Arma Hobby 1/72 Sea Hurricane Mk.Ib

Yet another fantastic kit from Arma Hobby.

It comes with some beautiful 3D printed parts that require some surgery to build the kit.

If I can do it then I would hazard that anyone can.

Primed with Tamiya Neutral Grey.

Painted with Colourcoats Interior Grey Green, Dark Slate Grey, Extra dark Sea Grey, Sky S Type, RAF/FAA Yellow, Tamiya Nato Black, Rubber Black, Flat Aluminium and Hataka Golden Yellow.

Washed with Flory Dark Dirt, Citadel Nuln Oil and Agrax Earthshade.

Oil work done with Windor & Newton and Abteilung 502 oils.

Finished with Windsor & Newton Matt and Satin varnishes.

Rigged with Uschi Van Der Rosten Standard Rigging

eIOKv5i.jpg

qtSkL0Q.jpg

D1dzeC2.jpg

qIUk07A.jpg

4QPZ2mU.jpg

nP1VZz0.jpg

a7Y18xf.jpg

rQOU9tv.jpg

Pksezll.jpg

djxJAn3.jpg

WIP Here

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 53
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Flintstone said:

That looks lovely!

Thanks so much.

6 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

Looks wonderful Alistair.

Another one to add to the display.

Well done mate.

Simon.

Thanks very much Simon,

Your support, help and encouragement throughout the year has been invaluable.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

Alistair,

You big fibber - you made it! What a lovely finish of an iconic aircraft - the perfect Christmas gift!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lovely work Alistair. The TSS looks spot on here. I have no idea what happened during the build of course since I made the mistake of putting my phone down for 5 minutes to make coffee sometime during the priming stage. 

Hoping to cajole the wee buggers to make another trip to Duxford after chrismas to get a glance at the shuttleworth sea hurri. 

Merry Christmas, hope you manage a nice few hours off from the relentless model production line. And do give that army of robots you have working for you a wee dram as well!

Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That is a beautiful Sea Hurricane!

It looks like Arma Hobby did not get the markings quite correct, though. For some unknown reason, none of the three fighter squadrons (800 with Sea Hurricanes, 806 with Martlets, 880 with Sea Hurricanes) embarked on Indomitable complied with the special instruction to paint up the leading edges and fin in yellow.There are quite a few photographs that make this very apparent. The carrier's Sea Hurricane squadrons also had the aircraft ID painted in small letters on the wing leading edge each side near the wing root, 6+letter for 800, 7+letter for 880 (this may also have been true for 806 but I know of no photograph to show it). Finally, for Exercise Berserk, a fighter control exercise in August just before the operation for all the carriers involved in Pedestal, Indomitable's Sea Hurricane squadrons painted up special white markings: 800 had a white ring around the nose behind the spinner and 880 a white band around the tail. By the time of Pedestal, 800's white markings were painted out, but it is possible that the tail band on 880's Sea Hurricanes was still in white rather than being overpainted in sky (none of 800's aircraft had a tail band of any kind).

If I ever were to revert to building model aircraft again I might well pick up one of these after seeing what a splendid job you made of it.

Maurice

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dunny said:

Alistair,

You big fibber - you made it! What a lovely finish of an iconic aircraft - the perfect Christmas gift!

Cheers,

Roger

Sorry Roger, didn't think I would because as a wise man said "Xmas getting in the way of a finish"

But, of course, he then finished a gorgeous Martlet. :whistle::wicked:.

If it hadn't been for the hairdryer I wouldn't have made it.

It's the only use I have for one these days. :D.

1 hour ago, mick said:

great work

Thanks very much.

1 hour ago, Ngantek said:

Lovely work Alistair. The TSS looks spot on here. I have no idea what happened during the build of course since I made the mistake of putting my phone down for 5 minutes to make coffee sometime during the priming stage. 

Hoping to cajole the wee buggers to make another trip to Duxford after chrismas to get a glance at the shuttleworth sea hurri. 

Merry Christmas, hope you manage a nice few hours off from the relentless model production line. And do give that army of robots you have working for you a wee dram as well!

Andy

Thanks so much Andy,

I've got a bottle of Glenmorangie ready to crack open.

They may get a sniff later. :D

A very Merry Christmas to you.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

Looks flippin fantastic Alistair, what a cracking model and very quick, you'll no doubt have the Sea Harrier done in no time time too. 

You've done a grande job, paintwork looks splendid, always love a bit of TSS.

Hope you and yours have a Merry Christmas. 

Chris

• Thanks 1

Just now, bigbadbadge said:

Looks flippin fantastic Alistair, what a cracking model and very quick, you'll no doubt have the Sea Harrier done in no time time too. 

You've done a grande job, paintwork looks splendid, always love a bit of TSS.

Hope you and yours have a Merry Christmas. 

Chris

Thanks Chris,

That is very kind of you.

Thanks to you for all the support and help you've provided.

Merry Christmas to you and the Fragrant Mrs. Badge, just don't tell her I said so. ;)

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Thanks Chris,

Thanks to you for all the support and help you've provided.

Merry Christmas to you and the Fragrant Mrs. Badge, just don't tell her I said so. ;)

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair,  don't worry your quite safe, I told her you live in Australia 😉

Chris

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Beautiful work, Alistair, this looks absolutely terrific! The TSS looks fabulous and the Pedestal yellow fin really sets it off. Great stuff!

Cheers,

Mark 

Thanks Mark,

It came out OK.

I hope you are having a great Christmas and that Santa was good to you.

7 minutes ago, RichieW said:

That's turned out beautifully Alistair. 👏👏👏

Richie

Thanks very much Richie,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

On 24/12/2022 at 20:28, AliGauld said:

Yet another fantastic kit from Arma Hobby.

It comes with some beautiful 3D printed parts that require some surgery to build the kit.

If I can do it then I would hazard that anyone can.

Primed with Tamiya Neutral Grey.

Painted with Colourcoats Interior Grey Green, Dark Slate Grey, Extra dark Sea Grey, Sky S Type, RAF/FAA Yellow, Tamiya Nato Black, Rubber Black, Flat Aluminium and Hataka Golden Yellow.

Washed with Flory Dark Dirt, Citadel Nuln Oil and Agrax Earthshade.

Oil work done with Windor & Newton and Abteilung 502 oils.

Finished with Windsor & Newton Matt and Satin varnishes.

Rigged with Uschi Van Der Rosten Standard Rigging

eIOKv5i.jpg

qtSkL0Q.jpg

D1dzeC2.jpg

qIUk07A.jpg

4QPZ2mU.jpg

nP1VZz0.jpg

a7Y18xf.jpg

rQOU9tv.jpg

Pksezll.jpg

djxJAn3.jpg

WIP Here

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

Well done.

Alain

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, MACALAIN said:

Well done.

Alain

Thanks so much Alain.

Very kind of you.

26 minutes ago, John Laidlaw said:

Another beauty for the stable! As has been said, the TSS is spot on and the finish is great. Splendid stuff!

Thanks so much.

That is extremely kind of you to say.

Cheers,

Alistair

5 minutes ago, Dr. Quack said:

Lovely finish again Alistair. The yellow fin is particularly effective and eye catching.. another one to be proud of.

If you're quick you might be able to squeeze another build in this year??!

Q

Thanks so much Q,

I'm back at work tonight but I'll give it a go. ;)

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In December I started to watch this impressive build, but due to nasty flu I missed the finish. Today I catch-up.

Great build, and super-cool result. Congratulations!

On 12/24/2022 at 11:51 PM, mdesaxe said:

It looks like Arma Hobby did not get the markings quite correct, though. For some unknown reason, none of the three fighter squadrons (800 with Sea Hurricanes, 806 with Martlets, 880 with Sea Hurricanes) embarked on Indomitable complied with the special instruction to paint up the leading edges and fin in yellow.There are quite a few photographs that make this very apparent. The carrier's Sea Hurricane squadrons also had the aircraft ID painted in small letters on the wing leading edge each side near the wing root, 6+letter for 800, 7+letter for 880 (this may also have been true for 806 but I know of no photograph to show it).

We in Arma Hobby firmly hope that the Popham "7G" scheme is correct, even if we don't have a photo of this particular aeroplane in this particular moment. In general we rarely choose markings not 100% confirmed with photos, but this time we have made an exception - together with Wojciech Łuczak, known Polish aviation expert and great fan of the FAA we decided that Hugh Popham, who flew this plane, deserves such a tribute.

What we have to confirm this scheme? A few photos of other HMS Indomitable Hurricanes, and a knowledge from other Britmodeller thread.

This photo:

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205144800

shows the Indomitable with Sea Hurricanes from both 800 Sq. (left, dark spinner, letter "M" on the fuselage and "6M" on the wing roots) and 880 Sq. (right, sky spinner, no marking on the wing roots) - and both of them have the yellow identification markings clearly visible.

This photo:
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205185912

shows the Indomitable Sea Hurricanes on the HMS Victorious after Indomitable was bombed. Markings are, as expected, similar: 800 Sq. "6G" with dark spinner and "6G" markings on the wing roots, and 880 Sq. "7E" with sky spinner, no "7E" on wing roots. Both planes have visible yellow wing leading edges, the fins are in shadow, hard to say if they are yellow or not.

Additional info we have from @iang contribution to the recent discussion in general thread about Hurricanes. Ian confirmed that there is a photo of 880 Sq. "7Z" Hurricane with yellow fin, taken just after the Indomitable was bombed during "Pedestal". Ian also wrote that "The 880 Squadron Diary indicates that these Pedestal markings were applied to all fighters on August 8th:“All naval fighter aircraft taking part in Pedestal are painted as follows: A yellow strip along the leading edge of both wings. Tail fin painted yellow except for red, white and blue national mark.”"

Summarising: it is true that there are many photos of Indomitable Sea Hurricanes without the yellow "Pedestal" markings, but these were taken before or in the early days of operation. Later, yellow markings were applied, which is confirmed with several photos and a written document. It is also true that the Sea Hurricanes from 880 Sq. had no letter markings on the wing roots.

Best!

G.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, GrzeM said:

In December I started to watch this impressive build, but due to nasty flu I missed the finish. Today I catch-up.

Great build, and super-cool result. Congratulations!

We in Arma Hobby firmly hope that the Popham "7G" scheme is correct, even if we don't have a photo of this particular aeroplane in this particular moment. In general we rarely choose markings not 100% confirmed with photos, but this time we have made an exception - together with Wojciech Łuczak, known Polish aviation expert and great fan of the FAA we decided that Hugh Popham, who flew this plane, deserves such a tribute.

What we have to confirm this scheme? A few photos of other HMS Indomitable Hurricanes, and a knowledge from other Britmodeller thread.

This photo:

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205144800

shows the Indomitable with Sea Hurricanes from both 800 Sq. (left, dark spinner, letter "M" on the fuselage and "6M" on the wing roots) and 880 Sq. (right, sky spinner, no marking on the wing roots) - and both of them have the yellow identification markings clearly visible.

This photo:
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205185912

shows the Indomitable Sea Hurricanes on the HMS Victorious after Indomitable was bombed. Markings are, as expected, similar: 800 Sq. "6G" with dark spinner and "6G" markings on the wing roots, and 880 Sq. "7E" with sky spinner, no "7E" on wing roots. Both planes have visible yellow wing leading edges, the fins are in shadow, hard to say if they are yellow or not.

Additional info we have from @iang contribution to the recent discussion in general thread about Hurricanes. Ian confirmed that there is a photo of 880 Sq. "7Z" Hurricane with yellow fin, taken just after the Indomitable was bombed during "Pedestal". Ian also wrote that "The 880 Squadron Diary indicates that these Pedestal markings were applied to all fighters on August 8th:“All naval fighter aircraft taking part in Pedestal are painted as follows: A yellow strip along the leading edge of both wings. Tail fin painted yellow except for red, white and blue national mark.”"

Summarising: it is true that there are many photos of Indomitable Sea Hurricanes without the yellow "Pedestal" markings, but these were taken before or in the early days of operation. Later, yellow markings were applied, which is confirmed with several photos and a written document. It is also true that the Sea Hurricanes from 880 Sq. had no letter markings on the wing roots.

Best!

G.

Thanks so much Grzegorz,

It was a pleasure to build yet another stunning kit from Arma Hobby.

Your kind words and all the info are greatly appreciated.

I hope you're feeling better now.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Thanks 1