Look Mummy, There's an Aeroplane Up In The Sky - Or Dear bod What Have I Gotten Myself Into. - Tamiya 1/48 Royal Navy Sea Harrier FRS.1 - Finished

AliGauld

Well it's said that fools rush in.

So, here I rush. Some plastic chopped out.

mzlFhxp.jpg

Uce4FiY.jpg

Then with the aid of Tamiya tape and blu-tac.

S3cFPvy.jpg

w1GlQMk.jpg

By George I think he's got it.

At least that now gives me the option for open or closed depending on how things look after paint and etch.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Brilliant work,  you've sorted the height issues .  Fantastic stuff Alistair 

Chris

Thanks Chris,

It's going to take careful positioning when it comes to glue but I think it works.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

Todays progress.

Dark Admiralty Grey on the seat and control column.

fFnVkUk.jpg

I3ZeyTn.jpg

vT4hRXp.jpg

Obbf9j9.jpg

I'll get the brush out tomorrow for some detail work in the cockpit.

The engine was given a misting of Alclad Pale Burnt Metal and Extreme Metal Burnt Metal, then a Nuln Oil wash and that will be that for it.

k3dOzNq.jpg

VI4ZdOX.jpg

If I get lucky with the brush stuff tomorrow then I should manage to get the fuselage halves together and some PE on the seat.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 7

8 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Yes, me too. In fact I still have the first press copy I bought in 1979 in Woolies.

Exactly. I refused point blank to get rid of my LP's when digital really started as I couldn't equate reproducing an analogue sound properly without an analogue system.

Of course that really doesn't apply now as most records are recorded digitally but I still buy LP's as they are more immersive, for me.

I do have CD's and I also have put together an digital audio system based around a Raspberry Pi and network storage which hooks into the HiFi but allows me the convenience of controlling it from my Phone, Tablet etc.

Just for everyday listening and background noise, but if I really want to listen to something it's on LP.

No need for apologies. I'm all for thread drift and if it's about music, records or books then I'm in happy land.

Anyway, ramble over.

Cheers,

Alistair

I lost my vinyl in the divorce 20-something years ago. I bought the current Mrs. L a record player for our anniversary in September, and the wave of nostalgia as I placed a record on the turntable was overwhelming. Getting back to records has rekindled that love of listening to an album, and we hadn't realised how much we missed it.

Looking forward to this build - I have this kit in the stash, but want to see what you can do with it before I have a go. Looking great so far!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Alistair,

Good work on the ejector seat - Pegasus looking good too!

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger,

The Pegasus will never be seen but I couldn't just put it in without some colour.

27 minutes ago, John Laidlaw said:

I lost my vinyl in the divorce 20-something years ago. I bought the current Mrs. L a record player for our anniversary in September, and the wave of nostalgia as I placed a record on the turntable was overwhelming. Getting back to records has rekindled that love of listening to an album, and we hadn't realised how much we missed it.

Looking forward to this build - I have this kit in the stash, but want to see what you can do with it before I have a go. Looking great so far!

Thanks very much.

That's exactly it. No playlists, no skipping tracks just listening to a whole album the way it was meant to be.

The work of art that is an LP sleeve, a decent size and if there are liner notes that's a bonus.

Finally the interaction of getting up and turning the record over.

Can't be beaten.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Thanks Chris,

It's what we do though. :D

Cheers,

Alistair

G'day Alistair,

I have a mate who calls this 'modelling for God' since nobody else will see it. I also dd this sort of thing and it never seems to bother me as much as it does others. My attitude is that the kit is there to entertain me and painting stuff is part of that, even if the parts will be hard to see if at all. In this case lots of people have seen your engine (online), they just can't see it  in real life.

I am also liking the sow's ear to silk purse tranformation that you are performing,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pappy said:

G'day Alistair,

I have a mate who calls this 'modelling for God' since nobody else will see it. I also dd this sort of thing and it never seems to bother me as much as it does others. My attitude is that the kit is there to entertain me and painting stuff is part of that, even if the parts will be hard to see if at all. In this case lots of people have seen your engine (online), they just can't see it  in real life.

I am also liking the sow's ear to silk purse tranformation that you are performing,

cheers,

Pappy

Thanks very much for your kind words.

I completely agree it's about having fun and enjoying the build.

Cheers,

Alistair 

After doing some detail painting I spent most of the time I had fitting bits of PE.

The majority of the detail painting is completely wrong and only there to add some interest to the final cockpit.

Once all that was done it was all given a wash with Agrax Earthshade.

xwOCuJ1.jpg

kgIsnfY.jpg

YG3WlXR.jpg

gbgFxnX.jpg

The seat just popped into place just to see what it looks like.

I also fitted the resin intakes on the engine hatch that I'd forgotten about.

1s5Py3n.jpg

Then I had a bit of a thought and decided it would probably be easier to fit and fettle the intakes before the fuselage halves were joined.

So they have been glued on.

5JSOQub.jpg

ohXCnnZ.jpg

tAliGX5.jpg

These were for the Airfix kit and will take a little work to blend in but the are so much better than the kit part.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 11

5 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Alistair,

Detail painting very effective, and the ejector seat is looking very nice!

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger,

Nothing accurate about it but it should look OK in situ.

5 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great work on the cockpit bits Alistair, I take it they are the Pavla intakes, got a set for my Airfix FA.2, they look quite nice. 

Happy New year to you and yours fella 

Chris

Thanks Chris,

They are the Pavla bits and the jet nozzles are really nice too.

Happy New Year to you and Mrs. Badge. :door:

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

Well Alistair, first of all Happy New Year sir.

Great job done on the seat mate, looks well good, plus the other bits added/ removed.

Let`s hope for a decent modelling year, work permitting that is.

Stay safe.

Simon.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Spookytooth said:

Well Alistair, first of all Happy New Year sir.

Great job done on the seat mate, looks well good, plus the other bits added/ removed.

Let`s hope for a decent modelling year, work permitting that is.

Stay safe.

Simon.

A Happy New year to you as well Simon,

And thanks.

Her's hoping it's a good year.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

I applied filler last night and sanded down this morning.

This is the second round with Mr. Surfacer which will be left until tomorrow and then treated and see how it's gone.

jwJtP8l.jpg

Krystal Klear was applied to the IP dials.

HTJOOOu.jpg

Doesn't really show in this photo but there's a nice wee shine to the dials.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

IP looks great and hopefully the intakes will come out well.

Great job Alistair enjoy that Roast lamb, hmm yummy. 

Chris

Thanks Chris,

The intakes will take some work but will be worth it as the kit ones are truly awful.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

I have been doing the fill sand repeat cycle and might have got it.

It all feels good to the fingertip.

5m0cALb.jpg

A81wbYv.jpg

I was heading out to get some paint sprayed to check the join when there was a knock at the door and three brass monkeys asked me if I knew of any brazing emporiums that might be open today.

I'll leave the paint until tomorrow.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

...three brass monkeys asked me if I knew of any brazing emporiums that might be open today...

I think you might want to develop the habit of putting the cap back on the pot of glue when you're not using it.

😁

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

I was heading out to get some paint sprayed to check the join when there was a knock at the door and three brass monkeys asked me if I knew of any brazing emporiums that might be open today.

I'll leave the paint until tomorrow.

Yep, that wind has got a chill to it, even down south mate.

Once you get the lie detector on i.e. primer it will show any faults as always.

Try and keep warm mate.

Simon.

• Thanks 1