bit more. 

So..... after some CA and PPP 

D2DrLuZ.jpg

hqwjTiS.jpg

I'll get a coat of paint on this later and see how it looks.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 8

5 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Well, I had to fill the empty spaces somehow.

I see what you did there.

5 hours ago, AliGauld said:

In fact I still have the first press copy I bought in 1979 in Woolies.

Me too! Though I got mine from Subway Records in Fareham (where the cool kids shopped - and me as well) :)

Bang seat coming on well.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, mark.au said:

Bang seat coming on well.

Thanks Mark,

I've just tried a dry fit and it seems to be still a little tall.

I'll maybe have to build cockpit open.

I'll see what happens or I might do some more surgery tonight once I've got some colour sprayed.

It depends on how brave I feel later.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

Great start Alistair. Your cunning plan is coming along most cunningly, and looking highly successful in a cunning seat-problem-resolving sort of way.

Good luck with the rest of this.

We're all on your side remember.......even if we are all watching carefully.

All the best for the New Year.

Q

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Dr. Quack said:

Great start Alistair. Your cunning plan is coming along most cunningly, and looking highly successful in a cunning seat-problem-resolving sort of way.

Good luck with the rest of this.

We're all on your side remember.......even if we are all watching carefully.

All the best for the New Year.

Q

Thanks very much Q

There's not so much planning as sort of winging it and hoping it works.

Seems to be OK so far though.

• Like 1