Sablatnig SF4 1/48 Scratchbuild - a triplane floatplane what’s not to love…Finished

Marklo

31-BB94-C9-2317-48-A9-8-DD7-047575-F5196

C73-E801-A-04-E8-4-E5-E-946-A-A373-DA783
Ever since I finished my Oertz I’ve been itching to build one of these a triplane floatplane what’s not to love. Now there are one or two issues. I can’t find a scale plan view of the triplane however it was based on the biplane for which I do have full plans and I know the wing surface area and chord width so between that data and the pictures of the plane I can make a good guess at the span or the three wings.

Next step scale the plans and figure out the wing details. Well first up clear out some of my wip and wait till January the 7th :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 18

• Marklo changed the title to Sablatnig SF4 1/48 Scratchbuild

FE47-C4-E7-3870-462-A-8-A86-177-B520-C42
Sf4 biplane  hacked together with the triplane side view and scaled to 1/48. I’m assuming the triplane wing is of the same shape assuming the biplane just with a narrower chord. Now I just need to figure out the wingspan based on the chord width and surface area and three equal wing spans.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 4

8-AD740-C4-43-CA-4-A82-BE79-2-CE87-AF457A little algebra gives me this equation ( yes I know I’m not allowing for the tapered wingtips and radii, but it’ll give the approximate midpoint if the wingtip) and I just need to find the area figure in my WWI seaplanes book pop it in and I’m approximately there.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 4

A many-challenge project Marklo! It will be great to follow. Modelling not often (but sometimes) starts with calculating - e.g. 'will I get it done within the GB timeframe'...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

Yes, it's a sleek looking aircraft to be sure. Have we seen you do a triplane before, mark?

2034126-F-DB56-4-A00-9-D91-6-DE51-F919-B

Well I did do a Sopwith Snark and Pfalz DR1

E62-BE1-F7-8-B0-F-4-EE6-9-A2-A-95-CD9-B7

And I have build a few quads too. The Wight

9-A659-B61-6263-4443-956-E-6-BD872-D55-C
The Supermarine PB31 aka the nighthawk. 

3-CFF2-B9-A-19-B5-491-D-91-BF-CE4364-EDA

And the Oertz W6. Although the Oertz is probably more a double biplane than a quad.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • Marklo changed the title to Sablatnig SF4 1/48 Scratchbuild - a triplane floatplane what’s not to love…

F223-D38-B-97-FE-45-C4-80-C8-DA1-AD505-B
starting on the buck got the floats.

I must go down to the sea again, 
    to the lonely sea and the sky;
I left my shoes and socks there - 
    I wonder if they're dry?

Spike Milligan keeps going through my head :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 4 weeks later...

E75-BB303-FEA6-45-E8-9-ECC-D1-F217-D5-FCNow that the Armoured car and Ju88 GBs are done the salty sea dog is my main priority so the Sablatnig is back in the bench. I wasn’t happy with my first em set of molds so I went and plunge molded a set of fuselage parts. The Sablatnig is slab sided so I’m attaching flat sections to the sides to get the right effect.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

0-BC096-AC-A902-4-AAC-AAB9-ADD94-FF49-AB
That’s the cores for the wings sanded to aero foil shape and the skins lined cut  and folded. I need to bend the cores then I can assemble the wings. That means that excepting the tail and turtle deck all the major components are done. I should actually be able to get quite a lot or the assembly done next week. 

• Like 4