Question for Optivisor (or similar) Users

nheather

I use an Optivisor, couldn’t be without it, tried alternatives, other magnifiers, spectacles, but always come back to the OptiVisor.

But here is the question.

I have DA-5 (2.5X) lens and I firmly believe this is the sweet spot for compromise of magnification and focal distance.

But from time to time I fancy a little more magnification, like belt buckles on miniature figures, so I keep looking at the DA-10 (3.5X) but I’ve been put off but the very short focal distance.

The DA-10 has a focal distance of 4” (10cm) and I imagine that the depth of field will be very shallow - so I wonder whether it will bring the figure that I am painting into fantastic clear magnified view but will be so close that I can’t get the paintbrush in to use it.

Son interested if anyone here uses a 3.5X Optivisor or similar and if so what do you think?

I use and love my optivisor fitted with DA-5 lenses.

For when I really need to get a very close view I use the loupe fitted.

It just turns down over one eye, in my case the right eye, and I get all the magnification I need.

The focal plan is very shallow and focal distance is around 2 1/2"-3".

Downside is the magnification is only on one eye but I find it fine for those times I need the magnification.

Using a paint brush is no issue being off the the side of my right eye.

Saves me changing lenses or buying another visor.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, dromia said:

I use and love my optivisor fitted with DA-5 lenses.

For when I really need to get a very close view I use the loupe fitted.

I bought my Optivosor some time ago on a trip to the US.  The stuff was a a lot cheaper there plus the exchange rate was very good at the time.  So when I bought it I also got the 'old-style' light system (which is really good) and the loupe too.

But I've not really used the loupe - when I tried it I find it a little inconvenient.

Get what you mean about changing lenses - it really is not viable especially with the light system fitted - too much faff - so I would be looking at a second OptiVisor.

• 6 months later...

I agree my most important ‘tool’ never without it. I did recently treat myself to the full kit which comes with 5 lenses, loop and light in a fantastic case - like a pelican but better. Only place I could find it in UK was Farnell electronics and it ships from US so while about £200 it’s still pretty good value (and didn’t have any charges) and I had it in about a week. Have the 2.5 in my old visor and a 3.5 in the new one, unfortunately agree swapping over is a faff but much less of a problem for me now.

btw my old visor used the cheaper plastic lenses but the new set is the glass and they are ever so slightly better I think.

1 hour ago, Jamiec360 said:

btw my old visor used the cheaper plastic lenses but the new set is the glass and they are ever so slightly better I think.

Definitely. Glass all the way, and it’s also more chemical resistant. I’ve splashed myself in the face with all sorts of paints and thinners (accidentally) whilst wearing it, and it just rubs off, and nothing seems to scratch the glass either. 

Incidentally, I bought my mum a Chinese knock-off that was virtually identical to my genuine one, and it was pretty good for £15. She didn’t get on with it (my mum is a bit prone to things like that), so Caz uses it for close work on some of her hobbies now. I don’t think the lens picture is quite as good as original lenses, but not bad. In fact, some of the fitments were actually a little better than mine, especially the pivot, which had all milled aluminium components rather than plastic. If you got one and didn’t like the lenses, I’m almost certain you could then drop an original lens into it.