Knocking up a Supermodel for Christmas - no such luck!

AdrianMF

Gun fairings will be sanded aluminium tubes with Albion Alloy brass rod barrels:

F0590-C6-C-9-B85-4-D78-B970-50-F6-A5-E39

1h 50m giving a total of 16h 10m. Dinner time - noodles cooked student style by my daughter and boyfriend.

Back to my guns…

A859087-E-B223-4-DE2-83-A8-48-F0-B367-A2

Two and a half hours left. Getting “interesting”…

• Like 8

Sadly, didn’t cross the line in time. The FROG decals were a bit smaller than the white patches I’d already applied, so they needed a whole lot of touching up. At ten to midnight it was clear that I was doomed, so I didn’t rush anything. I’ve pottered on to a “finished” state, although the propeller is held on with blutak, and I will do/redo some more to it tomorrow to finish it properly:

2-EB9116-F-A8-BA-439-D-BF3-F-420-B5-A8-F

5-FC16141-441-F-4-A2-F-8699-2-D345086282

I should have started earlier - I still had over five effort hours in hand.

Ironic that after all the mods, it was the OOB decals that did for me! Although if I’m honest, all the way through the build I was trying to remember what happened to the round insignia from the kit. I now remember I nicked them for an RCR Breda65 with terrible transfers, and exactly the same thing happened! 

Anyhow… thank you all for a super fun Christmas Blitzbuild! I will now have a look at what I’ve missed, and check the gallery to see who managed their time properly!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 16

• AdrianMF changed the title to Knocking up a Supermodel for Christmas - no such luck!
53 minutes ago, PattheCat said:

It's nicely done and has the plus of your improvements, that's what really counts.

Thanks Pat. I’ve got a fairly good record of finishing Blitzbuilds but this is my second or third one to run out of time. If there are problems, I take the view that I’d rather miss the deadline and produce something I’m happy with. 

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 6

That's a pretty amzing amount of work in such a small timescale! I well and truly take my hat off to you for that!

I'm off to see if I can find a kit to do in those markings...

James

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, stevehnz said:

water trap

Yep, watching the decals break up is quite fascinating, the bits just drift apart…

7 hours ago, JeroenS said:

Very good effort Adrian, it's as good as finished. Nice work. 

4 hours ago, Bengalensis said:

very good effort.

Thanks guys. Loved your builds, great body colour choices on the vehicles!

3 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

I share your view about finishing well being preferable to finishing on time. 

Thanks Bertie - glad your Christmas turned out to be more fun than modelling! I will look forward to seeing your scene develop in the diorama forum.

43 minutes ago, 81-er said:

I'm off to see if I can find a kit to do in those markings...

I can recommend the Sword kit - two kits* and seven schemes in the box to choose from. I got mine from Jadlam on eBay (delivery is free and unbelievably fast). I also have the Frog kit (which with postage cost more than one Sword kit), but now I’ve pinched the decals from it I wonder if I can be bothered with the rest of it as it’s very crude - maybe I’ll do the Blitzbuild I should have done.

I think my next build will be another batch of mince pies!

Regards,

Adrian

* both the same scale too, unlike your tie fighters, so you won’t have to put one closer and one further away :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

I think my next build will be another batch of mince pies!

Excellent choice!  That was my Christmas build….

Tough luck with the decals, but it will still be a fine model when you finish it off

Dave

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

I can recommend the Sword kit - two kits* and seven schemes in the box to choose from. I got mine from Jadlam on eBay (delivery is free and unbelievably fast). I also have the Frog kit (which with postage cost more than one Sword kit), but now I’ve pinched the decals from it I wonder if I can be bothered with the rest of it as it’s very crude - maybe I’ll do the Blitzbuild I should have done.

Funnily enough, I've been eyeing up the Sword kit. Handily has a scheme similar to yours out of the box as well. I've also used Jadlam and found them to be excellent in the past

James

• Like 1

Now that I’m a gentleman of leisure, I’m going to have a go at this:

8-B03-AFB0-4-DC2-4959-B49-E-1-ECAC8599-A

To me, the kit spinner (brown) looks too much like a Bf109F’s, whereas I think it should look more like the FROG one (blue) to match photos. So I’m going to make a copy of it to see how I get on.

[edit] The FROG kit, despite being very crude, does appear to be rather better shaped and significantly slimmer than the Supermodel one :

FD15384-A-9084-4-C11-AA82-72-F74948-E640

8-EB898-C8-792-E-4384-9-C53-FA9-C9-E0-B1

I might build it as an in-flight quickie (which would save me having to do anything with the cockpit or abysmal undercarriage). I could even give myself a time limit of 24 hours…🙄

• Like 5

The FROG decals, while very welcome, aren’t quite right for late war markings. The axes should be nearer the ends of the bundles, and the axe heads should be squarer. I fixed the latter problem with a bit of paint all round, top one done, bottom one as supplied:

42594-A55-8-B84-480-A-A45-C-CB2167-EC4-B

Close enough for a nearly-Blitzbuild! An hour or two later (probably still less than 24 hours effort), it’s all done:

1-E161-AAD-E064-4269-B049-4259-CAA50-DFF

8-E99-D257-EC42-430-D-AEEC-933-A805-BE98

9-C7-B584-A-A878-49-FD-BE39-3-B0633-A077

It looks much better to me with the copy of the FROG spinner on than the bulbous one from the kit. I have put some more pictures in RFI here too.

Thanks for looking and have a super 2023,

Adrian

• Like 16

Thanks chaps! I'm glad I didn't end up rushing it to get in. I think I've got the result I would get from a "normal" build whereas I would have had to bodge things to get it in by midnight, even without the pesky decal disaster.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1