Techmod 1:48 Freidrichshaffen ff-33e -now converted to a F & Jumping ship!!!

Marklo

F9729642-56-F6-46-E7-91-A5-79-F9-AF0-CD9
this will be my second build. I’ll be sticking to oob, but it’s a very nice kit and even has a PE fret for the fine details.

I’ll post some sprue shots over the weekend.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, TonyOD said:

The rigging though... :shocked:

A walk in the park compared to this pair…

97-ABBCC5-9-E57-4-D94-92-AB-476953-B4-FC
1/48 scratch Supermarine PB31

F53-F0-CFB-95-FA-4-DA6-9-E80-A783-DA3894

1/48 Scratchbuilt Oertz W6

Or my KUTA Taube…

A9414-E42-1-BD9-478-D-A009-3-E14587-ED3-

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 9

• 3 weeks later...
  • Marklo changed the title to Techmod 1:48 Freidrichshaffen ff-33e -Jumping ship!!!

As I’ve barely started this one and I don’t want to rush the build, I haven’t a hope of finishing it by the weekend, so I’ve asked the mods to move it over to the reconnaissance GB where it has a much better chance of getting done in a timely manner :) 

• Like 1

Am I right in thinking the one on the box is 841 Wölfchen , as used with considerable success by the Hilfskreuzer (armed raider) SMS Wolf in the Indian and Pacific Oceans! I have the Windsock book on this type if I can be of any help.

Pete

Edited by PeterB

There is an excellent book I read from the library: The Wolf by Richard Guilliatt and Peter Hohnen.  As well as the stories about Wolfchen, iirc it relates that the latest victim was years later due to mines laid!

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, malpaso said:

There is an excellent book I read from the library: The Wolf by Richard Guilliatt and Peter Hohnen.  As well as the stories about Wolfchen, iirc it relates that the latest victim was years later due to mines laid!

A number of books and films were indeed made about the voyage of the Wolf. Launched in 1913 as a rather slow freighter called the Wachtfels, it was taken over by the German Navy and turned into an auxiliary cruiser with 8 x15cm guns, 4 torpedo tubes and over 450 mines, together with a substantial coal bunkerage. Leaving Kiel on November 30th 1916 it sailed around the top of Scotland and then down the Atlantic before rounding the Cape of Good Hope and heading through the Indian Ocean into the Pacific around Australia. On February 24st 1918 it returned to Kiel carrying 467 POW having directly captured and sunk at least 14 ships totalling 38391GRT and its mines accounted for another 14 of 75888GRT and damaging several others according to Wiki, On board it carried Friedrichshafen FF 33E floatplane number 841 - technically of the HFT subtype as it carried a two way FT radio, and this was given the name "Wölfchen" or Wolf Cub. It made a claimed 51 recce flights spotting potential targets and keeping an eye out for any hostile warships, spending over 61 hours in the air. It suffered damage several times exhausting the supply of spares and the crew had to improvise using whatever materials came to hand. The worst case was in July 1917 when the starboard float was damaged during take off and failed during landing. The float was cut up by the prop, the lower wing collapsed, the prop was shattered and several struts were either broken or bent, whilst the engine was submerged in sea water. In spite of that the crew had it flying again in just over two weeks, using captured tea chests, tobacco boxes, other timber including part of the ship's rails, and silk from prizes - a tribute to the resourcefulness of sailors and the still relatively simple construction techniques employed on planes at the time.

The Captain of Wolf was full of praise for the plane and its crew - his only complaint was the amount of time it took to ready the plane for flight and then to strike it down after its return - due to the need for it to be hidden as part of the ship's disguise, it had to stored in a dismantled condition with the wings in the hold and the fuselage in a packing case on deck. Assembly took 3 to 4 hours as did disassembly, which was far too long for comfort and so within a month of  Wolf's return an order was placed for the FF 64 with folding wings - 3 were built and started to be delivered in March 1918.

Pete

• Like 1

Would it be sacrilege to say I’m now considering converting it to a 33L so I can do a more interesting paint scheme?

IMG-2253.jpg

Here’s a hint.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's your kit - do what you want!😆 The scheme was a bit bland - overall pale blue or grey I guess. I know there were numerous variations on the FF 33 including the FF 33l ( or should that be L but they seem to have used lower case letter in some sources) though I am unsure what was changed? Some seem to have been single seat and smaller, and the engines also changed a few times.

Pete

Edited by PeterB

if I do the l then I can do a naval lozenge scheme and seeing how the Sablatnig is overall battleship grey the two side by side will look more interesting if I go for the l.

6C879BC7-45A4-4896-B6B3-EFDF8FD9A4BE.jpg

As far as I can tell it still has an observer but the wingspan is shorter and the engine different, it may also have had forward facing machine guns fitted and the engine is different. There were single seat fighter variants too.

I’ve printed off the plans to do a proper comparison.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 3

The Windsock book is specifically on the 33e and is rather vague about most of the variations as it says the documentation is sparse, but I have seen somewhere that the "l" had a fixed forward firing LMG 08 - or IMG 08 as sources vary.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

IMG-2608.jpginterior painted 

IMG-2612.jpg

Ready for some surgery. The F is only a two bay machine.

IMG-2609.jpgMy lozenge masks printed on masking film. Now I have to cut out all the lozenges…

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

• Marklo changed the title to Techmod 1:48 Freidrichshaffen ff-33e -now converted to a F & Jumping ship!!!

IMG-2626.jpgAnd a bit of assembly. All in all the paintwork turned out well.

Carpet monster got the right hand stabiliser so I have a replacement in primer at the moment. 

Almost ready for decals, assembly and rigging, but not necessarily in that order.

Edited by Marklo