1/350 Revell USS New Jersey, 1984 - *FINISHED!*

Alan P

5 hours ago, Alan P said:

I'm getting my bonus paid this month so decided to pre-splurge on the Trumpeter Kitty Hawk CV-63. It was in a clearance sale from an online retailer at about £100 less than usual, so I had a rush of blood to the head. Still, that's £400 I've spent on kits and accessories this year already...😬 So far I'm still alive, but I've put away all the kitchen knives just in case....!!!

Gidday Alan, put the knives back where they belong, it's probably a quicker way to go anyway. 😁 Money can't be eaten, only spent. The trick is to spend it wisely and that differs for us all. I once had a big lottery win. I spent half of it on alcohol, served by nubile young ladies with scant clothing, loose morals and wanton behavior. But I'm afraid the rest of the money I just wasted. 😁

Seriously, she's coming along superbly. Regards, Jeff.

Lottery win? Don't I wish  .   .   .

• Haha 6

Cheers Bobby, looks quite daunting as it's the largest sea base I've attempted up to now, still considering if putting it up on sticks might not be better 🤔 but ships are built for sailing, so 🙃

• Haha 1

Thanks very much Tom @tomprobert and @Col. 

So, working on the sea base - I'm using 5cm thick polystyrene as a base.

tn_New Jersey (116)

This is a new thing for me. I intend to put the whole thing in an acrylic case so the thick base isn't really an issue.

tn_New Jersey (117)

Couldn't resist taping up the USS Montana hull to see the size difference, and it's quite impressive!

tn_New Jersey (118)

The New Jersey will fit completely inside the Montana-class hull, which just shows how huge those planned battleships were going to be!

tn_New Jersey (110)

I considered digging out a hole in the polystyrene to see if I could keep the hull intact but it seemed like too much trouble. So...I crossed a line of no return...the hull is now waterlined. No going back! After another test fit, I think the base might be a bit too big, so got the cutter out again....

tn_New Jersey (112)

The base looks a bit better proportioned now. The cutoff hull makes a good template for marking the base...

tn_New Jersey (113)

That works out pretty well.

tn_New Jersey (111)

Getting the proportions of the sea base is a bit of an art and a science. You want the ship to be the centrepiece, but don't want to lose it in a big base. In this case, less is more.

tn_New Jersey (114)

This technique is laborious but I want to see if it works out. I'm using Liquitex Modelling Paste for the base texture. It's made from marble powder in a polymer suspension. It should dry rock hard overnight.

tn_New Jersey (115)

The texture isn't important for this application, as there's going to be another layer on top when this has dried.

Fingers crossed again to see if this works out...

Cheers, Alan

• Like 8

Back to the sea base... (my phone autocorrect keeps wanting this to say 'sea bass'! :hmmm:)

tn_New Jersey (119)

Second layer, added a few waveforms for the bow and stern waves

tn_New Jersey (120)

Added the other wave textures using scrunched up aluminium foil. First time using this technique, and I'd have to say it wasn't great but wasn't bad either. More practice required, I think!

tn_New Jersey (121)

Should be able to produce something nice as long as I paint it properly! Also, probably need to dig a little furrow for the ship as she's riding a little high in the water.

Just been looking for a suitable case and found a shop in Germany that does custom cut acrylic cases for about €75 - does anyone know a UK alternative for about the same price? This will be 850x180x250mm 

Cheers again :cheers:

Alan

• Like 6

On a side note - I'm holding off painting anything else on the ship until I get some more paint - I just realised after a particularly unsuccessful effort that the Modern US Navy Haze Gray paint I'm using isn't my usual favourite Sovereign Colourcoats but an old leftover tin of White Ensign which must be at least 12 years old and possibly older. So I've ordered a full set of modern USN paint from @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies and hope normal service will be resumed soon!

Did I say Colourcoats is the best model paint in the world? I usually do about a dozen times on every build :lol:

15 minutes ago, flashlight said:

The base is looking good already! How will you paint it, once it's done?

Something like this, using acrylic paints and Gloss Heavy gel:

warships-uss-new-jersey-bb-62-battleship

• Like 3

This has slowed down a bit (a lot!) as I'm having to wait a day for each stage of the sea base :yawn:

tn_New Jersey (122)

Got some paint on, again this going to take ages...the white unfortunately dried PURPLE when I went back to it this evening... :doh:

tn_New Jersey (123)

Looks ok for a start. Plenty more work to do on this...I want to get back to building and painting, I miss my PE fix! :lol:

Alan

• Like 12

48 minutes ago, Andwil said:
3 hours ago, Alan P said:

the white unfortunately dried PURPLE

The Wine Dark Sea.

Or he's wearing his rose-tinted glasses. 🙂   But seriously, it looks white in those photos  -  or are they photos before the purplization (a new word) took effect?

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

are they photos before the purplization (a new word) took effect?

Yep, I took those right after painting, I'll show you the purple version later 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Alan P said:

Yep, I took those right after painting, I'll show you the purple version later 😂

Now there's a chat-up line!

The sea bass is coming on grand Alan and the purplization may work in your favour to blend the blue into the white froth after a couple more coats.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Must admit I'd almost given up on this after the struggles with the sea base, but I've tried a couple of new techniques with it and think it might just work.

Trying to finish off the remaining bits and pieces to paint and add:

tn_New Jersey (124)

There are four different types of boat to mount on the ship, but I'm adding these personnel boats by Veteran Models to go with the whaler and admiral's barge.

tn_New Jersey (125)

Meanwhile the collection of extra parts is growing, with the addition of the boat davits, refuelling post, boats and OE-62 satcom aerials. I might need a holiday from photoetch after this!

I have a whole day free tomorrow to work on this, so I'll get some good daylight photos of the sea base and the superstructure so far.

:cheers: Alan

• Like 10

47 minutes ago, Wings unlevel said:

Or you could give the rest of us a masterclass! Incredible work so far.

Thanks 😃 yeah, I love it really 😂

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Alan P said:

Thanks 😃 yeah, I love it really 😂

Gidday Alan, with a touch of masochism thrown in? 😁 But I have to agree with others - the PE is very good and raises the model to another level. Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1