Which tanks are this two?

dov

As stated, the second photo is undoubtedly the Matilda I.

The first one was tricky to find,  It certainly had turret characteristics of the Czech designed LT vz.35 (or 35(t) in German service), but the running gear has different details.   So it appears to be the predecessor  LT vz.34.   Wiki states the Germans acquired 22 of these when they occupied Czechoslovakia.  No records show them being actually used in combat, but the photo in the opening posts appears to say otherwise.

https://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/czech/Skoda_CKD_LT-Vz-34.php

1341521718_lt-vz.-34-d.jpg

Edited by JackG
  • Like 1

The were connections between Schneider (the SOMUA parent company) and the Skoda works in Czechoslovakia: I believe some design ideas were being shared. The suspension system patented by Aleksei Surin is thought to be the basis for that employed by the Somua S-35. Could it be that one or more were purchased by the French to test against the S-35, which was coming off the production line at the same time? The Czechs were exporting tanks right up until the German invasion of March 1939 though I have never seen sales to France mentioned

That Czech tank being on display makes more sense.   It explains why the lack of German crosses, and still retains the original serial, as well as the type of camouflage scheme, not something used by the Wehrmacht  in 1940. 

Edited by JackG

The 2 LT34 photos are certainly the same tank in the same place.  But is it Vienna or France?  I suspect this is a public display of foreign military equipment captured by German forces.  Something like that seems more probable in Greater Germany than the occupied territories and I can't see French people wanting to pose for photos with symbols of their oppressor - so my bet would be Vienna.

The opening poster is Austrian, and assuming his father in law is the same, and living in Austria at the time, that could very well be where both photos were taken.   Even the brick of the building behind the Matilda appears the same.

The location of the pictures taken is unknown. France battlefield photos were in this pile. No writing at the back. I asume they are taken after the fall of France. Untill 1943 autumn time.

Happy modelling