Look Mummy, There's an Aeroplane Up In The Sky - Or Dear bod What Have I Gotten Myself Into. - Tamiya 1/48 Royal Navy Sea Harrier FRS.1 - Finished

AliGauld

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looking good Alistair , progressing very well.

Great work taming this one

Chris

Thanks Chris,

It'll take some work but I'm happy with the progress so far.

52 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

Looking like a Harrier, even looks as smooth as one too.

Nice work Alistair.

Stay safe.

Simon.

Thanks Simon,

Way to go yet.

45 minutes ago, amos brierley said:

Looking very SHAR(p).      😉

Thanks Amos,

I could be plugging away at this for a while.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mark.au said:

Looking very good, you’re certainly taming this one very effectively.

Thanks Mark

I said it would be a bumpy ride.

3 hours ago, Dunny said:

Very nice Alistair - I see you've swapped bread bins again :jump_fire:

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger,

Got to keep Chris on his toes.

Cheers,

Alistair

• 2 weeks later...

I've fitted the Aden Pods and some PE to the fuselage.

KrhwejL.jpg

oleLuhd.jpg

m1awbJg.jpg

There's still a fair bit of PE to be put on and I may sand down and replace the vortex generators.

I need to do something with the air brake cavity as well.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 11

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Alistair

Looking good fella, good to see this again.

Great work fella.

Chris

Thanks Chris,

I've done a lot of staring and trying to decipher the FlightPath PE instructions but I think I'm seeing the way forward now.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dunny said:

Coming along nicely Alistair - you'll be done in no time!

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger,

There's still a long way to go with this behemoth.

5 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

You’re thinking of replacing the vortex generators ( presumably with PE )? Good luck with that!

John

Only thinking about it and the more I think the less I like the idea. :D

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I tried it once on an Airfix Buccaneer and it wasn’t very successful, ended up with no vortex generators at all!

John

That's exactly what's worrying me.

I think I'll just leave them in situ for now.

I'll let myself have a good think about it and then come to the conclusion that discretion etc.. ;)

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spookytooth said:

Looking good Alistair sir.

I would probably sand the vortex generators , you need the profile...

Still, you making your way through her.

Keep up the great work.

Stay safe.

Simon.

Thanks Simon,

I'm still having a thunk aboot it.

There is plenty else to be done so I might just go for that until I make my mind up.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Thanks Simon,

I'm still having a thunk aboot it.

There is plenty else to be done so I might just go for that until I make my mind up.

Cheers,

Alistair

G'day Alistair,

Personally I would leave them as although they are slightly overscale, they are neat, uniform in size ans shape and perfectly aligned. 

If you choose to replace them, at best they might be scale thickness  and someone may notice but to get there you will need to clean up every one (filing off the remnants of the PE stub) on a tiny part. Hopefully the carpet monster will not cliam too many. Next you will need to fold them and attach without getting CA everywhere and they will all need to be aligned correctly. Hopefiully the FP etch will have some sort of alignment jig included. Having done all that, you will need to make sure you don't knock any off during handling!

If you are really committed to using the PE vortex generators why not experiment first by using a new scalpel blade to cut down the thickness of a vortex generator? It may result in a better appearance. If not. well it was getting removed anyway so no real loss,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Pappy said:

G'day Alistair,

Personally I would leave them as although they are slightly overscale, they are neat, uniform in size ans shape and perfectly aligned. 

If you choose to replace them, at best they might be scale thickness  and someone may notice but to get there you will need to clean up every one (filing off the remnants of the PE stub) on a tiny part. Hopefully the carpet monster will not cliam too many. Next you will need to fold them and attach without getting CA everywhere and they will all need to be aligned correctly. Hopefiully the FP etch will have some sort of alignment jig included. Having done all that, you will need to make sure you don't knock any off during handling!

If you are really committed to using the PE vortex generators why not experiment first by using a new scalpel blade to cut down the thickness of a vortex generator? It may result in a better appearance. If not. well it was getting removed anyway so no real loss,

cheers,

Pappy

Thanks Pappy,

All those are arguments that I've had in my head and I will continue to have until I stop procrastinating and make a decision.

There is no alignment jig in the FP set so that may well be the final nail in the coffin.

At the moment that is all a problem for future me. :D

Cheers,

Alistair

4 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Thanks Pappy,

All those are arguments that I've had in my head and I will continue to have until I stop procrastinating and make a decision.

There is no alignment jig in the FP set so that may well be the final nail in the coffin.

At the moment that is all a problem for future me. :D

Cheers,

Alistair

Fair enough. For stuff like the vortex generators, the result has to be perfect because the human brain is conditioned o look for symmetry and will inevitably notice the misalignment and odd one or two out. One last point is that is is really worth it for this kit?

I built this kit an eon ago and nowadays would only use it as a paint mule, still, I respect anyone who wants to bring an old kit up to modern standards of detailing, so have at it if that is your thing, 👍

Pappy

If you decide to replace the vortex generators, remember you can use the Silhouette Cutter to make them.  It’ll cut thin plastic sheet.  This way you’ll at least be able to produce identical pieces which takes care of the biggest risk regarding @Pappy’s very valid observation above.

• Thanks 1

Just now, mark.au said:

If you decide to replace the vortex generators, remember you can use the Silhouette Cutter to make them.  It’ll cut thin plastic sheet.  This way you’ll at least be able to produce identical pieces which takes care of the biggest risk regarding @Pappy’s very valid observation above.

Wow, I didn't know that!

How thin/thick can the Silhouette Cutter handle

Sorry for the thread drift Alastair :sorry:

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mark.au said:

Ooh there's a thought.

8 hours ago, Pappy said:

Wow, I didn't know that!

How thin/thick can the Silhouette Cutter handle

Sorry for the thread drift Alastair :sorry:

cheers,

Pappy

No need for apologies.

I'm interested to find out as well.

Cheers,

Alistair

Nicely caught up now.  Looking Good Alistair.

8 hours ago, mark.au said:

28 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Ooh there's a thought.

Definitely a thought.  I’ve done PE VGs in 1/72 and they were worth it, but a pain.  @Pappy’s observations are, as Mark says, very valid.  Getting an even line of holes drilled in the wing is tedious but doable, but the whole PE/Cyano thing is definitely an angst ridden activity.  If the Cutter can cope with tiny VG shapes then planting plastic VGs in the wing with say TET would be much less problematical.  I think.  I hope.

PS.  You want a long attachment stub on each VG!

Edited by Fritag
  • Thanks 1

Hi Alistair

Just another thought re the Vortex Generators,  would it be worth using one of those Razor blades with the hand hold on the other side and taking slices off the upright section of the Vortex Generators to thin them out , might be worth a try???

Chris

• Thanks 1