AMT International Scout - FINISHED

JeroenS

I'll be joining in with this one: 

20221219145829-10c781c6-me.jpg

I've acquired a lot of American vehicles lately, but it's no fun when they're just lounging about in the cupboard. They're meant to be built. 

This fit the bill for a Blitz Build, as it has "over 53 parts", which I think is a weird way of stating it has 54 parts. Anyway, it's not a whole lot, except for the fact that "over 53" could also mean 178. Nah, it was newly tooled in 1976. Should be a fun build, with most likely some fitment issues but we'll manage. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

How about an 'in the woods stealing a Christmas tree' diorama?

Why stop at one? It's certainly big enough for several.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

Was that waggon also called a 'Blazer'?

No, that was a Chevrolet model name. Chevrolet Blazer was also sold as GMC Jimmy, I believe Monogram made a kit of one of those two. V-P

EDIT: No, they made both of them https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?fkSECTION[]=All&q=1%3A24+chevrolet+blazer*

EDIT 2: And various boxings in 1:25 scale too https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?fkSECTION[]=All&q=1%3A25+chevrolet+blazer**

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

No, that was a Chevrolet model name. Chevrolet Blazer was also sold as GMC Jimmy, I believe Monogram made a kit of one of those two. V-P

EDIT: No, they made both of them https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?fkSECTION[]=All&q=1%3A24+chevrolet+blazer*

EDIT 2: And various boxings in 1:25 scale too https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?fkSECTION[]=All&q=1%3A25+chevrolet+blazer**

Thanks. Not being a petrol head, they all look the same to me - even though I drove a Blazer quite a lot, a long time ago...

15 minutes ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

Thanks. Not being a petrol head, they all look the same to me - even though I drove a Blazer quite a lot, a long time ago...

Blazer, Scout, Dodge Ram Charger, Ford Bronco, all very similar vehicles indeed. 

Good morning all. We're off! Starting with the sprues. This is Blitzenbuild material alright, feels like I'm missing a couple of them, the parts count is really low. Nice!

The shell looks OK at first glance. 

20221224080729-efd3e7d9-me.jpg

These are the sprues. Yep, all of them. 

20221224080729-750daf8f-me.jpg

Still on the fence about the chrome parts... will I de-chrome or not. It's not that thick actually. I'm going to try to paint over it with the Greenstuffworld chrome first and see how that looks. 

And this is the rest of it. 

20221224080728-191603ad-me.jpg

The tyres are a bit strange, in that they are hollow at the back. They're not plastic but luckily they're not very squishy either. 

I have a colour in mind for this, I don't know how it will turn out but it's a Blitzenbuild so I'm going for it, straight onto the body, no try-outs! 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Bengalensis said:

A brave project to do a car in 24 hours! But I've seen you do it before. I chickened out on that, I was fingering on an Opel GT but thought I'd never manage the paint. Maybe next time.

You have to get into the Blitz(en)build mode, I'd certainly recommend trying the Opel next time! Just remember, "perfection" is a dirty word this weekend 🙂 .... Also, staying far away from gloss paints helps a lot in getting that build done in 24 hours!

• Like 1

End of session 1. Two and a half hours (ish) in, not all of which was actually spent modelling but let's not start nitpicking now. The body shell is prepped for primer. It wasn't bad at all, just some mould lines at the corners. The bonnet is glued in place because, 1) there is no opening mechanism and 2) there is really nothing worth showing under there!

20221224102854-9c92b1df-me.jpg

Some strip was glued on the inside, partly for support and partly because there was a fair bit of light shining through the gaps. 

20221224102854-2c7ea26b-me.jpg

The engine so far. Not very good, as expected. Alternator suspended in mid air as usual, belts as thick as a man's wrist and fan blades more than 1 mm thick. Great. 

20221224102854-bce368b0-me.jpg

Fitment... well, no. 

20221224102853-592c4e35-me.jpg

But who cares? Not me 🙂 

I'm waiting for the chrome parts to be de-chromed, they're getting there but it's a bit slow going. I'm going to freshen up a bit now, I'm still sporting the "just out of bed" look, which is a thing in the modelling industry I believe, but not so in my case. Then, I'm out to buy some wine. Luckily, I know which ones to get, last time I went there I was tasting wine at 10:00  in the AM and I can tell you that this is not a good idea for today. Let's just say I'm not driving to the shop just yet, I'm taking the bike. 

• Like 7

Time to start session 2. 

20221224115102-b0bccdcf-me.jpg

Still some chrome left, but hey, I haven't got all week! It will do. 

Bought the wine. This is a nice one. 

20221224115102-cae9dd95-me.jpg

And I'm putting on some music to get the energy levels up. 

• Like 7

That's it for session 2, another hour in. I'm really hungry now that the queasiness has worn off 🙂 

Engine is complete. 

20221224125344-787a7ea5-me.jpg

It's crap, but it's in. 

20221224125344-367c2a04-me.jpg

If you look closely, there's actually some moulded on interior detail... including pedals... 

20221224125344-5aa34aaf-me.jpg

Basic construction of the underside is done as well. 

20221224125344-436e30a2-me.jpg

No problem to fit exterior over interior, although I'm not exactly sure yet about where to put glue. 

20221224125344-677f8f3c-me.jpg

Time for lunch!

• Like 7

58 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Nice going!

Thanks Adrian!

58 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

the yellow looks pretty nice

At least it's not full on bright yellow plastic. But, I'll be aiming for a nice '70's sort of colour. I hope I can get close to what I have in mind.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bengalensis said:

The wine sounds interesting when researching it.

My research only went as far as drinking it last week 🤓

I learned enough to go and get another bottle. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2