Airfix 1/48 Fairey Gannet 2023

Binbrooksumpy

1 hour ago, Lord Riot said:

I’m delighted with this, guess I will do some FAA in 1/48 instead of just RAF and USAFE now. 

Anyone know when we’ll see the planned markings for it?

They are shown in the video, I think.

See here: The Gannet is at 3.00 minutes into the video.

https://youtu.be/8eChmXvb5ME

Edited by New Tool
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well  I never. Felt like I’d won the lottery guessing almost correctly (I went for AEW versio ). Nevertheless I’m so happy that Airfix are focusing on the thing they do best, Great British aircraft. 
Next year I predict (hope) a range of 1/48 helicopters Westland Wasp/Scout, Whirlwind and or Wessex.

Well done Airfix and long May you continue to hit the bullseye 🎯 

• Like 3

Would love to do one for RAN!

Wonder, what price Airfix is going to slap on that. They went a bit of upmarket with some of their kits.

BTW @NAVY870, is that shed you frolicking in, still "off limits" to the public?

Would be more than 25 years I visited that place. Loved it!

zig

On 12/23/2022 at 10:01 PM, neilh said:

My guess is that since I just picked up a Dynavector Gannet on E Bay for a decent price, Airfix will release one in 2023....😁

and I requote myself from December 23rd - anyone want a vac form ? 😀

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, zigster said:

Would love to do one for RAN!

Wonder, what price Airfix is going to slap on that. They went a bit of upmarket with some of their kits.

BTW @NAVY870, is that shed you frolicking in, still "off limits" to the public?

Would be more than 25 years I visited that place. Loved it!

zig

It's showing a UK retail of £54.99, so with exchange rates going the way they are, by the time it's released it would probably work out at AU$ 54.99 😁

https://uk.airfix.com/new-2023/new-aircraft?encoded=Tc9RC4JADAfwr3JPvhVphfZwREFREBT0KHIsnTY672Sekd8-Map7Gvv9N9jWGkx1AXeXQFzSa9I9gpK0Q27Tve7JVOJgO24z-eOajGqYcszk7I_w-mIcTRerX7Bj8HavD9JanPCJ2tML4-TMBbJnezLU3j3YMpjC648Oa3HNQaN_2zADznKvPqJufZY2bIsud6pi2zWZ3IyPiqHkDKUT0TxooEJFhQyj5TyJg9ayGzZlMgYyfAM

Edited by B_Bogus

6 hours ago, SleeperService said:

I've been laughing at my CA part-built for a while now. That'll teach it.

You and me both! 

3 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

The CA Gannet kit is already being flogged off at a well known auction site Down Under… the listing prices are let’s just say…  ‘Interesting’? 

Mine will be getting flogged soon... Albeit at a very agreeable price (for my own wellbeing, please don't ask what I paid for it) 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Anyone know when we’ll see the planned markings for it?

AS.4s XA460 446 849 NAS HQ Flt c.1960, XA418 R-292 815 NAS HMS Ark Royal c.1958 and AS.1 XA391 B-321 820 NAS HMS Bulwark c.1957. 

8 hours ago, neilh said:

and I requote myself from December 23rd - anyone want a vac form ? 😀

Persist with the Dynavector, it's a superb kit and an enjoyable experience.

I bought the CA kits when they were sold cheap under Hannants branding, so no loss there!

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I used to cycle past the entrance to HMS Gannet at Prestwick Airport when they had a Gannet as a gate guardian and I always thought it an unattractive barrel of a thing. Afraid my opinion remains unchanged.

Says me an unattractive barrel of a modeller.

😬

• Haha 4

Great for those who wanted one but I can't help feeling this is a bit of a niche choice. I can't see many outside the UK buying it on impulse, particularly at £55 and 1960/70s FAA isn't the biggest fan base. Hopefully Airfix know what they are doing though but I feel there are bigger opportunities being missed. And disappointingly (for me at least) it's the only "new new" 1/48 offering this year. 

Edited by Phoenix44
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, wellsprop said:

What (noticeable and visible) changes were made to the Gannet AS4 to make it a COD4? Aside from the luggage!/mail pod? 

The radome (and associated black boxes/displays) and its rear underside panel was removed and a smooth panel fitted in its place, like the trainers had. 

In fact XA430 served as COD/COURIER for a while with the radome (at least) still installed.

There were changes and additions of various aerials during the CODs longer service life, noticeably the 'towel rail' on the forward port bomb door, and two whips on the pedestal mid upper fuselage.

There are already some nice 48th decals available for alternative AS/T/COD & ECM Gannets, such as Xtradecal X48060 and PrintScale 48-069.

Be great to see more, I'm not sure Indonesian Gannets are covered in this scale yet.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Britman said:

It was a good year last year and if like me you haven't caught up with that then this year's selection will be there when I am ready.

Keith 

True enough - I'm complaining about a not very new Bucc having not actually bought, let alone made the first one! Or the Vampire even...

• Like 1

On 1/10/2023 at 4:39 PM, wellsprop said:

Well.... 

I spent a silly amount on the Classic Airframes kit, and began cutting up the wings for the wing folding, before promptly shelving the build because its so challenging.

The modelling gods are harsh. 

You can thank me later. 

You still have the Dynavecta?

Keith 

5 hours ago, Phoenix44 said:

Great for those who wanted one but I can't help feeling this is a bit of a niche choice. 

So was the Javalin if we are being honest about it. 

I think there are a lot of FAA supporters out there on the quiet.

Sometimes Airfix just want to look after  their hard core friends. 

Gets my vote every time BUT I just love FAA subjects.  

Dick

• Like 4

still haven't managed to get the Javelin but I won't make that error with the Gannet. It is at the top of my wants list and I will do a pre-order.  I have the Dynavector Gannet and I plan to do two different versions, when I get the Airfix kit.

cheers,

Mike