M4A3E8 Sherman

Keeff

Hello all, 

One of my current projects is this 1/35th scale M4A3E8 Sherman 'Fury' by Italeri.  It's been a while since I've devoted time to the hobby and have spent hours on this so far ..... along with a 1/24th Hurricane that's on the operating table. 

This is somewhat of an experimental kit I'm using to practice my skills and see how I get along with adding some effects.

I decided to add some damage having watched a few 'how too' type things on Youtube which I think are a bit excessive to be honest. 

The kit was airbrushed with an dark olive drab base over an olive drab primer followed by hairspray.  I applied a coat of olive drab and then had a go at chipping (first time 😬).  Once this had dried I applied a thinned coat of light olive drab with a brush.  

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I've given the hull and turret a coat of gloss varnish so I can get on to the next stage of adding decals, using panel wash to pick out the weld seams and other surface details, add some chipping and paint the tools.

I'm intending to add some mud effects, but need to look at this as again, it's a first venture into this level of detail and techniques. 

Comments and critique are welcome!   

Keith 

• Like 8

Maybe a tad heavy on some of the damage but I do like that large scratch/scrape on the side, first photo. Paintwork is good too. Keep going, your experimenting is a good way to learn what works or not and hopefully we'll see more soon.👍

Thanks for the comment Stef.  I agree that the damage looks too much .... got a bit carried away!  I think in reality, the tank wouldn't have survived.   I've been doing some more work on it today .... pics to follow! 

Keith 

• Like 1

So, a bit of an update having found some time to do a bit more work. 

This is a bit of an experiment as I have a go with pigments and washes, which I've not used before.  Now it's done, I thing the weathering is possibly too much, especially the underneath, although it will get hidden somewhat when I add the running gear and tracks (that's a whole new challenge!) 

Comments welcome!

The addition of mud and general grime .....

spacer.png

Mud and streaking added using pigments

spacer.png

The really muddy part ..... I think this is a bit too much?

spacer.png

Keith 

Edited by Keeff
  • Like 10

12 minutes ago, Keeff said:

The really muddy part ..... I think this is a bit too much?

Depends on where the vehicle has travelled - and what time of year?

Looks good to me.

• Like 3

Ah, thank you Longbow ...... Photo's appreciated! 

To be fair, I haven't really researched using photos, so have gone with what I thought, which could be about right. 

Keith

Edited by Keeff
  • Like 3

Looking good so far. The impact damage looks a bit over the top but that was already mentioned. I think for future kits maybe ask yourself if damage is 'logical' 

The angle of the shell impacts looks off ( it's like the sherman was shot from below and on the other side by something from above ) and that adds to the feeling of 'too much' 

That beeing said, i think the lower hull looks really good. As mentioned by @Longbow these tanks could get really muddied up. With the pigments and the shell impacts this could make an awesome 'abandoned' Sherman. 

Keep trying, you'll find out what works and what not. That's the fun part of this hobby and by the looks of things you are on the right track!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Maddoxx77, your comments are appreciated and helpful. It is a bit of trial and error as I've been away from the hobby for a long time.  

Onwards and upwards ... I have done a bit more work, just need to sort out pics and update here .... 

Keith

• Like 1

Just now, Keeff said:

Thank you Maddoxx77, your comments are appreciated and helpful. It is a bit of trial and error as I've been away from the hobby for a long time.  

Onwards and upwards ... I have done a bit more work, just need to sort out pics and update here .... 

Keith

Trust me, been there and sometimes still am 😁

I'm back in the hobby for a year now and it's just now that i'm having the feeling that i sort of know what i'm doing. 

Every kit is a learning process and each and every time i'm learning new things. 

Just keep moving onwards and upwards. 👍👍👍

• Thanks 1

Hi Keith,

The photos are somewhat small, but the Sherman that you see can be seen interesting. The impacts are IMHO somewhat exaggerated and unrealistic, but as we are trying new things, it is very normal that we do not get the expected result. I made an impact on a skirt of a Stug IV, and I had to repeat it at least twice before it was to my liking.

hWbKwlp.jpg

They could be easily fixed if they are not to your liking.

On the other hand, the general appearance is very nice, dirty and dusty... just the way I like them.

Cheers and TC

Francis.👍

Thank you for your comment Francis. 

As I'm so far into the build, I think I'll leave the damage as is, but perhaps practice on some plastic card before attacking another kit. 

I do like the effects and finish on your Stug!  👍

Keith

Edited by Keeff
  • Thanks 1

So, over the festive period, I did manage to make a bit more progress ..... 

Wheels and bogies 'muddied' and attached being the main thing, but I've also managed to get the .50 and .30 cal guns painted.

To do:

• Paint and weather the remaining track running wheels
  • Paint the tools on the hull and road lights 
  • Paint and weather exhausts 
  • Attempt to paint the tracks - never done this before so we'll see how that goes! 

52617098400_e0b8340cc2_o.jpgSherman - wheels on 2 by Keith Trowell, on Flickr

52617098490_6742e35500_o.jpgSherman - wheels on by Keith Trowell, on Flickr

52617099245_3b7da55601_o.jpgSherman - Front view by Keith Trowell, on Flickr

Apologies for the size of the images ...... still working on this too!!  

Edit and update - I seem to have mastered the pictures! 

Keith 😁

Edited by Keeff
Image update
  • Like 6

Hi Keith,

Now the photos are bigger and you can see the work better. I'm sure the tracks will be fine. They can always be easily corrected... they are one of the parts that, as in this case, cannot be seen much, and it is also one of the dirtiest parts....🙃

Cheers and TC

Francis.👍

• Thanks 1

Impressive weathering Keith and battle scars. I don´t think the mud effects are excessive. The dirt roads and the fields in Germany were marshy and muddy after the Winter period. You have a good modeller´s compass. You know where everything goes and how to make things look right. 👍

5 hours ago, bissyboat said:

Impressive weathering Keith and battle scars. I don´t think the mud effects are excessive. The dirt roads and the fields in Germany were marshy and muddy after the Winter period. You have a good modeller´s compass. You know where everything goes and how to make things look right. 👍

Thank you for your comments @bissyboat, they are appreciated.   Still a way to go, but have managed to the remaining wheels (track carriers) the shovel, wrench and other bits stowed on the body painted so getting there now! 

Keith  😁

• Like 1