Welcome and rules

TonyOD

Welcome to the Salty Sea Dog Group Build! Your hosts are myself and @Col.

As suggested by the title, this GB celebrates all things maritime. Broadly speaking, it’s about subjects that were designed or adapted for the maritime environment, or used in a specifically maritime role. Eligible subjects include:

Seagoing vessels of all kinds:

• Warships/naval ships from antiquity to modern times - classical triremes, viking ships, galleons right through to 20th century and modern military vessels (don't forget submarines).
  • Passenger ships - from small pleasure boats to mighty cruise liners with everything in between (hovercraft anyone?)
  • Cargo ships, fishing boats, lifeboats, coastguard vessels and other utility craft.

Aircraft designed or adapted for maritime roles:

• Military aircraft of all kinds operating from carriers.
  • Flying boats, seaplanes and floatplanes, helicopters equipped to land on water, military or civilian. Ekranoplans! Anti-shipping aircraft - torpedo bombers, Coastal Command heavies, that kind of stuff (normally non-maritime subjects from notable sea-themed events such as the Lancasters flown on the Tirpitz raids most welcome)
  • Coastguard/air-sea rescue aircraft.

Subjects connected with military units with a naval heritage such as the Royal Marines or the United States Marine Corps.

Random stuff to do with the sea – I believe a lighthouse may appear on the build list!

No Whifs please!

The eligibility criteria are fairly clear but if in doubt consult the hosts. As a rule of thumb, if you can smell the sea air, you’re good to go.

Other stuff:

The 25% rule applies for this GB – builds that are less than a quarter done will be eligible, given that this is quite subjective please consult myself or @Col. if in doubt and we’ll make a call.

Please don’t used this GB as a platform for buying or selling, there is a whole section of the forum for that.

Please create and maintain a Work in Progress thread with pictures for each individual build; subject, kit manufacturer and scale in the thread title and/or tags of new WIPS would be very helpful for the purposes of ease of maintaining the ever-growing Behemothic Build List. When complete post a maximum of five pictures in the GB Gallery. I will be maintaining a list of all builds and it would also be helpful if you mark your finished builds “finished” or “complete” in the title header.

I’m sure I don’t really need to say this but the usual Britmodeller etiquette applies: be nice. If you have advice or an opinion to share on someone else’s build please do so politely and accept that people may have different points of view.

But above all: have fun, and enjoy your builds!

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 16

• TonyOD changed the title to Welcome and rules
  • Bertie McBoatface changed the title to Welcome and rules - 3/2/23 please see new posts - 7/2/23 Thread Name Standards