Airfix 1/48 Fairey Gannet 2023

Binbrooksumpy

4 hours ago, 71chally said:

Is it not opening for anyone else here?

If not try Daves' suggestion above.

Apparently the same build is in the very latest Airfix magazine.

Definitely doesn't work for me anyway, even trying Dave's suggestion!

It worked for me and I just wanted to say I love the wing folds.  I don't know if they would ever fold the wing with a rockets mounted on the wings but it looks great in any case.  The builder cut the major markings with a siloette cutter and then spayed them, which is pretty cool.

Hannants / Xtradecal have a new and pretty comprehensive decal sheet coming out for the Gannet.

It has 10 different Gannets on it, and really opens up options for building German, Australian and Indonesian Gannets,

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X48237

Hopefully it will be followed up with ECMs and more trainer Gannets.

Alongside this there are the existing sheets by Xtradecal (48- 060) which covers 4 Gannets and Printscale (48-69 covering) 2 Gannets.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 06/10/2023 at 10:08, 71chally said:

Test build of the new Airfix Gannet here, looks rather nice!

@Richard Spreckley Key Model World

https://www.keymodelworld.com/article/airfix-new-tool-148-fairey-gannet-full-build

Gan%20fin%204%20crop.jpg?itok=qxmbw4Nt

I've just read that article in the Airfix Modelword and noticed on page 57 that the catapult hooks, below the wings, appear to be back to front.  Can those hooks be rotated?  I thought that they were a fixed item bolted/welded to the airframe.  Looking again, even if they could be rotated, the way it is on the model would have the hook facing upwards.  Methinks those hooks should be on the opposite sides and the open hook facing down.

cheers,

Mike

Let us pause a minute and thank the 1/48 universe for Dynavector making this all possible.  Do you think we'd have any injection molded kits if they had not paved the way?

Gannet         CA, Airfix

Wyvern         Trumpeter

Sea Vixen     Airfix

Scimitar        That new company DBMK or something

Javelin          Airfix

Skyshark      Clearprop

Hornet         CA, Trumpeter (but it is misshapen)

TSR-2           Airfix

• Like 3

On 9/10/2023 at 3:50 PM, KevinK said:

More like this, you mean?

145455-11185-pristine.jpg

I gotta tell you man, that Buc flying over the waves with a Japanese Zero in flames is one of the wildest box arts ever.  That 1966 box art (according to Scalemates) predates The Final Countdown by 14 years.   

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, bootneck said:

I've just read that article in the Airfix Modelword and noticed on page 57 that the catapult hooks, below the wings, appear to be back to front.  Can those hooks be rotated?  I thought that they were a fixed item bolted/welded to the airframe.  Looking again, even if they could be rotated, the way it is on the model would have the hook facing upwards.  Methinks those hooks should be on the opposite sides and the open hook facing down.

Irony heaped upon irony, now I can't open the Key article!

I found some images of the build on the 'net, and yes, I think you're right it does look like the catapult hooks have been put on back to front!

In theory they should be able to swap them over, side to side and that would then make them right.

In reality the hooks were bolted to the airframe, with some hefty bolts!

@Ad-4N agree about the Dynavector sentiment.

On 06/10/2023 at 10:08, 71chally said:

Test build of the new Airfix Gannet here, looks rather nice!

@Richard Spreckley Key Model World

https://www.keymodelworld.com/article/airfix-new-tool-148-fairey-gannet-full-build

Please dont link to subscriber only content, thx

On 06/10/2023 at 14:03, bentwaters81tfw said:

Key is weird. Apparently I am permanently banned from their website. I'd love to know why as I have never been a member. :shrug:

They must know you  :wicked:

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Julien said:

Please dont link to subscriber only content, thx

@Julien¬†This appears to be ‚Äėpremium content from a subscription product‚Äô with unlimited access as a means to advertise the type of content that is available if you do purchase a subscription. So not really subscriber only.

Peter

3 hours ago, Julien said:

Please don't link to subscriber only content, thx

I genuinely didn't realise it was, when I found the content on the web it let me view the whole article without any suggestion of subscription.  Strangely this morning it has allowed me to do so again.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, dambuster said:

@Julien¬†This appears to be ‚Äėpremium content from a subscription product‚Äô with unlimited access as a means to advertise the type of content that is available if you do purchase a subscription. So not really subscriber only.

Peter

this is what you see;

Want to read more?

This is a premium article and requires an active Key Model World subscription.

As such dont link to it on BM, its quite simple.

5 minutes ago, 71chally said:

I genuinely didn't realise it was, when I found the content on the web it let me view the whole article without any suggestion of subscription.  Strangely this morning it has allowed me to do so again.

understood, thx

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...

Saw that on Jadlam's website earlier today and wondered if Airfix have given up on their short-lived practice of notifying and shipping to their advance customers ahead of the retail trade.