Airfix 1/48 Fairey Gannet 2023

Binbrooksumpy

For me a 1/48 AEW version with folding wings would be best.  I have the CA Gannet, and as SleeperService said above, it has issues but maybe I can get it done.  

• Like 2

Ive been hoping for a new gannet from Airfix for a while.  Hopefully next year may be the year.  I for one really hope its not a AEW, as that would limit its sales.

The AS1, to  me makes far more sense, being used by more air arms, therefore more scope for future boxings by airfix.

Bruce

Edited by pacificmustang
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, NavyWessex said:

Is the consensus that should Airfix announce a Gannet, that it would be 1/48 and not 1/72?

No, I think that’s wishful thinking. It would make much more sense to do it in 1:72 to match the Phantom’s and Buccaneer in that scale. That’s not to say they wouldn’t up scale it later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

No, I think that’s wishful thinking. It would make much more sense to do it in 1:72 to match the Phantom’s and Buccaneer in that scale. That’s not to say they wouldn’t up scale it later.

But then they could release a Gannet and a Phantom in 1/48 at the same time.   

I sorry it's late and I've been eating cheese ....so am hallucinating.   :jump_fire:

Dick

The ever hopeful 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just adding my two bobs worth, I would think there’s more of a ‘potential’ market for a 1/48 Gannet to fill the void  left behind from the hard to obtain and (when you do find one) expensive Classic Airframes kit. We’ve had the Revell, Trumpeter and Sword kits (of varying versions) in 1/72 scale, so modellers who already have either of these kits are probably less likely to buy another Gannet kit. Don’t get me wrong, my preference is for 1/72 scale, however my head tells me if it is a Gannet, she’ll be a big, folded wing optioned, multi boxed versioned 1/48 scale kit. 

Cheers.. (an often wrong) Dave 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

The big hole in the market for a Gannet is in 1/48th scale. The two options (Dynavector and Classic Airframes) are long out of production and clearly geared to modellers who are comfortable with vac-form and/or multi-media kits; this is not most modellers. And, in 1/48 scale it will go with the new 1/48 Buccaneer. There’s even a little overlap in service history with the Sea Fury. Oh, and don’t forget the Sea Vixen.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I would think there’s more of a ‘potential’ market for a 1/48 Gannet

Tend to agree with you Dave. I think it certainly fits nicely in the "interest zone" of Airfix subject selection for 1/48 as Airfix have a tendency to like doing 50s/60s subjects in the bigger scale, particularly FAA subjects; it sits well with not just Buccaneer but their Sea Vixen too. It's also has a certain complexity/quirkyness (some may say ugliness) that might appeal to Airfix in 1/48. Whereas, to my mind at least, Airfix seem to have a preference for 70s/80s RAF cold war types in 1/72. 

Big dilemma is which version though; as was said earlier AS/COD and AEW variants differ so much would probably need to be essentially 2 different kits. If they did a Gannet at all my money would be on the AEW.3  purely on ugliness quotient... (off the scale 🤣)  

Rich

6 hours ago, tony.t said:

1/48 AEW.3, which would leave just an FG.1/F-4K to complete the Ark trio in a good scale.

Failing that, a ... (not allowed to wish-list with a 1/48 handley Page Halifax)

Tony

Ark trio? What about the Wessex HAS.1 and Sea King to join them? 

As much as I would like to see a Fairey Gannet, any of the following could appear:

Battle, Fulmar, Barracuda, Albacore, Firefly ( in 1/72 or 1/48)

and of course the Swordfish in 1/48 to sit nicely with the Walrus. 

They have all been modelled before of course, but would imagine if a Fairey Aircraft was chosen they would all be up for consideration. 

26 minutes ago, trickydicky210 said:

any of the following could appear:

Doubt it, none of them had a connection to White Waltham airfield (which was the clue).

The Fairey hangar there was post war and predominantly rotary, the only fixed wing Fairey aircraft associated with White Waltham was the Fairey Gannets built at Hayes, which were flight tested from there. Hayes built AS1, T2, AEW3, AS4 and T5 Gannets, so there's no clue as to which mark it could be, or which scale.

• Like 2

Now to put the cat amongst the pigeons ..............................

In the latest Flypast magazine (which is connected to the Airfix magazine) there is a small article about the Fairey Barracuda. It first entered service with the FAA on the 10th. January 80 years ago.

Now the 10th. January  is about the right time for the big Airfix reveal.

Food for thought.

Dick

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, jenko said:

Now the 10th. January  is about the right time for the big Airfix reveal.

Interesting coincidence and just like the Gannets unique wingfold, the Barracuda’s wing stowage mechanism is even stranger. Both would be very interesting to design and model. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RichG said:

Big dilemma is which version though; as was said earlier AS/COD and AEW variants differ so much would probably need to be essentially 2 different kits. If they did a Gannet at all my money would be on the AEW.3  purely on ugliness quotient... (off the scale 🤣)  

Rich

I'd say unlikely.  Airfix have seemingly decided to tool only the UK built Beauforts and ignore the Australian 'variant'.

The above Gannet variants differ so much more from the Anti Submarine model that I feel the same thinking will apply.

In any case there are many, many more subjects they have yet to tool/retool within their resources/budget

1 hour ago, Denford said:

I'd say unlikely.  Airfix have seemingly decided to tool only the UK built Beauforts and ignore the Australian 'variant'.

The above Gannet variants differ so much more from the Anti Submarine model that I feel the same thinking will apply.

In any case there are many, many more subjects they have yet to tool/retool within their resources/budget

I'd say an AEW is more likely if their Shackleton is anything to go by — though we have to wait a couple of weeks to find out exactly what the White Waltham connection is. As postulated by somebody earlier, it could just as easily signify a repop of the 1/72 Fairey Rotodyne. 

And talking of Fairey, the Dora Wings FD.2 is very eagerly awaited, despite it being titchy scale. Maybe one day Airfix will post a picture of Boscombe Down. 

Ton

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tony.t said:

As postulated by somebody earlier, it could just as easily signify a repop of the 1/72 Fairey Rotodyne. 

Really? Really!!!

Airfix gave exactly one clue about a 2023 release in their advent calendar. They aren’t going to waste that on a re-pop of a kit that’s 60+ years old. At least, they would be nuts if they did.

And to be honest, I would be much more excited if they had somehow found and decided to reissue the old FROG Rotodyne as it represents the later configuration of the aircraft.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, wellsprop said:

New tool 1/72 Fairey Rotodyne? 

That would have to be even more riskier than the Swift… one Rotodyne built, one scheme, no export reboxing potential, limited market (one would think?). No, I don’t think new tool, however the old tool with new decals would move off the shelves and be a lot less riskier than investing in a new tool. 

Cheers.. Dave 

12 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

Really? Really!!!

Airfix gave exactly one clue about a 2023 release in their advent calendar. They aren’t going to waste that on a re-pop of a kit that’s 60+ years old. At least, they would be nuts if they did.

With just the one clue I'm guessing more than one WW kit subject is a possibility

(though I think we're over-thinking it as usual) 

Tony  

• Like 1