Airfix P-51D in 1/48.

Anders E

Between 1945 and 1948, Sweden bought 161 used P-51Ds from the Allies. They were designated J 26 (hunting) and S 26 (reconnaissance). The first were flown by American pilots from Liverpool to Bromma Airport in Stockholm on 10 April 1945 and delivered to the F 16 in Uppsala.
The aircraft supplied had all been used in the war and were in varying condition. The model I built represents an aircraft being inspected and cleaned. The right side of the aircraft has been cleaned and is being marked with Swedish markings, the left side has been started.

Airfix released a new model of the P51 Mustang in 1/48 scale in 2017. It comes in several versions, I chose model A05136.

spacer.png

I made some cables for the radio transmitter and the battery.

spacer.png

The Airfix original cockpit is very detailed but I chose to further detail it with the photoetch from Eduard.

spacer.png

The chair has arm rests and a rough checkered pattern on the back rest it was puttyed and the arm rests removed. The floor was made of wood. I painted the floor in a wood color and applied a layer of Chipping fluid. When it dried I painted a coat of matt black and removed some of the black with a damp brush to show some of the wood color.

spacer.png

Anders E

Edited by Anders E
  • Like 17

Thanks for the nice comments!

I used Mr Paint color for the cockpit and Vallejo for some small details that I painted with a brush.

Next I painted the lights under the wing with a translucent color.

spacer.png

And masked them with Tamiya tape.

spacer.png

I filled all the rivets and some of the panel lines with Deluxe plastic putty on the wing. I mixed it with water and apply it

with a brush. When it dries, I remove the excess with a slightly damp cloth. I think it works fine with small gaps.

spacer.png

I really like this model, the parts just snaps together and the solution for the windshield is very smart.

spacer.png

Anders E

• Like 10

Great stuff, I have an Airfix pony in the stash - as with all things Airfix their P-51 was slammed on the web (basically for not being Eduard) but in fact following the recent Barracudacast thread on Mustang builds there seems to not only be a lot of love for it but also many who prefer it to the photo-etch peddlars' version - also no-one will convince me that the Dooleybird issue (and box art) wasnt absolute genius!

Following.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Anders E said:

I really like this model, the parts just snaps together and the solution for the windshield is very smart.

That windshield idea looks very 'Tamiya'.  So much better than having a joint on the canopy frame. :like: 

I painted the model with Mr. Surfacer 1200 spray.

spacer.png

Next I painted the fuselage with Alclad White aluminium, the wings are painted with Alclad High speed silver.

spacer.png

I masked some of the panels and painted them in different shades of aluminium.

spacer.png

I painted the red band with Mr Paint only on the left side of the fuselage.

spacer.png

Anders E

Edited by Anders E
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I painted the black stripes with MrPaint Nato Black on the wing and tailplane.

spacer.png

I used MontexMask for the national markings. You have to be careful not to stretch the masks before painting. I didn't use Montex Mask for the canopy I think they are too thick.

spacer.png

The pink tape is made to be used for sensitive surfaces such as wallpaper and is bought at a construction market. 

spacer.png

I also used Montex Mask on the right side of the aircraft and painted very thinly with light gray so that some of the old markings are still visible.

spacer.png

I will not do complete Swedish markings, it should look as if they have started to be painted.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Anders E

• Like 5

Now the model is finished. Some of the old markings are washed away. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

I made a base from Noy's miniatures and some mechanics that are working with the plane. The figures are from Tamiya and ICM.

bQ1jyQn.jpg

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

This was a very enjoyable build I really like Airfix kit of the P-51 Mustang. 

Anders E

• Like 9

Hi there Anders.

Lovely build, what a great idea.

Just a question, you painted the fuselage Alclad White, and then you masked the fuselage to paint panels in another colour, Did you coat the fuselage with clear or anything before putting the masking tape on, or did you rely on the paint being properly dry and using sensitive decorative masking tape?

Once again, really good build.

Excellent work, Anders. You've really set a scene. I have a question, if I may. Where did you get the jack stand? I have an idea for a small vignette like yours, and I need to find some aircraft jack stands. Thanks in advance, and thanks for sharing your work.

Cheers,

-O

22 hours ago, PLC1966 said:

Lovely build, what a great idea.

Just a question, you painted the fuselage Alclad White, and then you masked the fuselage to paint panels in another colour, Did you coat the fuselage with clear or anything before putting the masking tape on, or did you rely on the paint being properly dry and using sensitive decorative masking tape?

Thanks for the kind words!

I didnt't coat the fuselage with clear coat, I let the Alclad paint dry for at least 12 hours and I used both Tamiya tape and masking tape for sensitive surfaces. The only times I've had problems with the Alclad paint coming off is when I didn't wait long enough for it to dry and I always wash the models with dish soap before I start painting.

17 hours ago, oortiz10 said:

Excellent work, Anders. You've really set a scene. I have a question, if I may. Where did you get the jack stand? I have an idea for a small vignette like yours, and I need to find some aircraft jack stands. Thanks in advance, and thanks for sharing your work.

Thanks!

The jack stand are from Das Werk, German Luftwaffe Jack Stand Set, Item DW 4801.

Anders E

• Like 1