Airfix 1/48 Fairey Gannet 2023

Binbrooksumpy

I heard from a reasonably reliable source that Airfix had been scouting round the Gannet at Elvington recently.  
A nice AEW Gannet inn1/48 surely appears in most people’s wish list and it certainly ticks the  ‘it’s ugly but…’  box.

C’mon Airfix you know it makes sense

• Like 5

• Binbrooksumpy changed the title to Will Airfix release a 1/48 Fairey Gannet in 2023
1 hour ago, Binbrooksumpy said:

Err can someone cleverer than me change title to read 2023 🤦

No, you’re the only one that can do it (besides Mods), it’s pretty simple, just go to the three dots on the upper right hand corner of the original post, find the edit function, and change your text accordingly. I’m hoping they do an Avro Lincoln by 2923 however! 
Cheers… Dave 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Considering the Airfix Advent Calendar has supposedly a sneaky peak/ clue to one of next years releases and the picture is allegedly of White Waltham airfield (Fairey's flight test airfield after 1947) then I'd say there's a pretty good chance, whether it's an AEW or one the earlier AS Mk's remains to be seen.

It also fits in with my pet theory that Airfix are gradually turning all of the old Dynavector vac kits into mainstream injection moulded kits, see TSR.2, Sea Vixen and Javelin, that leaves just the Gannet, Hornet / Sea Hornet, Scimitar and Skyshark to do, just my own pipe dream lol 😉

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, AntPhillips said:

my pet theory that Airfix are gradually turning all of the old Dynavector vac kits into mainstream injection moulded kits,

Its not a bad theory, whether its based on "great minds think alike" or Airfix sensing Taro Tominari of Dynavector was on to something in his original subject strategy. I'd actually be pretty confident of a Gannet, Hornet and Scimitar appearing from Airfix in 1/48 at some point sooner rather than later. Not sure about the Wyvern - maybe. Even though none are particularly high on my own wish list, they all make pretty interesting subjects and would be right up Airfix's street.

As to the Gannet, the AS verison would possibly give Airfix more options (different operators, bomb bay etc.); but I'm guessing the AEW would be more popular. Tough call.

Rich 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RichG said:

As to the Gannet, the AS verison would possibly give Airfix more options (different operators, bomb bay etc.); but I'm guessing the AEW would be more popular. Tough call.

You’re probably right, however Airfix seem to have a ‘must fill Multi-box’ category, so the AS version should sit higher on their “potential return of investment” pie chart. Stranger things can happen, but my money would be the opposite purely from a financial point of view. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, AntPhillips said:

Considering the Airfix Advent Calendar has supposedly a sneaky peak/ clue to one of next years releases and the picture is allegedly of White Waltham airfield (Fairey's flight test airfield after 1947)

*sneaky peek - Airfix made the same mistake!

Day24-480x320SSneakRevealAdventCalendar

• Like 1

Perhaps Airfix is being sneaky? Maybe the clue isn’t the airfield itself but the control surfaces in the bottom left corner of the picture? Guess what plane these belong to and you have the next year’s release. Do those look like Gannet’s?

It ticks all the boxes for an Airfix release:

British subject from the 50ies/60ies which hasn`t been extensively kitted (I can only think of the Trumpeter kits in 1:72 as competition).

Easy to document with several preserved aircraft in museums in the UK and overseas.

Multiple versions possible of the same basic airframe (ASW, AEW, COD and trainer).

Reasonably size in both 1:72 and 1:48, especially if folded up.

Some interesting colour schemes - FAA, Australian, German Marineflieger and Indonesian + Canadian, Dutch and Indian What Ifs.

If we get an official announcement, I can upload a walkaround of a Gannet on display in Djakarta. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, LN-KEH said:

(I can only think of the Trumpeter kits in 1:72 as competition).

The Revell 1/72 kit from about 2008 I is also out there, although not sure if it’s still in production. 
Cheers.. Dave 

Not sure if this link helps, however I doubt the cut off aircraft wing trailing edges are clues, as the image was taken in 2006. 

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:White_Waltham_Airfield_(1).jpg

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

The big question is......

Will this thread have a Fairey Tail ending ???

Dick

I'm up for a Gannet.

Edited by jenko
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1

You know it could now honestly be anything. Aircraft type’s mentioned in the Wilkipedia page include - Westland Scout and Wasp, Rotodyne, Gannet, Prince Philip learning to fly in his Chipmumk, pre-war training and an association with the ATA. 

Cheers.. Dave 

According to Wiki:

"All 44 Gannet AEW.3s were built at the Fairey factory at Hayes; the prototype and first two production aircraft were then transported by road to RAF Northolt for their first flight. The remainder of the aircraft first flew at White Waltham Airfield."

So the AEW.3 could fly off grass with its extended legs (and the radar and dome may have been fitted at a Navy depot, so it's still in the running (although the Rotodyne theory is depressingly powerful).

Tony

All things aside, one would sincerely hope that all this Airfix ‘teasing’ points to a new tool item, rather than a rehashed Vintage Classic that’s now over sixty years old? 

Perhaps it’s a subtle hint of two products - the Vintage Classic Rotodyne and new tool Gannet or Scout / Wasp kits. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, LN-KEH said:

It ticks all the boxes for an Airfix release:

British subject from the 50ies/60ies which hasn`t been extensively kitted (I can only think of the Trumpeter kits in 1:72 as competition).

Easy to document with several preserved aircraft in museums in the UK and overseas.

Multiple versions possible of the same basic airframe (ASW, AEW, COD and trainer).

Reasonably size in both 1:72 and 1:48, especially if folded up.

Some interesting colour schemes - FAA, Australian, German Marineflieger and Indonesian + Canadian, Dutch and Indian What Ifs.

If we get an official announcement, I can upload a walkaround of a Gannet on display in Djakarta. 

The AEW Gannet is so different from the other versions that it would need a new fuselage as well as many other AEW-specific parts.  It would in effect have to be a different kit IMO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1