Supermarine Seafire FR.47

John Laidlaw

On 12/31/2022 at 1:53 PM, John Laidlaw said:

The last pieces I needed for this build arrived today. The Barracudacast contra prop blades, and the Mk.V cockpit snapshot upgrade - there are many parts that are appropriate for the FR.47 cockpit, and I have a particular liking for the seat included in the set. It has moulded-in belts, and when carefully painted looks the absolute bees knees.

I actually recently scored one of these kits myself, and we have pretty much all the same upgrade bits. I didn't realize you could use the MkV cockpit set with it! I also hope to build mine (ha-ha, like I'll ever have time) with wings unfolded, so I'll steal follow for your best ideas. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Procopius said:

I actually recently scored one of these kits myself, and we have pretty much all the same upgrade bits. I didn't realize you could use the MkV cockpit set with it! I also hope to build mine (ha-ha, like I'll ever have time) with wings unfolded, so I'll steal follow for your best ideas. 

Ah, great, you won it! Yup, the Mk.V cockpit has a lot of parts that are usable... I got it before I realised that the FR.47's cockpit is basically a black hole, but there are enough bits to drybrush and add tiny little stencil decals to, plus the lovely seat. It should make it a little busier, and make my first venture into vacform canopies worthwhile.

1 minute ago, TonyOD said:

Join the queue 😁

So, no pressure, huh? 😄

Just now, John Laidlaw said:

So, no pressure, huh? 😄

Queen Mary and I are doing daily yoga to try to get fitter after Christmas. The yoga instructor lady on YouTube Says the “the hardest part is turning up”. You’ve turned up.

(She’s talking absolute rammel, of course. I feel like I’ve been beaten up.)

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, John Laidlaw said:

So, no pressure, huh? 😄

No, none at all. And to add to the complete lack of pressure, I also have a partially-built one laying about somewhere (in storage, methinks, but I may drag it out). We all hope you do a wonderful job on our your Seafire!

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Procopius said:

14 minutes ago, John Laidlaw said:

Ah, great, you won it! Yup, the Mk.V cockpit has a lot of parts that are usable... I got it before I realised that the FR.47's cockpit is basically a black hole, but there are enough bits to drybrush and add tiny little stencil decals to, plus the lovely seat. It should make it a little busier, and make my first venture into vacform canopies worthwhile.

So, no pressure, huh? 😄

Either of you know how to clone parts using resin and molds ? Im looking for copies of the add on cowling rocker covers. I need them for Griffon powered Reno racers. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Either of you know how to clone parts using resin and molds ? Im looking for copies of the add on cowling rocker covers. I need them for Griffon powered Reno racers. 

I do have some (old) resin casting materials, together with no practical knowledge of how to use them. However, I do know the theory, and would jump at the chance of trying it out on a practical project. Assuming there are no New Year "projects" I am volunteered for, I'll give it a go as soon as I can. How many copies do you think you'd need?

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, John Laidlaw said:

I do have some (old) resin casting materials, together with no practical knowledge of how to use them. However, I do know the theory, and would jump at the chance of trying it out on a practical project. Assuming there are no New Year "projects" I am volunteered for, I'll give it a go as soon as I can. How many copies do you think you'd need?

An even number say about 6-8 ? If it works you could scan them for future 3D printing as well ? 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

An even number say about 6-8 ? If it works you could scan them for future 3D printing as well ? 

Sure!

I don't have a scanner, but they should be easy enough to design in Fusion 360. There's also a great resource at Wings of Pegasus that I can refer to:

https://soyuyo.main.jp/spit47/spit47-1.html

• Like 1

A little progress now Percy has decided he doesn't need to sit on my lap every evening.

First, the inner wing sections are glued together, and were no effort:

Nose

Second, and a little disappointing - when I bought the kit from a Scalemates member, he offered the Quickboost replacement cowl for a very reasonable sum. As it takes care of the rocker-cover inaccuracies of the Airfix moulding, I jumped at the chance. As it should be a panel-line to panel-line drop in replacement (it states it's for the Airfix kit) I hacked away at the port-side fuselage nose, cutting close to then refining to the panel lines. Turns out I should have offered it up to the fuselage first, as it's either shrunk over the years, or was never designed that way in the first place.

Nose

Hey ho 🤣. Although it will take some time and effort, application of basic modelling skills will fill the gap and smooth it until there's no unsightly gap there. I'll do the same for the other side, and although it's annoying, it's not the end of the world.

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

6 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

How annoying. Was it designed for a different Airfix kit?

Isn't it? Nope - this is specifically for this kit:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/quickboost-qb-48-243-seafire-fr46-47-cowling-and-exhaust--212017

Looks like I'll be getting some practice building up the shape, probably with plasticard and superglue.

• Sad 2

Some progress has occurred, despite the best efforts of my raggedy cat, Percy, and his wish to be with me at all times. I am honoured, if a little frustrated at the lack of time in the evenings. Bless him.

I roughed up the rear face of the cowl plug in preparation for sticking on sufficient styrene sheet to fill the majority of the gap. As I was doing this, I noticed how soft and greasy feeling (like talcum in its wild state) the resin was. Turns out I could scratch it with a thumbnail. It's as if the resin had never cured fully, which might explain the shrinkage.

Anyway, that's all conjecture. If it's true, I need to build and finish this before it continues to shrink significantly and opens up gaps again. No pressure there, either 😁.

After a bit of work with a rough sanding board, it's very close to fitting into the left fuselage opening. When I can do no more before making it worse again, it'll be glued in with CA/talc, sanded, then scribed/riveted where necessary. The other side will be done when I have the cockpit ready (this is a rough fit, and will be fettled further):

Fix

Next up, the cockpit. I'll choose which parts will be worthwhile to fit, prime it, then paint the seat. I need to determine if I feel it needs further fuselage structure toward the bottom of the cockpit. I suppose there needs to be somewhere to catch the pilot's Callard & Bowser's toffees.

Right, back to it!

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Col. said:

Seems this resin 'improvement' is becoming more trouble than it's worth John :( 

My thoughts exactly!

3 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

Sometimes aftermarket isn't your friend. Bad luck with this set John

On the plus side. it's all good experience. Should have gone with the BarracudaCast replacement rocker covers 🙂