North American PBJ-1H Mitchell

JTninja

My main entry for this event is something I've wanted to build for a while, the PBJ-1H. The North American B-25 is one of my favorite aircraft, a medium bomber that became incredibly versatile. Used in the Pacific, these US Marine operated bombers were used in low level attacks and anti-shipping. VMB-613 started operating 15 PBJ-1H in early 1944. 

I'll be using Hasegawa's 1/72 kit. I picked up the kit for a good price, but the decals are missing. I'll have to source some, but in the meantime, I've picked up some accessories as well.

okKA6LL.jpg

xdznqNV.jpg

• Like 19

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A quick look at the slow progress from this past month.

3y1MFyh.jpg

VMB-613 removed the upper turrets once arriving in the Pacific, to help remove weight and increase range. Installed in its place were viewing domes (similar to earlier B-25s). 

gX7Su7R.jpg

8DyHaV4.jpg

Time to start painting the interior

eubJM85.jpg

• Like 12

🤬

This is the 2nd Hasegawa kit I've ever built. And the decals are going on the exactly same as the first. 

Here's the instrument panel, originally a single piece, which immediately broke up as I started sliding it off the sheet. Every time I tried to adjust it, it continued to break into smaller pieces. I tried to salvage it the best I could. This is at least 20 pieces

kw1G9Uw.jpg

Im going to try to source replacement decals from another brand for as much of the exterior as I can. 

Edited by JTninja
  • Like 1
  • Sad 7

Nice work so far on the Marine Mitchell.

I think for the IP I would just google a decent IP photo, scale it down to size, print on good quality photo paper.  Cut out and glue it to the kit IP (I have done this on a couple of models).  You can glaze the instruments with super glue.  A lot of the IP will be hidden by the thickness of the canopy and combing anyway..

• Like 3

While I wait to do the final touches on the cockpit, I decided to get started on the starboard wing. At the start of operations for the Marine PBJs, the radar equipment was initially housed in what was the lower belly turret. This offered a great field of view for the radar, but the ocean waves did cause quite a bit of interference. They next managed to install the radar on the nose, known as the hose nose. Late '44 onwards saw the introduction of wing mounted radar, which was found on the PBJ-1H of VMB-613.

Brengun Models offers a resin wing tip, which I'll be using here. First thing was the remove the wing tip from the resin, and sand for mounting the nose piece. Then I cut into the starboard wing, removing the estimated material. Once superglued, the nose cone was attached and I filled in the gaps with putty

s9NnaQz.jpg

81JOnmu.jpg

I next turned to the HVAR rocket mounting.

lJXsOsG.jpg

These became a favorite for PBJ crews, so I picked up a set from Eduard. Each rocket was held by 2 mounting points on a metal plate that was attached to the underside of the wing, as seen in the picture above. To estimate the size of the plate, I used the image above and placed tape to mark the outside points of the plate. I then placed the rockets side by side to confirm things would fit. 

sEJF1BW.jpg

Then I tried to replicate everything using cut out plastic card. 

GpnwLnd.jpg

Now to do the same to the other side. Cockpit and bomb bay are being mounted to the fuselage right now, 

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update. Finished painting interior and joined the fuselage. I then added the nose (with added weight and putty) and elevator piece. Once I finish the viewing dome, we'll get the canopy attached and masked and get closer to priming. 

UgFKqjZ.jpg

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

I've been working on and off filling this dome for several weeks, and Ive given up any chance of it looking great. Its good enough.

QY8kd5A.jpg

ZVZ4Qw4.jpg

w38wRXQ.jpg

Its not pretty, but it'll work. Camo is now starting to go on the fuselage, though the wings had some rough orange peel, so thats getting redone. I think we're still on track to finish on time.

• Like 4

Dark Sea Blue was painted on the upper surface and protected with a light clear coat. Now the Intermediate Blue has gone down, also will a with protective coat. Tomorrow I hope to put down Insignia White on the bottom. Next I can fix the paint on the wings and improve the rocket mounts spacing (a bit too close right now).

ZAc2ZYq.jpg

• Like 2

Some wingy updates. Fixed the rocket mounting points, sanding the cracked paint, and reprimered. Once dry, I decided to put down the Intermediate Blue. Once protected, I masked it up to lay down Dark Sea Blue on the upper surfaces.

og68X6C.jpg

It was then clear coated.

sDO39Dd.jpg

And a quick mock up

m3PxNy2.jpg

Tomorrow the wings will be masked and ready for Insignia White. Once done, I'll get the engines and landing gear installed. Then final assembly touchups before decals go on. Not sure what decals I'll use, as the kit decals are not usable. I'll try to source some serial numbers for one of the frontline VMB-613 bombers. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I had posted elsewhere, but the the rest of the Hasegawa decals were a write off.

u6K9Hp0.jpg

I grab a random B-25 set from Kits-World in the UK to use the main insignias, which went down very easy.

ME7Vd5n.jpg

Meanwhile, the HVAR rockets had been painted their base coat, with the rear portion drilled out with a 1.3mm drill bit.

8BGZVVv.jpg

Today the wings were installed, followed by the landing gear. 

chaLUfP.jpg

Most importantly, the PBJ is sitting on its nose, and not its tail. Rudder and small bits still need to be added to the rear, but I dont think it will be enough to change the balance. 

TwxXpYQ.jpg

Currently on schedule to finish up Saturday

• Like 4

HVAR knuckles are now installed directly onto the pylons. I went this route as I felt it would be easier to place the rockets into these, compared to first attaching to the rockets, hope they're straight, and then attach to the pylons. 

77tBVqf.jpg

Test mount of the HVARs to double check spacing

OAuHLso.jpg

• Like 6

Waist gun port shield installed, 50 cals and 75mm installed, propellers installed, rockets installed, front wheel installed, and clear coated.

nmrmRaD.jpg

Once dry, I added a little exhaust weathering. I have little to no experience to weathering or panel lines, but thats something to learn another time.

nSTG2dK.jpg

Once the flat coat is on and dry, we can remove the masks and shoot submission photos 

• Like 5