How to unblock Revell Contacta needle?

keiron99

My Revell Contacta Professional - the one with the needle applicator - has been on the shelf for a few months while I've taken a break from modelling.

Now, I've discovered the needle is blocked. I've removed it and tried soaking in all sorts of liquids like IPA, window cleaner and boiling water but I can't unclog it. I don't have anything thin enough to go up it to try and force it out. Anyone got any ideas? (Obvs answer is buy a new one but this stuff is surprisingly expensive, and I want to use it today!)

Edited by keiron99
typo

What Stu said above. Hold it with a pair of tweezers and then burn off the glue with a cigarette lighter (it’s fun!)

Do it outside though just in case a smoke alarm goes off. Don’t ask how I know that one. 

HTH

James

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

A short piece of household electrical wire with the insulation removed from one end.  Bend one of the constituent wires and poke it down the nozzle.  If this doesn't work remove the top and poke it up the nozzle.  Works for me.  No smell ( just as well, no cigarette lighter).

• Like 1

I don't smoke so this is my excuse for owning a cool Zippo lighter - pull the tube, hold in flame for a few seconds, reinsert tube - all clear.

The trouble with pushing pins or wire down the tube is that it has a very thin internal diameter - pins/needles are generally too thick and any wire that is thin enough is not usually strong enough to push the obstruction out

• 2 weeks later...

If you know anybody with an electric guitar, ask them if they could donate an old 'top E' string (the thinnest one on a guitar) when they replace their strings, or give you the offcut from the replacement string. The top E string on an electric guitar is a very fine but quite rigid wire that is perfect for unblocking Revell Contacta applicator tubes! I coil the E string (or offcut) to provide a handy grip, with about an inch sticking out at the end for pushing down the Contacta tube.

Jon

I can only repeat what others have said; I keep a length of wire down the tube and occasionally blast it with my pipe lighter, which is like a mini-blow lamp.

Just be careful doing this as any glue it the tube will flare out in a flame and burning particles my shoot out as well. Not nice if it lands on your hand

Yep, like others had said above, hold the blocked needle above a lighter flame, this will remove the blockage. Then, to stop it from happening again, insert a length of steel guitar wire inside. I like to place a yellow tab made out of tamiya tape on the end of the wire. This makes the wire more noticeable on my cluttered desk, and also makes a handy handle for the wire. Hth.