Airfix 1/48 Fairey Gannet 2023

Binbrooksumpy

14 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

The CA Gannet kit is already being flogged off at a well known auction site Down Under… the listing prices are let’s just say…  ‘Interesting’? 

It was a fine if challenging kit to build. Rather chunky in style, even for a Gannet! I'm hopingthe Airfix offering will be a litle more subtle.

14 hours ago, Phoenix44 said:

Great for those who wanted one but I can't help feeling this is a bit of a niche choice. I can't see many outside the UK buying it on impulse, particularly at £55 and 1960/70s FAA isn't the biggest fan base. Hopefully Airfix know what they are doing though but I feel there are bigger opportunities being missed. And disappointingly (for me at least) it's the only "new new" 1/48 offering this year. 

American here and plan on buying one so there is some interest. I have a bit of fascination currently with 1950’s to 1980’s Nav-Air and like both U.S.N. & others. Id love to see a modern new tool IMP Scimitar as I think the plane is a looker. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, 71chally said:

The radome (and associated black boxes/displays) and its rear underside panel was removed and a smooth panel fitted in its place, like the trainers had. 

In fact XA430 served as COD/COURIER for a while with the radome (at least) still installed.

There were changes and additions of various aerials during the CODs longer service life, noticeably the 'towel rail' on the forward port bomb door, and two whips on the pedestal mid upper fuselage.

There are already some nice 48th decals available for alternative AS/T/COD & ECM Gannets, such as Xtradecal X48060 and PrintScale 48-069.

Be great to see more, I'm not sure Indonesian Gannets are covered in this scale yet.

Excellent, thanks! 

4 hours ago, Britman said:

You still have the Dynavecta?

Keith 

I've got that too! I've gone from no Gannets to 2 Gannets, plus 1 on order from Airfix 😂

25 minutes ago, wellsprop said:

Excellent, thanks! 

I've got that too! I've gone from no Gannets to 2 Gannets, plus 1 on order from Airfix 😂

I sent it to you in exchange for a 48th Fairy IIIF!

I hope to post the finished results soon.

Keith 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

American here and plan on buying one so there is some interest. I have a bit of fascination currently with 1950’s to 1980’s Nav-Air and like both U.S.N. & others. Id love to see a modern new tool IMP Scimitar as I think the plane is a looker. 

I'm very glad to say, Naval aviation is FINALLY getting the attention it deserves. Once the Gannet and Scimitar have been released, in terms of post-war, fixed-wing Fleet Air Arm Aircraft, the only aircraft that is unobtanium is the Sea Venom (which Pilot Replicas are working on).

• Like 2

Very nice, so soon after the Vampire, Buccaneer, Anson and the ICM Beaufort, my credit card is starting to groan...

I am going to rattle the box of my half built 1/48 Airfix Sea Harrier and see if it rouses the modeling gods.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2023 at 12:18 PM, Phoenix44 said:

Great for those who wanted one but I can't help feeling this is a bit of a niche choice. I can't see many outside the UK buying it on impulse, particularly at £55 and 1960/70s FAA isn't the biggest fan base. Hopefully Airfix know what they are doing though but I feel there are bigger opportunities being missed. And disappointingly (for me at least) it's the only "new new" 1/48 offering this year. 

23 hours ago, jenko said:

So was the Javalin if we are being honest about it. 

I think there are a lot of FAA supporters out there on the quiet.

Sometimes Airfix just want to look after  their hard core friends. 

Gets my vote every time BUT I just love FAA subjects.  

Dick

It probably is, but personally and maybe there are many like me where I buy kits on what I like the look of and don't give a damn about scale, subject etc and you can say many things about the Gannet but one thing is for sure nothing else looks like it :) If I have to be pinned to an interest it's the sort of thing seen at Farnborough in the 50's/60's and this does slot in well so I'll be nabbing one to join the Sea Vixen and Javelin which of course I haven't built 😁

There are also plenty of survivors about and had a long career so with being so different it could do well, Airfix seems to think so, they have a much wider perspective than we do and for sales abroad, I'm guessing the vast majority of Airfix kits are sold in the UK anyway, this produced in UK too hopefully

• Like 2

On 11/01/2023 at 17:26, jenko said:

So was the Javalin if we are being honest about it. 

I think there are a lot of FAA supporters out there on the quiet.

Sometimes Airfix just want to look after  their hard core friends. 

Gets my vote every time BUT I just love FAA subjects.  

Dick

True, the Javelin is a bit of an oddity that seems to have done well - though one went on eBay a week or so ago for only £30. But I'd almost certainly buy an Airfix Sea Harrier or FAA Phantom in 1/48, and I'm betting they would sell better overall, but that's just a guess. What amazes me is that they believed a 1/24 Typhoon would sell well but apparently think a 1/48 Gannet will sell better than a 1/48 Typhoon.

4 hours ago, Phoenix44 said:

What amazes me is that they believed a 1/24 Typhoon would sell well but apparently think a 1/48 Gannet will sell better than a 1/48 Typhoon.

Subject choice is a balance of cost, parts count, projected sales, comparison with competition and a pinch of eccentricity. 

• Like 1

Well I think the point is that the 1/24 Tiffie did sell- LOTS - it was cited a few years ago in Hornby reports as generating most of Airfix's profit that year.

The Gannet will make for a very impressive model with oodles of detail which is - apparently - what the punters want - I'm told that the Japanese market loves stuff like this too which was a little left-field - and of course Airfix are a global brand to a greater or lesser degree. 

All power to them, its outside my wheelhouse but I'm pleased so many people are pleased which means Airfix get a return and continue to trade. I'm not an armour builder generally but the Ferret is genius and I'll be getting one for sure!

TT

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Phoenix44 said:

What amazes me is that they believed a 1/24 Typhoon would sell well but apparently think a 1/48 Gannet will sell better than a 1/48 Typhoon.

They possibly don't feel any need to follow any release with an immediate downsize.

Otherwise: It is cash in the attic for Airfix,  regarding downsizing.

Airfix can - in the future - release any 1/72 or 1/48  Anson, Gannet, Walrus, Hellcat, Typhoon, and any others that they decide to downsize.

I'm pretty sure they will release smaller versions of the Walrus, Typhoon, Javelin, etc. I can't  see any reason why they wouldn't. 

Edited by New Tool

If you can't wait for this to come out. The Classic Airframes  kit is going for £270 on ebay. 

Yes £270 .....totally bonkers

Dick 

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, jenko said:

If you can't wait for this to come out. The Classic Airframes  kit is going for £270 on ebay. 

Yes £270 .....totally bonkers

Dick 

with the Airfix kit on the way, then surely that must be someone wanting one for the collection rather than to be built , or at least I would hope so!

On 1/11/2023 at 10:57 AM, 71chally said:

AS.4s XA460 446 849 NAS HQ Flt c.1960, XA418 R-292 815 NAS HMS Ark Royal c.1958 and AS.1 XA391 B-321 820 NAS HMS Bulwark c.1957. 

Persist with the Dynavector, it's a superb kit and an enjoyable experience.

I bought the CA kits when they were sold cheap under Hannants branding, so no loss there!

Hi James, Well I am yet to retire, although hopefullt that will be resolved later this year, so am short of hobby time, and I already bought the Dynavector Hornet to try a quality vacform so will have to think about keeping it to build. So many kits, all with definite plans to build!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, neilh said:

Hi James, Well I am yet to retire, although hopefullt that will be resolved later this year, so am short of hobby time, and I already bought the Dynavector Hornet to try a quality vacform so will have to think about keeping it to build. So many kits, all with definite plans to build!

Check you have the little erratum sheet, if not I can scan you a copy - but it's nothing vital. I'm building mine now, in hopes that so doing will magically make space for an Airfix one in future. Fit so far is very precise (all bits trimmed out, prop blades fitted to spinner, front cockpits assembled), although I'm doing my best to jinx that by incorporating an Airwaves wingfold, which should make it look even more ugly cute and take up less display space.

Paul.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fullofit said:

I hope it was a porkpie hat.

No it was a beanie! I'm still not convinced that the Gannet will be successful. Ok Airfix said it was the most requested model but I don't think that's from the most representative sample. Don't get me wrong, I'm a lover of the Gannet and have built the Sword AEW3 and have the Revell kit in the stash but not convinced that a 1950's RN  aircraft will sell well, hope to be proved wrong 

Cheers, Paul

• Haha 1

I'm buying one even though I was only really interested in an AEW.3. Mine will be an ECM.6 or, more likely, a COD.4 from the early 1970s.

Just can't resist the crazy Z-shaped folded wing option. 

Tony

• Like 1

On 1/11/2023 at 12:18 PM, Phoenix44 said:

I can't see many outside the UK buying it on impulse, particularly at £55 and 1960/70s FAA isn't the biggest fan base.

Of course by selecting the Gannet AS.1/AS.4 Airfix have been able to extend the "home market" for this particular type to it's overseas operators - Australia, Germany and Indonesia. And I'm sure that will represent a healthy market beyond FAA fans. Its pretty noteworthy that no aircraft from these countries feature in the initial release, almost guaranteeing that Airfix will do a follow-up reboxing with the markings for these 3 countries. Also being a very quirky looking aircraft type it may well attract those modellers who would not otherwise buy an obsure British naval aircraft just because of its odd appearance; especially with folded wings (that's my excuse anyway...).

Rich 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, RichG said:

Also being a very quirky looking aircraft type it may well attract those modellers who would not otherwise buy an obsure British naval aircraft just because of its odd appearance; especially with folded wings (that's my excuse anyway...).

One of my reasons to purchase, I kind of like oddball looking aircraft. 

• Like 2

The Gannet has inspired me to start doing FAA stuff now, previously I’ve only done RAF and USAFE. But I think the Gannet looks so cool I want one, which means I need some companions for it, i.e. the Airfix FAA Buccaneer which I previously didn’t want as I was waiting for an RAF one, the Sea Vixen which I was selling on eBay but will now keep, and probably a couple of other 50s/60s FAA types in 1/48. 

• Like 3