Airfix 1/24th Hurricane - possibly the longest build?

Keeff

So, 20+ years ago, I purchased the Airfix 1/24th Hurricane Mk1 which I started ..... then stopped as other things in life and career took over.  This year, I've been able to give a bit more time with being semi-retired, so here's where I'm at now ...... 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I have to say, it's been a painful journey getting to this stage .... the age of the kit,  the number of parts that have needed a lot of work to make them fit and my somewhat rusty skills haven't helped, but it's getting there. 

Comments welcome ..... please be gentle!!  🤣

Keith   

Edited by Keeff
Change of images to make them bigger!
  • Like 23

When I was about ten years old I got this bad-fitting kit for Christmas and cobbled it together. The result looked like a bad-fitting kit cobbled together by a ten year old.

I loved it.

Yours is MUCH better looking!

Looks like you're well through the build - hope you enjoy completing it.

Q

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Darth Vader said:

Them exhaust headers look very realistic indeed.

Thank you.  I used a brick red enamel, slightly thinned and added some rust pigment ...... and crossed my fingers!  

2 hours ago, Dr. Quack said:

When I was about ten years old I got this bad-fitting kit for Christmas and cobbled it together. The result looked like a bad-fitting kit cobbled together by a ten year old.

I loved it.

Yours is MUCH better looking!

Looks like you're well through the build - hope you enjoy completing it.

Q

Thank you for the comment.  The build is well on it's way, although it's been a slow job and I'm determined to finish it! 

Keith 

• Like 1

I think you're doing a great job, with the wings on and the fuselage together and looking good you have dealt with the major headaches involved in building this lovely old kit.

4 hours ago, Dr. Quack said:

I loved it.

Exactly the same here! I still love this ancient Airfix kit.

Richie

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Keeff said:

I have to say, it's been a painful journey getting to this stage .... the age of the kit,  the number of parts that have needed a lot of work to make them fit and my somewhat rusty skills haven't helped, but it's getting there. 

Keith   

You skills appear to me as far less rusty that the exhaust manifold in your pictures 😉

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Winded Penguin said:

You skills appear to me as far less rusty that the exhaust manifold in your pictures 😉

Thank you!  Nice to hear some positive comments!   😊

• Like 2

On 19/12/2022 at 14:19, Dr. Quack said:

I loved it.

Lol. Excellent. This is how we all start out isn't it? I did exactly the same - and I had the matching Spitfire and Stuka too.

On 19/12/2022 at 10:25, Keeff said:

I think its looking pretty good so far and I look forward to seeing how it turns out. :yes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it's been a while, but I have made some progress on the old Hurricane ...... 

It's been filled, filed and primed .... I even managed to get a mottled effect with the airbrush (another skill I'm learning! )

52630718880_0fc1391b5e_o.jpgUnderside primed and preshaded

52629761347_a9bf87db2a_o.jpgPrimed and preshaded 

52630528619_0448fd05c2_o.jpgPrimed and pre-shaded 2

The pre-shading looks quite dark on the pictures, but is in fact fairly light on the actual model.  

The masking was a challenge too ...... I found it a bit fiddly to say the least! 

Keith   

Edited by Keeff
My name removed!
  • Like 9

22 minutes ago, bissyboat said:

Nice comeback on your Hurri Keith. 👍

Thank you!  Hoping to get some colour applied today ..... 😀

20+ years, eh? 
Maybe there's something in the air, I've dug up a 1990s Revell F-15 I started waaaaaaay back when. 

1 hour ago, Keeff said:

The masking was a challenge too ...... I found it a bit fiddly to say the least! 

Ach. Before you know it, you'll be hand-masking a Heinkel 111 greenhouse in 1/72 scale :D

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

20+ years, eh? 
Maybe there's something in the air, I've dug up a 1990s Revell F-15 I started waaaaaaay back when. 

Well, these things can't be rushed!   🤣

48 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

Before you know it, you'll be hand-masking a Heinkel 111 greenhouse in 1/72 scale

I'm not that good!!  

Keith  😁

• Haha 1

Well, I got cracking this morning and here's the outcome ....

Underside airbrushed with Vallejo Sky Type S ... 

52630333677_dc593d3aef_o.jpg

Painted underside - Vallejo Sky S - it's not as blue in reality

52630333722_f4921bfdcf_o.jpg

I'm happy with the result, especially over the pre-shading.  

I've done a couple of other bits too .... painted a few of the smaller parts and masked the canopy parts ready for paint. 

😁

Edited by Keeff
My name removed from the images
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after a bit of time finishing a couple of other kits, here's the latest on the longest build ..... 

Camouflage airbrushed on .... freehand, no masking 😬

52649460090_7dd28d6a08_b.jpg

52648519847_60e0ed92cf_b.jpg

52649285594_56ded9837c_b.jpg

It's finally getting there .... 😀

Thanks for looking 

Keith   😁

Edited by Keeff
  • Like 11

8 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great work on your return to the hobby build, looking very nice indeed with the paint on .  Looking forward to seeing this progress.   It will certainly look very impressive in your display.

Chris

Thank you for the comment ..... there's a few bits that I'm not entirely happy with, such as some poor filling on the rear tail wings, but won't be correcting them at this stage. 

7 hours ago, AliGauld said:

I can only agree with the above.

Looking really good.

This will be a cracking display piece.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thank you.  It's turning out better than I hoped bearing in mind how long it's taken! 

Keith   😁

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well, time for an update ....  this build has been plodding along in between a couple of other projects, but I've dedicated some time recently to push on ..... 

I've applied a coat of gloss varnish and pin-washed the panels.  This has been followed by some chipping and I've used oils to create the streak effects on the upper and lower surfaces.  (a technique that I have little experience of!  😬)

52685460320_2f66678f52_b.jpg   

52685317759_79dde658fc_b.jpg 

52685317829_9b111d767d_b.jpg  

Comments and feedback welcome, and thanks for taking the time to look. 

Keith  😁

Edited by Keeff
Replaced images for bigger ones
  • Like 4