Airfix 1/48 Fairey Gannet 2023

Binbrooksumpy

10 hours ago, LN-KEH said:

It ticks all the boxes for an Airfix release:

British subject from the 50ies/60ies which hasn`t been extensively kitted (I can only think of the Trumpeter kits in 1:72 as competition).

Easy to document with several preserved aircraft in museums in the UK and overseas.

Multiple versions possible of the same basic airframe (ASW, AEW, COD and trainer).

Reasonably size in both 1:72 and 1:48, especially if folded up.

Some interesting colour schemes - FAA, Australian, German Marineflieger and Indonesian + Canadian, Dutch and Indian What Ifs.

If we get an official announcement, I can upload a walkaround of a Gannet on display in Djakarta. 

I really hope you're right. One note though is that the AEW is very, very different from the others and only used by the FAA so not quite as compelling. God knows the CA AS.1/4 could be improved upon but I'd be very happy to see an AEW in 1/48. Not too long to wait though, official announcement in January IIRC.

On 24/12/2022 at 11:43, trickydicky210 said:

Wonder if it could be a vintage classic- Fairey Firefly?

Hrm, not sure the firefly had much to do with White Waltham... 

I'm convinced this is a Rotodyne, first flight from White Waltham afterall, either e re-release, or perhaps even a new tool in 72nd!

4 hours ago, Colin @ Freightdog Models said:

Airfix don't say new tool for 2023, so I'd guess on 1/72 Firefly of Scout re-issue in the Vintage Classics range.

Colin

They really are not going to use the one teaser in their Advent calendar for a Vintage Classics release. That would be marketing malpractice. It’s certainly for a new tool and, certainly the Gannet checks a number of boxes, though there are other options.

On 12/23/2022 at 11:09 PM, LN-KEH said:

British subject from the 50ies/60ies which hasn`t been extensively kitted (I can only think of the Trumpeter kits in 1:72 as competition).

Revell also has a very nice kit of the Gannet in 1/72:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-04397-fairey-gannet-as-mk1-4--102271

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-04845-fairey-gannet-t5--169037

That’s not to be confused with the FROG kit which has also appeared in a Revell box

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-04106-gannet-as-mk-1--135298

On 24/12/2022 at 11:43, trickydicky210 said:

Wonder if it could be a vintage classic- Fairey Firefly?

Or a new tooling Firefly 1. Some export possibilities with it. To either 72 or/and 48 ??

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

1/72 Gannet AEW would sit alongside the Phantom and Buccaneer in Ark Royal in the 70s part of the range 

If it is a Gannet, I would have thought the AS variant would be the go to option...

The Gannet does seem right up Airfixs street as such a classic British aircraft.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hmmmm all this talking about Gannet’s has got me wanting to build one now. I hope they do a new tool and it sells well. 

I have a dilemma... I really want to build an AS/COD Gannet, therefore I'd like a new well designed kit.

In the other hand, I have already bought the CA Gannet and taken my razor saw to the wings to get them folded! 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, wellsprop said:

I have a dilemma... I really want to build an AS/COD Gannet, therefore I'd like a new well designed kit.

In the other hand, I have already bought the CA Gannet and taken my razor saw to the wings to get them folded! 

Your sacrifice is much appreciated 🤣

• Haha 3

I wouldn't say no to either a Gannet or a Firebox in 1:48, but I reckon a Gannet's more likely. The Firefly has already been done by Special Hobby (yes, I know that doesn't make any money for Airfix, but it is still available and so decreases the potential market) and, whilst the Gannet has been done by Classic Airframes, it is no longer generally available. Logically, it should be an AS version, which had more users (UK, Australia, Germany, Indonesia) than the AEW one (UK only).

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, wellsprop said:

Depending on how a new tool is molded you may be able to adapt the folded wings ? 

If it is between the AS or AEW give me the AEW version as it is more interesting IMHO. I have done the Sword kit in 1/72 but if Airfix was to do a AEW with folded wings in 1/72 my wallet would be waiting.

Regards

Robert

Edited by Robert
  • Like 1

I’m going to start a Revell Gannet WIP thread for the Salty Dog GB - this starts on the 7th of Jan. Three days later, Airfix will announce their new tool Gannet kit on the 10th. Naturally, this will generate one of those ‘All you wanted to know’ threads, which will raise my interest in the subject and suit my build plans perfectly. 

Cheers.. (a very convinced) Dave 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, wellsprop said:

The CA Gannet has several fit issues in the fuselage. With work they can be addressed but it isn't easy. Nose piece smaller than the fuselage, canopies need mountings added to stop them dropping into the fuselage, all cockpit floors and bulkheads need replacing, and maybe more but it went into the Mountain of Doom at that point.