Airfix 1/48 Fairey Gannet 2023

Binbrooksumpy

21 hours ago, SleeperService said:

@71chally I thought one pylon would carry the starter in a pod set-up on land-based types that might be expected to land away from home? Usually carried on the starboard pylon.

On the AS shape Gannets it was only the COD that was modified to carry a Palouste starter pod on the wing pylon.   Going from photos it seems that it was far more commonly carried by AEWs, and always under the port wing.  I'm guessing the port wing was used as that naturally orientated the pod so that its exhaust was pointing outboard away from the aircraft.

Thinking on it, I'm not sure I can remember seeing a picture of a COD carrying a starter pod at all.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 71chally said:

On the AS shape Gannets it was only the COD that was modified to carry a Palouste starter pod on the wing pylon.   Going from photos it seems that it was far more commonly carried by AEWs, and always under the port wing.  I'm guessing the port wing was used as that naturally orientated the pod so that its exhaust was pointing outboard away from the aircraft.

Thinking on it, I'm not sure I can remember seeing a picture of a COD carrying a starter pod at all.

I've found exactly one photo captioned as the starter pod on a COD.4 it's 040 (XA466? or XG790) and a better picture is in the Warpaint and HERE  and..it looks nothing like the starter pod so mis-identification and an unavoidable human error on my part. I haven't got the AS.4 pilots notes but the T.2 could carry two droppable fuel tanks in the bomb bay. With the inner wing fuel tank referred to as the stub wing tank I think it unlikely that the FAA would routinely use something without mention in the notes. So starter pod on anything other than AEW seems unlikely. 

Yep, you're right about the port wing too. I often get left and right mixed up, not good when giving directions to people....

Off to go through what I have to see when the starter pod appeared which should nail it.

EDIT: Nearly forgot this for atmosphere https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdBrfiYYQ8U

ANOTHER EDIT: Found what I was looking for LINKY I think I'll go away and let my brain cool down. I may have been dreaming above.... Sorry. 

@AntPhillips they didn't! I did hear something about people looking over it, and I think that's what I based my AEW.3 guess on.   I hope it is released one day.

Very interesting blog report though, nice to see some trainers scanned, that hints at another possible boxing.

Edited by 71chally

On 16/01/2023 at 17:06, petetasker said:

Weren't Flying S Models working on both a 1/48 and 1/32 resin AEW3. That project seems to have gone very quiet!

Flying S now work in collaboration with Alan Wilson (IFA) so you never know. AFAIK not in their current schedule.

• 7 months later...

And here's the future Xtradecal sheet - ref. X48237 - Fairey Gannet COD.4/AS.4/T.2/T.5 - Collection :clap2:

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X48237

• Fairey Gannet COD.4 - XA430, "074"/"E" - Royal Navy, aboard HMS Eagle - 1960s;
  • Fairey Gannet COD.4 - XG786, "FOAC"/"2" - assigned to Flag Officer Carriers, Ship's Flight, Royal Navy, aboard HMS Ark Royal - 1963;
  • Fairey Gannet AS.4 - XA321, "293"/"O" - 815 NAS - Royal Navy, aboard HMS Ark Royal - 1956;
  • Fairey Gannet AS.4 - XA471, "280"/"E" - 814 NAS - Royal Navy, aboard HMS Eagle - 1960s;
  • Fairey Gannet T.2 - XA514, "878"/"NW" - Royal Australian Navy, based at Nowra, Australia - 1960s;
  • Fairey Gannet AS.4 - UA+112 - MFG 3 - Federal German Navy - 1960s;
  • Fairey Gannet T.5 - XG882, "450"/"CU" - 849 NAS - Headquarters Flight, Royal Navy, based at RNAS Culdrose, UK, November - 1964;
  • Fairey Gannet AS.4 - LA-01, "III" - Indonesian Naval Air Arm, based at Morokrembangan AB, Surabaya, Indonesia - 1960;
  • Fairey Gannet T.2 - XG826, "845"/"M" - 816 Squadron - Royal Australian Navy, based aboard HMAS Melbourne - Mid-1960s.

X48237-1.jpg

X48237-2.jpg X48237-5.jpg

X48237-4.jpg X48237-6.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 10

XG882? Hopefully I can make the kit look better than the real thing...

xg882---lucas-walpole-20210907081042.jpg

Not my photo, but did see it myelf a few years ago whilst at an SKC dog show held on site. A real shame the owner has let it get into this state. Apparently there's a bucc in a shed somewhere nearby, couldn't find it though.

James.

• Sad 6

21 hours ago, Jagdtiger1 said:

XG882? Hopefully I can make the kit look better than the real thing...

xg882---lucas-walpole-20210907081042.jpg

Not my photo, but did see it myelf a few years ago whilst at an SKC dog show held on site. A real shame the owner has let it get into this state. Apparently there's a bucc in a shed somewhere nearby, couldn't find it though.

James.

I would have no trouble building that, that's what most of my builds look like anyway"

• Haha 7

I'm assuming all the aircraft on the forthcoming Xtradecal sheet will be appropriate for the new Airfix Kit without too much modification? I'm particularly interested in the RN COD.4 and T.5 and the Aussie T2. Thanks

• Like 1

2 hours ago, keithjs said:

I'm assuming all the aircraft on the forthcoming Xtradecal sheet will be appropriate for the new Airfix Kit without too much modification? I'm particularly interested in the RN COD.4 and T.5 and the Aussie T2. Thanks

Thats a very good question as I'm also after a COD.4 but am a complete noob when it comes to what changes will need to be made to turn a ASW variant into the Onboard delivery variant

1 hour ago, The_Lancaster said:

Thats a very good question as I'm also after a COD.4

COD is easy, remove the radome and plate over with plasticard or filler.

There are some aerial changes, so worth studying pictures.

Trainers have the deepened canopy rails fairing on the port side to cover the dual controls of the front two cockpits, and the periscope if course. It also had a full instrument panel in the 2nd cockpit. 

Certainly doable modifications though.

I don't think there's been enough detail about the kit yet to know what will be included or not, would be nice if it's as comprehensive for the various versions as their new Sea King kit is.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 71chally said:

COD is easy, remove the radome and plate over with plasticard or filler.

There are some aerial changes, so worth studying pictures.

Trainers have the deepened canopy rails fairing on the port side to cover the dual controls of the front two cockpits, and the periscope if course. It also had a full instrument panel in the 2nd cockpit. 

Certainly doable modifications though.

I don't think there's been enough detail about the kit yet to know what will be included or not, would be nice if it's as comprehensive for the various versions as their new Sea King kit is.

One or two CODs retained the radome, at least initially. They were usually seen with underwing tanks (or storage pods?) but you occasionally saw them without too.

No evidence Airfix will do a T or COD but I’d be surprised if they didn’t- they scanned a T as part of the project, and it’s an easy extra boxing

11 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

(...) They just might be teasing you Homebee?

Cheers.. Dave 

It's just un-bea-rable, I've got to say. :winkgrin:

GAN2.png

https://uk.airfix.com/community/blog-and-news?search=&topic=/airfix-uk/community/blog-and-news/workbench&sort_by=date_published&records_per_page=16&page=1&inputValueChanged=topic

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Haha 1

Fixed ! Workbench: Fairey Gannet scheme detail review

https://uk.airfix.com/community/blog-and-news/workbench/fairey-gannet-scheme-detail-review

e41f4b62-a0a2-4d0f-937e-4e489e4ebfad.jpg

Such an unusual looking aircraft, the Fairey Gannet was the first British designed aircraft in Fleet Air Arm history to combine both search and strike roles. It was also usually the first aircraft to take off and the last to land during any day of operational flying.

3f322936-c6cf-48bd-863e-3e457fd85f7d.jpg

09880ae1-3c98-4e60-a041-0b03cfe057e7.jpg

fc865998-19da-45f7-acd2-a7fd8408a8d9.jpg

a7e56849-4b5e-460e-8897-d968908bdb44.jpg

1387a6e7-c116-420e-99d7-c6d5221d83a3.jpg

Scheme A - Fairey Gannet AS.4 XA460, No.849 Naval Air Squadron, HQ Training Flight, Royal Naval Air Station Culdrose, circa 1959.

8d1575df-5298-4380-9e68-b280835a8bae.jpg

082e067b-826f-42fe-8fe6-7ab9d284c5f4.jpg

Scheme B - Fairey Gannet AS.4 XA418, No.815 Naval Air Squadron, HMS Ark Royal, 1958.

f7359abf-e49d-4e69-8b10-264dda76be66.jpg

41aa651c-d7b5-4df7-9489-39af63db6604.jpg

Scheme C - Fairey Gannet AS.1 XA335, No.847 Naval Air Squadron, RAF Nicosia, Cyprus, 1957.

1803ba5c-3c87-4e93-ac88-1f5167652954.jpg

9030c99f-c1b4-4fb3-b9dd-baef34c674de.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 8