Saro SR1A, Xtra kit, 1/72

Grandboof

Hi All 

Clumsy finger time. When dry fitting the canopy I manged to dislodge the seat which decended into the inner depths . It was duely recovered but repositioning reqiured serious surgery . The rear bulkhead was trimmed close to the edge of the seat which was then inserted through the cockpit opening . The resulting alignment was better than before . Sorry I didn't take any photos of the surgery but I hope the scribbles help . If I ever do this kit again I would probably go this way straight up . 

spacer.png

One other thing I would be to leave the fairings on the upper wing until the rear engine components are fitted . The value of hindsight I guess . 

spacer.png

Hope this may be of help to anyone building this later. Thanks for looking in 

Martin H

• Like 6

On 2/18/2023 at 12:56 AM, UberDaveToo said:

I love it! Maybe I can counter with these:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Great Idea , Careful about using the word maybe . Around here it will be seen as a committment . Seriously bulld it 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Hi All 

All masked up and ready for primer . The supplied masks worked well but were a little fiddley . The middle of the canopy masked with Tamiya tape . Not very exiting progress but I need to push this along . More soon thanks for dropping by 

Martin H

spacer.png

• Like 8

Hi All 

The best laid plans to always work . I decided to fit the floats before painting . Was working until I noticed a misalligned float. Should have left it alone and did some filing . Didn't . Pryed it apart with this result 

spacer.png

Plan A Surgerry 

spacer.png

Not the best but should be ok with cleaning . Hopefully will survive painting if not there is a plan B . More after everthing dries . thanks for looking 

Martin H

• Like 6

Hi  All 

So far the sugery has stood up to painting . Primer on colour tomorrow hopefully . This will now be getting a water base for which I do have a plan . Thanks as always for dropping by .

Martin H

spacer.png

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

We now have some colour from a rattle can this time as the spray gun didn't want to play nice . Next clear coat then decals . More soon . Thanks for dropping by

Martin H 

spacer.png

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

Decals are on now . They performed well with no issues or curling . Next step a base of an aquatic nature . First time for everything . Thanks for dropping by 

Martin H

spacer.png

• Like 6

Hi All

Starting the base . First the material . Also great for getting uninterupted bench time . Some may call it bribery but it works . Possible reeat statergy for Xmas Blitz build .

spacer.png

Base colour applied 

spacer.png

More soon after the first layer of "water" is cured . 24 hours as instructed . Thanks for dropping by 

Martin H

• Like 4

Hi All 

Calling this done for better or worse . It has been an educational build but worthwhile . The instructions could have been better . The base is not as sea like sa I would have liked . Next one will be better 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for all your comments and to Col Tony OD and Bertie for a stunning GB

Martin H

• Like 3