Gloster Javelin queries

fatalbert

Hiya,i have some questions regarding the Gloster Javelin for an ongoing project that i was hoping you wonderful modellers would be able to help me with.So here goes

1,Could the T3 version carry the under fuselage external fuel tank,i can't recall ever seeing a picture of any fitted to that version

2,Could anyone point me in the direction of a decent picture of the angled wing pylon that was used when carrying the wing tanks,or maybe a good picture of one from the Airfix 1/48 kit.

And finally(for now)

3,can anyone point me in the direction of some pictures of the canopy in the open position.i have a feeling that the front and rear canopies move as one,is this correct?

Many thanks for looking.

Neil

Edited by fatalbert
  • Like 1

Hello Neil,

the canopies move together in fighter variants. Check this video clip around 1:40 to see the canopies closing https://www.aikensairplanes.com/javelin-faw-mk-9-raf-no-11-sqn-xh898-raf-binbrook-england/

The canopies could be operated separately but then without electrical motor. For maintenance the clutch was released to allow unrestricted entry into cockpits.

The Airfix 1/48 scale kit doesn't have tank pylons although there are parts for four drop tanks. The angled (inboard) pylon isn't as tall as missile pylons. Some further info in my old WIP in here:

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

19 hours ago, fatalbert said:

Hiya,i have some questions regarding the Gloster Javelin for an ongoing project that i was hoping you wonderful modellers would be able to help me with.So here goes

1,Could the T3 version carry the under fuselage external fuel tank,i can't recall ever seeing a picture of any fitted to that version

2,Could anyone point me in the direction of a decent picture of the angled wing pylon that was used when carrying the wing tanks,or maybe a good picture of one from the Airfix 1/48 kit.

And finally(for now)

3,can anyone point me in the direction of some pictures of the canopy in the open position.i have a feeling that the front and rear canopies move as one,is this correct?

Many thanks for looking.

Neil

As you are asking questions about the T3 I found your drop tank question puzzling. The only version of Javelin that could carry the wing tanks was the FAW9R (The ones that could carry the refuelling probe), not even a bog standard FAW 9 could carry them.

Selwyn

Hiya Selwyn, not just the T3,i have a few Javelin kits in the stash and i have questions relating to various marks,apologies for the confusion 

Neil

23 hours ago, fatalbert said:

Hiya Selwyn, not just the T3,i have a few Javelin kits in the stash and i have questions relating to various marks,apologies for the confusion 

Neil

I'll let you off,  just this once!😉

Selwyn

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,another question,this time regarding the wing Vortex generators.Am building the Airfix 1/72 FAW 9,but back dating it to a MK7,Did the 7 have the same amount of Vortex generators on the wings as the 9.Many thanks 

Neil

Hello Neil,

there were only two rows of vortex generators on FAW.7. Remove the second row. Those in the first row close to the wing leading edge weren't as tall as those in the rear row. Check also the outer wing leading edge; no drooped leading edge on FAW.7.

Cheers,

Antti

• Thanks 1

Thanks Antti,Thats going to make life a little easier when it comes to decaling .Concerning the drooped leading edge,i dont think the 1/72 kit has this,but i will have to double cheack that

Thanks again

Neil

Edited by fatalbert

15 hours ago, fatalbert said:

Thanks Antti,Thats going to make life a little easier when it comes to decaling .Concerning the drooped leading edge,i dont think the 1/72 kit has this,but i will have to double cheack that

Thanks again

Neil

Neil - it was not so much a "drooped" leading edge than a "casual sag" along the leading edge outboard of the outer pylons and only on the 8/9R.  See below on XH891 -

spacer.png

HTH

Dennis

• Thanks 3

On 1/1/2023 at 3:13 PM, canberra kid said:

Some drawings from the various Pilots Notes 

CqKKLs.jpg

John

One curious question - why did they write "(T) Mk 3"? I can understand "F (AW)", even though I find the brackets somewhat awkward, and could understand "F (T) Mk 3", but a "(T) Mk 3" isn't any real variant - or what? 

On 1/2/2023 at 4:46 PM, tempestfan said:

One curious question - why did they write "(T) Mk 3"? I can understand "F (AW)", even though I find the brackets somewhat awkward, and could understand "F (T) Mk 3", but a "(T) Mk 3" isn't any real variant - or what? 

Possibly a typo or a 'Gloster-ism' that went all the way through to Air Publications, I've not seen that applied to other P.N.s of contemporary fighter/trainer types, ie Vampire T.11, Meteor T.7, Hunter T.7 etc.

• Like 1

I have improvement and enhancement parts for the 1/72 Airfix Javelin.  I am working on producing alternate ‘rear ends’  for the ‘pen nib’ versions and also the plain rear for the FAW 7.  I am hoping to make corrected nose cones for the US radar equipped versions.  See here:

• Like 2