Airfix HMS Hotspur with brass knobs on- awaiting the tide off KUTA

Mjwomack

12 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

I think the Airfix tubes, bless them and they are of an age, look pretty crude.

Gidday, some of them certainly do although Hotspurs aren't the worst and can be tizzied up a bit (I didn't though). I did Hotspur a little bit later in her life, with 'Y' gun and the TSDS gear (that ugly stuff at the extreme stern) removed. The side camo scheme was a bit simpler too, two colours. But I needed some 20mm Oerlikons which I scratch built crudely. If I may  .   .   .

HMS Hotspur jm10

I did this many years ago, before I joined Britmodeller and even before I consulted the internet. I really only had a single photo to guide me so my accuracy is dubious - The TSDS gear is still there on the stern as I didn't know what it was. The two hull colours are what I had in stock (although I think the pattern is close) and I don't think decks were green back then. The Oerlikons were scratched crudely from sprue and paper. I also scratch built the extra DC throwers at the stern in place of 'Y' gun. DC rails should be in place of the TSDS cranes. The 4-inch gun (some say 3-inch) is scratch built and placed over the hole for the aft set of tubes. Obviously I didn't do a bandstand, which I think it needs. The main mast should have been cut down a little. Later still 'A' gun was replaced by a Hedgehog AS launcher but I think the gun was re-instated. This is definitely NOT a definitive work but it might help you just a little.

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

. I really only had a single photo to guide me so my accuracy is dubious

One more than I've found!! I've tracked down a batch (flotilla?) at Liverpool which all seem to be of the same date and show her in what I'll call the Airfix configuration Much as I like the extra gun I can only find the print referenced above and a second take of the same print and no primary source for it.

Also been pondering; although it's very cute the gun does look tinny (for obvious reasons) and would need the barrel replacing with some 1.5mm rod for a start. It's bringing home that much as I like the delicacy of the P/E there's only so far you can take a classic kit. Replacing the davits will need the holes filling for example and then redrilled for the finer replacements.

Which is a long way of saying that I'm 'scaling' (see what I did there?) back my ambitions. Going to use a good amount of the P/E - love the funnel caps for example, but not this gun. Key objective is railings to keep the ratings safe and changing the gun shields as that will bring out just how fragile it all was on one of these in heavy weather, never mind a war.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

One more than I've found!!

Gidday, I simply Googled "HMS Hotspur WW2" and then clicked on 'Images'. The photo I have in a book is there but I can't seem to create a link to it.

4 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

although it's very cute the gun does look tinny (for obvious reasons) and would need the barrel replacing with some 1.5mm rod for a start.

To make that AA gun I used stretched sprue if I recall. This was before I discovered styrene rod, strips etc. 1.5mm rod would be way too thick for the barrel. That equates to three feet. It would be OK for the gun pedestal. And like you I'm finding that locating holes in Airfix kits are often way too big, I've got to plug them and then re-drill them. Good luck with the railings and gun shields.

HTH. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some little bits and bobs for a Sunday night...

PXL-20230129-200207190.jpg 

Hull now watertight and ready for some paint.

Main deck has had the moulded anchor chains taken off - they'll be replaced with the P/E ones.

Funnel tops in place, rather like them!

Gun mount on the left has the P/E and the other is the kit OOB, not sure that it was worth the effort. But I'll press on.

Somewhere along the way, the boats got lost, but I have a plan (be afraid, very afraid!) Using the P/E tops as an outline, I'll carve new ones out of a chunky bit of strip.

Confident we'll make some decent progress in the very near future.

• Like 10

This is good progress @Mjwomack on the elderly kit. I have an etch set for it (White Ensign) and keep hoping Airfix will re-release it in their vintage series so I have something to put it on! I would rather that than the Mistercraft 'apparent copies' which I have tried recently.

I am looking forward to seeing more.

Ray

• Haha 1

On 1/30/2023 at 8:05 AM, Bertie McBoatface said:

The lights make your funnels look bent. At least I hope it's the lights 😳

nope they're bent. But don't let it worry you- just dry fitted for photographic effect- fettling to follow. Handy tip, if you can't say that you've drunk to much to try any fettling, and you may wonder how I know that- a friend told me!

1 hour ago, Mjwomack said:

Handy tip, if you can't say that you've drunk to much to try any fettling, and you may wonder how I know that- a friend told me!

That sentence makes no sense at all and yet conveys your meaning (and blood alcohol level) perfectly. Very creative writing worthy of Melville. 

• Haha 2

On 1/30/2023 at 9:04 AM, Ray S said:

This is good progress @Mjwomack on the elderly kit. I have an etch set for it (White Ensign) and keep hoping Airfix will re-release it in their vintage series so I have something to put it on! I would rather that than the Mistercraft 'apparent copies' which I have tried recently.

I am looking forward to seeing more.

Ray

It's a cute and nostalgic little build. Maybe because of its age the castings are in pretty good shape- I'd guess a repop would be far more tired. Enjoying the old style Airfix instructions where everything could be built in 4 steps - one of which is painting. But that, along with lack of part numbers and some pieces being mere blobs does make me wonder I ever built anything vaguely correctly as a lad (there again some things never change).

Work (sorry about the 4 letter word) today but hopefully some progress soon. I rather think it'll be the railings that make the biggest difference from the P/E set. Plus I don't know enough about the original to make correct use of the various, and lovely, mast options.

• Like 2

• Mjwomack changed the title to Airfix HMS Hotspur with brass knobs on- awaiting the tide off KUTA

The Lord Sea Admirals have reviewed the strategic disposition of the fleet and concluded- bitten off more than they can chew!

First was the Wind Turbine distraction in this GB, now TLC has worked its beguiling charms on an old sea dog and I've entered a GB I was even interested in at the bunfight! Like nobody ever des that!!

Which means it's all about low in the water/ dry dock space is at a premium etc etc. 

So...

...Because I want to savour this build and not rush it along. It's going to be the first of my KUTA entries for this year.

Thanks for the company sea dogs; I'll be pressing on with Hanover Express the box boat and the wind turbine so might see you over there. Overwsie see you beyond the horizon me hearties

• Sad 2

Although I'm sad to learn you won't be continuing this one here I can also fully understand your desire to not continue with too many concurrent projects. Ultimately you've made the right decision; better to finish somethings to the best of your abilities than nothing at all or spoil all the great work you've done already.

• Thanks 1