"Reg wouldn't recognise it" - Seafire FR Mk 46, RNAS Lossiemouth, 1948

TonyOD

This is going to be my second Seafire build. The other one being a very early example (a IIc), I’m going for super late in the form of an F Mk 46. I suppose this was the ultimate development of the type and couldn’t be much further from prototype K5054 of 1936. Twice as heavy, twice as powerful, heck of a lot more firepower. With the bubbletop canopy, longer nose, contrarotating prop, huge Spiteful tail and redesigned wing shape, it’s hard to imagine that R.J Mitchell (dead seven years by the time this variant made its first flight) would even recognise it. Indeed, for me the loss of the classic elliptical wing shape for the late marque Spitfires and Seafires kind of means they weren’t Spitfire and Seafires any more (indeed, the changed wing very nearly had the Spitfire Mk 21 renamed the Victor). Anyway, Seafire this one was, so here it is.

The subject of my build will be Seafire FR Mk 46 serial number LA546, which served on the Station Flight at RNAS (now RAF) Lossiemouth, AKA HMS Fulmar, in 1948. This airframe was the personal mount of station chief Captain (later Admiral of the Fleet Sir) Caspar John, who was a pioneer of the Fleet Air Arm and the first naval aviator to command the Royal Navy. John was C/O at Lossie from 30th January to 24th August 1948. There is one known photograph of the airframe that shows it with extra dark sea grey over sky (low demarcation line) livery, with spinner, rudder and codes either known or presumed to be yellow. The absence of an arrester hook is notable, so while its maritime credentials are solid LA546 didn’t spend any time on carriers, at least at this stage in its career.

spacer.png

I have actually built this subject before: about 12 years ago I built in 1/72 scale from the Jays/Venture kit (not so much built as hewn). The prop was a metal aftermarket jobbie, the decals were from Model Alliance, the canopy was vacform and numerous parts were cannibalised from other kits. I remember it being challenging but was pretty pleased with the outcome. I’m looking forward to revisiting it in 1/48 with a few more years’ modelling experience in my back pocket.

spacer.png

The kit I will be using is Airfix’s 2012 boxing of their mid-90’s kit, not that easy to get hold of but I got lucky and picked one up on Faceache Marketplace at a really good price. I’ll be building it OOB apart from addressing a small issue with the overwing roundels.

spacer.png

I don’t know yet if I’ll be building the two Seafires consecutively or simultaneously, this one may not make an appearance for a while.

Thanks for looking in!

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 13

1 hour ago, TonyOD said:

I have actually built this subject before: about 12 years ago I built in 1/72 scale from the Jays/Venture kit (not so much built as hewn). The prop was a metal aftermarket jobbie, the decals were from Model Alliance, the canopy was vacform and numerous parts were cannibalised from other kits. I remember it being challenging but was pretty pleased with the outcome. I’m looking forward to revisiting it in 1/48 with a few more years’ modelling experience in my back pocket.

The hard way round! That Jay's build is really lovely, definitely one to be proud of given how much work it must've been. 

A classic kit, I always love seeing these made, and have a couple of them on the shelf (old and new print) for when I'm feeling self indulgent. Despite never having successfully built one, whenever I see this kit, I have a sudden urge to snap it up. I can never get enough 47s (and 46s I guess!) and I love the low demarcation with the bright panels, it's a great scheme.   

Andy

• Like 1

A bot of sprueshottery, itching to get going now! Looks nicely moulded enough, some very sturdy sprues so removal of parts will require care. This was a previously owned kit that I got off Faceache Marketplace, a few bits are off the sprues but all is present and correct plastic-wise. The cockpit looks a bit spartan and I gather the prop isn't up to much, so despite my good OOB intentions (I'm skint after Christmas) I may get involved in some aftermarket.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Decals are in good shape, the previous owner has used the i/p for another project it seems but I may see if there's an etch set. One thing about the upper wing roundels: Airfix go with type B (wartime) roundels. I have pics of postwar Mk 46's with EDSG/sky (low demarcation line) livery carrying both type B and type C overwing roundels. There is no photographic evidence either way for this particular airframe, but I feel that by 1948 it would have had type C roundels on the wings, so I will be swiping some from another kit.

spacer.png

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

Time to make the time?

Not just yet. I’m making the time for the three others I have on the go! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

What would @Marklo do? Carve one from coffee stirrers I suspect.

There's always the kit prop. I'm sure it is not entirely offensive to mine eyes.

1 hour ago, heloman1 said:

Ooooh! A late marque ,large engines Seafire, what's not to like? I'm watching...

Might be a little while this one, got three other examples of Reg's finest that I'd like to try to get out of the way!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2023 at 1:46 PM, TonyOD said:

Went looking for a Barracudecals resin prop… but alas, none to be had!

Good news! Hannants have the resin prop back in stock. I've ordered that and some prepainted etch to tart it up a bit, but if I start this before getting at least one of my current three builds out of the way, shoot me.

• Haha 3

On 1/14/2023 at 10:42 AM, TonyOD said:

Might be a little while this one, got three other examples of Reg's finest that I'd like to try to get out of the way!

I can't help but wonder how many you have already built and how many more are on your mental to-do list?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

I can't help but wonder how many you have already built and how many more are on your mental to-do list?

Well…

spacer.png

• Like 5

That's the full extent of the stash, @Bertie McBoatface apart from a 1/72 Lanc out of shot (that might eventually find itself upgraded to a 1/48). Today was the day the stash broke cover. I've given the spare room a good clear out and tidy this evening, and the accumulation of Spit kits that has been, er, smuggled into the flat and, um, hidden in boxes emerged blinking into the light as I arrayed them on their new shelves. 

I took a deep breath as Queen Mary got home, entered the spare room, surveyed the tower of boxes, shrugged and came out again without saying a word.

:goodjob:

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/23/2023 at 11:59 PM, TonyOD said:

I took a deep breath as Queen Mary got home, entered the spare room, surveyed the tower of boxes, shrugged and came out again without saying a word.

We all know that's going to be returning to haunt you at some point in the future Tony :o 

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Col. said:

We all know that's going to be returning to haunt you at some point in the future Tony :o 

Oh, I don’t doubt that she’s put it in the bank for a rainy day.

Edited by TonyOD
  • Haha 2

• Bertie McBoatface changed the title to "Reg wouldn't recognise it" - Airfix, Seafire FR Mk 46, 1/48, RNAS Lossiemouth, 1948
  • TonyOD changed the title to "Reg wouldn't recognise it" - Seafire FR Mk 46, RNAS Lossiemouth, 1948