Nineteenth Century New Bedford Whaleboat - Amati - 1/16 - Build Stalled Indefinitely

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good model kit, must be in want of a group build to begin. 😌

I'm proud to say that I'm ready to go but I won't prejudice my chances by starting early. 😉

(Starting page three before the kick off, yay!) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

There were some issues with the translated instructions.

Am I complaining? It sounds like it but actually I'm rather pleased that I double checked the translation using Google and avoided a potentially fatal error. It's all part of the fun. I've come to realise that wood kits take no prisoners when it comes to instructions. The builders are expected to be active problem solvers and work stuff out for themselves. This is a bit scary at times but scary is just another word for exciting, and when (if) I get this thing done, the level of satisfaction will be mast high!  

I'll be re-translating all of the text of the instructions, but not today. I'll do them when I get to them.

• Like 7

I don’t think it’s a translation error - it’s relatively common to use nails to hold the planks in place while glueing. PVA is the most common glue and takes a while to set. You just need to remember to not drive the nails all the way down - leave enough to be able to get ahold and drag them out with pliers.

Edited by Torbjorn
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Torbjorn said:

I don’t think it’s a translation error - it’s relatively common to use nails to hold the planks in place while glueing. PVA is the most common glue and takes a while to set. You just need to remember to not drive the nails all the way down - leave enough to be able to get ahold and drag them out with pliers.

🙂 I'm smiling at the irony. I tried to describe an error in the kit instructions but while doing so, I've introduced a different error into your understanding of the situation. It demonstrates just how difficult it is to write technical documents unambiguously. 😀

This isn't one of those conventional boats built by gluing and nailing planks to frames.

The inner planks will be glued to the stem and sternpost over a jig which gives it all the correct shape. Then the frames of the boat will be glued to the planks. Then the outer planks will be glued to the frames. The jig will then be removed and discarded.

But that's for tomorrow. The difficulty I described yesterday concerns the temporary attachment of the stem and sternpost to the jig. Glue is definitely a bad idea!

• Like 2

Ah, that you mean. When I read it I did not interpret it as glueing the stem to the jig, but to assist during glueing the parts belonging to the boat together later on. I’ve become rather liberal when reading such translations though, and do agree it’s misleading - but I claim the worst offender to be «apply».

By the way, if you haven’t already, I suggest you to get a host of these instead/complementing of those nail-like tacks:

247px-RedPushPin_(cropped).jpg

• Thanks 1

On 1/7/2023 at 10:06 AM, Torbjorn said:

Ah, that you mean. When I read it I did not interpret it as glueing the stem to the jig, but to assist during glueing the parts belonging to the boat together later on. I’ve become rather liberal when reading such translations though, and do agree it’s misleading - but I claim the worst offender to be «apply».

By the way, if you haven’t already, I suggest you to get a host of these instead/complementing of those nail-like tacks:

247px-RedPushPin_(cropped).jpg

Push pins. Yes they are very useful and I have a big pot of them. I'm glad you reminded me of them because I'll use them at the next stage, the planking.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Faraway said:

Learning another language, as well as building a boat.

Bet you’ll have a whale of a time with this one.

Ok, ok, I’ll get me coat.

Jon

Tarnation! How on Earth and the Ocean did I miss THAT joke? 

Good to be building with you again Jon. 😀

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

Good to see the Bertie Boatworks in full production! :clap2:

I managed two updates but I think I could have done more building on a rainy day like today. So not quite FULL production.

Not yet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

That's not just Italian, it's wooden boat instructions Italian. It's a language all of its own.

I’m finding that “ship talk” in English is a language all of its own! 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

I’m finding that “ship talk” in English is a language all of its own! 

Here's an extract from whale hunt, that book I've been quoting. After reading it several times, I've decided it means we put the handbrake on, put it in neutral and had tea. In nauticalise it sounds like this:

The ship lay with her fore topsail yard on the cap, her reef tackles hauled two blocks, foresail hauled up snuggly, and the yards laid square and aback; and as the main and mizzen topsails were braced full on the starboard tack, spanker set, and the wheel lashed hard aport, the ship would keep head to the wind and make her wake dead off the weather beam.

• Like 1

A great little project. Makes me ( almost) want to take the plunge myself. Maybe for not my comfort zone..

Although one of my New Year’s resolutions was to stop buying things off the internet… I’m dry a week so far but I’ve found a Korg SQ-64 ( my other hobby music) at a knock down price as nd I’m wavering….

Actually I just finished reading The Terror by Dan Simmons, well written but an odd book part horror, part historical drama, but it definitely got me into the mood for this GB. 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

Just now, Marklo said:

A great little project. Makes me ( almost) want to take the plunge myself. Maybe for not my comfort zone..

Actually I just finished reading The Terror by Dan Simmons, well written but an odd book part horror, part historical drama, but it definitely got me into the mood for this GB. 

Wooden models - the Terror. Seems to go together somehow. I sweat more building these than anything in plastic!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Marklo said:

It was made into a very good series on the TV. Well worth finding it if you missed it first time round.

On 12/23/2022 at 8:13 PM, flashlight said:

Interesting story indeed! And would you believe - the song Nantucket Sleighride by Mountain is dedicated to Owen Coffin!

And there's a character called Coffin in the second chapter of Moby Dick, which I've just started reading. Melville points out that it was a common Nantucket name but given the story it's clearly a reference to Owen.

I just took the clamps off. I couldn't wait overnight. I'm glad I did because one of the planks wasn't glued down at the bow at all. I think I'd squidged the glue out of the joint while trying to clamp it tight. Anyway, it's reset now so I'll ne able to carry on with more planking in the morning. I've decided to use superglue, which I detest, because the gluing surfaces are so small and clamping is difficult to say the least because of the shape of the bow and stern. It is so streamlined that it just shoots clamps across the room. 😆

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

It was made into a very good series on the TV. Well worth finding it if you missed it first time round.

Not a big TV viewer, I tend to watch documentaries or cookery programs when I do. I have for example read all seven Game of thrones books (when oh when is winds of winter going to be published !!!!) but didn’t make it through the first season on the box. 

• Like 1

• Bertie McBoatface changed the title to Amati 1/16 New Bedford Whaleboat - Now with extra wailing, also weeping and gnashing of teeth.

I changed the title because I couldn't face singing the old Vera Lynn classic every day for the next four months. I do hope you are all still aboard. 

I'm going to try one proper photo update per day, and just drop in with words whenever I get the chance.

Superglued planking seems to be working, so far...

• Like 3