Contrail Hawker Horsley torpedo bomber

JOCKNEY

This kit has been nagging me to be built for ages.

It's a Torpedo Bomber that was in RAF service in Fife, Scotland in the early 1930's

20221222_084554

I have been neglecting my Vacforms in the stash for a while, so hopefully this will allow me to rediscover my vacform mojo.

Best of luck everyone 

Cheers Pat

• Like 19

Great choice Pat, a little on the risky side with all that plastic to cut, file and fill…. then there’s the dreaded rigging! 
Wishing you all the best with it, as it will look stunning once built. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/12/2022 at 20:55, Rabbit Leader said:

Great choice Pat, a little on the risky side with all that plastic to cut, file and fill…. then there’s the dreaded rigging! 
Wishing you all the best with it, as it will look stunning once built. 
Cheers.. Dave 

On 23/12/2022 at 12:39, Grandboof said:

Ah the dark art of vac form . Will definately be watching and learning. Best of luck .

Martin H

Well, I got a bit carried away today and didn't take any pictures before I started :doh:

However,  normal method was marking around the parts to be kept, scoring on the line with a new blade and bending the plastic to separate the 2 bits, ie the bit you want from the backing sheet.

The end result is this

And yes before you ask, the other wheel half was camera shy but is there !

The instructions such as they are, 

And finally the injection molded parts, for those of a nervous disposition,  look away now !

I'm not sure if you are supposed to use these, or melt them down and recast them into the parts you need ?  :shrug:

If anyone has built this kit before, now would be a good time to give me some advice ! :pray:

Cheers Pat

• Like 9

I'll be following this one.  Placement of the undercarriage parts and the interplane struts will be 'interesting' unless there are marks on the wing surface.

I wasn't aware of the Horsley until I saw a photo of one in the games room of what was then the Electricity Council staff college at East Horsley in Surrey.  That was in 1988.  I gather that the house was previously in the Sopwith family, and before that it was owned by the Byrons.

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Like 2

Just now, 2996 Victor said:

Great start, Pat, I've never managed a vacform so you have my everlasting admiration! Really looking forward to seeing this come together :)

Cheers,

Mark 

'Tis witchcraft...

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

And finally the injection molded parts, for those of a nervous disposition,  look away now !

I'm not sure if you are supposed to use these, or melt them down and recast them into the parts you need ?

There are actually some parts in there?  Good luck!

AW

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

And finally the injection molded parts

Sheesh!

14 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

I'm not sure if you are supposed to use these, or melt them down and recast them into the parts you need ?

Quicker than  cleaning them up, I daresay :( 

Good luck, Pat!

• Thanks 1

Nice choice. I seem to remember from a previous BM build thread that the cockpit opening should be offset to one side, which I hadn't noticed previously when looking at Horsley photos. My Contrail Scapa keeps trying to get my attention, but I'm pretending not to notice!

Jon

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Jonners said:

Nice choice. I seem to remember from a previous BM build thread that the cockpit opening should be offset to one side, which I hadn't noticed previously when looking at Horsley photos. My Contrail Scapa keeps trying to get my attention, but I'm pretending not to notice!

Jon

Thanks for that Jon, I'll have to do some research on the Horsley. 

Please stop ignoring your Contrail Scapa, I've never seen one built so where better to do it than on this GB :fingerscrossed:

Cheers Pat

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Now the the Seebee is in the Gallery, there are no excuses to not start on this one :waiting:

No pressure Pat 🧨 Looking forward to your progress 

• Haha 1

Hi Pat,

I still have stocks of spare Contrail/Aeroclub strutting, Lewis and Vickers guns and some Aeroclub white metal WWI style wheels so if you need anything give me a shout. I doubt my propellers are big enough for this but I could have a look.

Pete

• Thanks 1

Thanks Pete

I'll definitely be taking you up on the Lewis / Vickers as no gun is provided so just need to know which one to use now.

The instructions don't really tell you which of the strutt material provided is for what purpose on the kit ?

Therefore if I make a horlicks of it I may need a bit of that off you too !

I'm really looking forward to this one.

Cheers Pat 

Hi Pat

AFAIK 1 forward firing Vickers and one Lewis on a Scarfe mount, just like a Bristol fighter. I seem to remember sending you a few guns, wheels and strutting etc with the vac form WWI planes we swopped a while ago - if you have not used them have a look and see what suits this kit maybe. Can't remember if I included a Scarfe ring, but I think I still have one or two left. Let me know what if anything you want.

Pete

• Like 1