Nineteenth Century New Bedford Whaleboat - Amati - 1/16 - Build Stalled Indefinitely

25 minutes ago, Alan P said:

I really like that. The varnish certainly adds the depth.

It does. Somehow it lets you see a little way into the structure of the wood, like looking into the sea through a glass bottomed boat, or into the washing up water through a tumbler. 😁

I've decided to try gently sanding the high parts back to wood before the next coat to exaggerate the sawn wood effect. I'll experiment on a spare piece first though.

23 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

I've decided to try gently sanding the high parts back to wood before the next coat to exaggerate the sawn wood effect. I'll experiment on a spare piece first though.

I tried that and it made no discernable difference. Never mind, even a negative result is a useful result.

I also tried some experimental staining of the overlapping exterior planks but the plywood is so 'functional' that it still looked awful. Those planks will have to be painted. Which is fine as a large painted area will really showcase the varnished wood interior.

At the risk of appearing  vulnerable, may I ask for your comments on this build? I really appreciate likes and other reactions and written comments and questions would, I am sure, inspire me even more. I am well out of my comfort zone with this build and need all the help I can get. 😀

• Like 2

On 1/19/2023 at 1:28 PM, Bertie McBoatface said:

Back to work on the big fellow. I didn't think I was in the mood but there's that hobby streak sacred oath thing so I had to do something. In five minutes I was hooked and did a full evening shift.

y4mdA6lsXOzn5BnfTMjGUdfbcdFEApL_WfyOV3Zr

Under varnish they look more realistic than I expected. I'm delighted with the sawn surface effect which is quite pronounced. A good day's work. 

That looks outstanding! 

To my eye the gaps are good. As this is meant to shed water, I can't imagine wider gaps unless this was some manner of grating, which I would expect to look different.

• Thanks 1

On 19/01/2023 at 21:28, Bertie McBoatface said:

Under varnish they look more realistic than I expected. I'm delighted with the sawn surface effect which is quite pronounced. A good day's work. 

A good days work indeed. Those planks look beautiful, far better then the printed effort.

Jon

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, dnl42 said:

That looks outstanding! 

To my eye the gaps are good. As this is meant to shed water, I can't imagine wider gaps unless this was some manner of grating, which I would expect to look different.

Yes, a grating would be the expected pattern in that period for something which was primarily intended to shed water. Now I think further about these platforms, I realise that their main function was to provide a flat, comfortable place to stand for the boat steerer (harpooner) in the bow and for the mate (the officer in charge of the boat) in the stern. Both of these men were standing up at crucial moments in the hunt; the boat steerer to dart his harpoons and the mate to work the steering oar while observing the whales ahead of the boat. 

Both platforms elevate their occupants and any large amounts of water that might be shipped would simply run off the sides of the platforms into the boat. 

59 minutes ago, Faraway said:

A good days work indeed. Those planks look beautiful, far better then the printed effort.

Jon

Thanks Jon.  When it comes to timber, 'aftermarket' is remarkably cheap and easy. My single visit to the Exotic Wood Company for a rummage in their offcuts bin will provide me with upgrades for years to come. Of course this doesn't stop me wanting to return for more so that I can build up a ludicrously oversized stash. 😄

~~~~~~~~~~~~

There will be no work done this weekend. Yesterday we celebrated Chinese New Year 🍷 and today is dedicated to recovering. 🤢

• Like 3

On 1/19/2023 at 9:28 PM, Bertie McBoatface said:

Back to work on the big fellow. I didn't think I was in the mood but there's that hobby streak sacred oath thing so I had to do something. In five minutes I was hooked and did a full evening shift.

Ah, we've all been there. Sometimes the hardest bit is simply levering oneself off the sofa. Next thing you know, you're in your own little world for several hours and you end up feeling gutted when you see the time and realise its time to stop for the night.

Great work on those planks by the way. That finish looks lovely. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, danbuoy said:

Ah, we've all been there. Sometimes the hardest bit is simply levering oneself off the sofa. Next thing you know, you're in your own little world for several hours and you end up feeling gutted when you see the time and realise its time to stop for the night.

Great work on those planks by the way. That finish looks lovely. 

I get a little tap on the leg from my dog when I've been modelling for too long. She never forgets the time. 

Yesterday I broke my run of modelling every day. I managed 22 consecutive days which is not bad for a first attempt. I'll restart counting tomorrow or maybe later today if I'm clear of the wrath of grapes before bedtime. 

Yes, thank you. The finish has turned out very well. It was just simple yacht varnish from Wilco's thinned well with white spirit. I think there's just enough glossiness at 50/50 dilution for the scale. 

• Like 2

Just having a bit of a catch-up on what's going on around the GB. The whaleboat is coming along splendidly, that varnish colour is lovely.

Mrs. Troll needs her own WIP thread, though.

Just kidding 😉

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TonyOD said:

Mrs. Troll needs her own WIP thread, though.

She's indirectly a part of the boat build. Anything that keep me at the table decreases the chance of becoming becalmed. January is often a difficult time when it comes to maintaining ebullience.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

January is often a difficult time when it comes to maintaining ebullience.

I can relate. There is indeed a paucity of ebullience.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

y4mM1Bjg_VXByel6QGTEp9MlW1kHOy-v6E4-jj-r

But despite that, I've made and attached what Amati calls spacers, 16 of them. They aren't spacers. They are only 1mm thick and the ribs, which I'll be making next are 2mm thick and will provide the spacing between the inner and outer planks. I conclude that the 16 are hull reinforcements in case of dodgy planking like mine. They have done that job well; it feels stiffer and more robust already. 

Spacers? Hm, that's odd. I wonder what they're s'posed to do? Why wouldn't Amati just have your shape and install the ribs? I wonder if Ronnberg's book provides any insight?

Excellent advice on the bending (or soldering) iron! I did just what you warned about in my youth. Very unpleasant.😱

• Like 1

After a dog walk and a cuppa, I have a plan. I'll drive pins into the keel at the first and last frames to act as my datums. I'll transfer the locations of the pins to the plan by laying the model onto the plan and gently pressing down. Then I'll set my calipers to the distance from the mark on the plan to the frame location, lock them and transfer the distance to the keel of the boat, hooking one end around the pin. I don't even have to know the distances in mm that way, which eliminates many possible errors.

I have to use two datum points, which I know is bad practice, because of the limited opening of my calipers.

I can't accurately measure the locations at the gunwale end because of the hull curvature, which in any case won't match the plan exactly since it was build by ME! But the frames may be considered perpendicular to the keel and guide lines drawn on the model with a pencil and set square. They are actually perpendicular to the gunwales but since this isn't a real boat and you'll only see a fraction of the frames, my way is good enough, I hope.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

Spacers? Hm, that's odd. I wonder what they're s'posed to do? Why wouldn't Amati just have your shape and install the ribs? I wonder if Ronnberg's book provides any insight?

I don't think they were essential in this instance because I had glued the planks to each other edge to edge as I went along which wasn't called for in the instructions. The nice wide 'spacers' may be intended to securely join the planks together before the fiddly business of fitting the frames? You could push the planks together and whack a 'spacer' on quick! 

5 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

Excellent advice on the bending (or soldering) iron! I did just what you warned about in my youth. Very unpleasant.😱

I used to have that iron on my desk, thinking that it was no more harmful than a soldering iron. I've had a few soldering iron burns in my past life as an electrician and that wouldn't bother me. However, the plank bender has that big aluminium blob on the end and while it's no hotter than a soldering iron, it holds maybe a hundred times as much heat energy. I came to realise that it would make a mess of me and changed my ways. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1