2022 Yearbook

mark.au

G'day all.  I'm pleased that my 2022 production was back to the norm of approximately one model per month.  This year's work covered some subjects out of my comfort zone including my first ship, my first helicopter, a second helicopter, and two biplanes.  One third of my models were Spitfires which was accident more than design.  I did a lot more scratch building than ever and switched to painted markings mid-year.  I worked in scales from 1/350 up to 1/32, but mostly stayed with 1/48.

In order of completion, here's what I managed (RFI links included, WIP can be found through the RFI if interested).

Airfix 1/48 (unusually for me, posed in-flight; stand photoshopped out)

spacer.png

spacer.png

Italeri 1/48 Scale

spacer.png

spacer.png

Hobby Boss 1/48 Scale

spacer.png

spacer.png

Dragon 1/48 Scale

spacer.png

spacer.png

Italeri 1/48 Scale

spacer.png

spacer.png

Showcase Models 1/350 Scale

spacer.png

spacer.png

Tamiya 1/48 Scale

spacer.png

spacer.png

Academy 1/48 Scale

spacer.png

spacer.png

Roden 1/32 Scale

spacer.png

spacer.png

Tamiya 1/48 Scale

spacer.png

spacer.png

ICM 1/48 Scale

spacer.png

spacer.png

Airfix 1/48 Scale

spacer.png

spacer.png

There you have it.  2022 was another great year for my on BM; the advice, encouragement and knowledge I gained, and continue to gain from the collective is priceless.

2023 will see a change in tack as I continue to push my boundaries.  In addition to at least one ship and one WW1 biplane, I'm going to build some jets!

Cheers.

• Like 43

Some super builds on there, for you it must be a year to be well satisfied with.

And first biplane with rigging!  A "joy" I'll experience next year, when I buckle down to my first rigged biplane.

• Thanks 1

Fantastic year of work Mark. Scrolling down the page was a case of 'that's definitely my favourite, no wait this one, nope...'. An interesting and eclectic collection even given the number of Spitfires.

As for my favourites, I think the Wren for sure, both because of the poignant story behind it, but also because of the astonishing quality, and that before one even considers that it was your first ship. I've been referring back to the judgement Avenger a lot as a guide (/source of tears), and the understated weathering and highlighting (while great throughout) are just off the charts in the Stringbag and SE5a.

Very much looking forward to your work in 2023. And please drag the others into some more unofficial GBs, they've been great to watch!

Cheers, 

Andy

EDIT: I hope I'm not overstepping, but if I may draw attention to (for anyone who happens to be as blind as I am) the link in Mark's sig. It's a wonderful resource and general read, giving a huge amount of eloquently written historical context to the builds. I can only put it down to a misplaced sense of modesty that Mark never seems to mention it! Many a working day will be lost, guaranteed!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What a set of builds Mark,

They are all just beautiful.

I can wholeheartedly agree with Andy. It really was a case of ooh that's the one.... No, wait, that's it. 

All the way through.

I feel the need to give a second shout out for your blog which is both filled with amazing builds but more importantly the history and human stories behind them.

Go and read it folks it's more than worth your time.

If I had to pick, and it's not going to be just one.

It would be the SE.5. The paintwork and subtle variation there are a thing to behold.

The Corsair too with the beautiful cloth effects and of course The Wren as not only was it a brilliant build but had a personal tale that got me in the feels.

I'm really looking forward to next years crop and will be stalking you even more.

All the best,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All of these are outstanding my friend and I'm glad I was able to follow along for most of them (but how did I miss the "captive wulf" build??).  I've learned quite a bit from your entertaining threads -- both about modeling and about the history!  Great work and thanks for sharing these.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What a year, great work on all of them Mark , enjoyed following along and also really enjoyed the unofficial GBs too, have to try some more of those, I fail miserably at the official ones but enjoy the naughty ones.

Like others have said very difficult to pick a fave as all are stunning, but it was good seeing the Spitfire, Avenger, Wrenn, SE5a and so on....

Great work. Not seen your blog as all my forum time is on my phone and it doesn't show up on screen .  

Great work all round 

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What a great years output, quality and quantity to boot, as an aircraft and Spitfire nut I found a lot to like but amazingly I found HMS Wren very attractive, I must secretly be a nautical type.

Cheers

Dennis

• Thanks 1

So many very generous and kind comments, thank you @ @Stew Dapple, @JeroenS, @IanC, @John Laidlaw, @opus999, @bigbadbadge, and @spitfire.

Some specifics to address…

11 hours ago, Whofan said:

And first biplane with rigging!  A "joy" I'll experience next year, when I buckle down to my first rigged biplane.

Good luck with your biplane!  It is a joy, but mostly after the fact 😂 

9 hours ago, Ngantek said:

And please drag the others into some more unofficial GBs, they've been great to watch!

Oh yes, there will be unofficial group build shenanigans in 2023 😈

9 hours ago, Ngantek said:

EDIT: I hope I'm not overstepping, but if I may draw attention to (for anyone who happens to be as blind as I am) the link in Mark's sig. It's a wonderful resource and general read, giving a huge amount of eloquently written historical context to the builds. I can only put it down to a misplaced sense of modesty that Mark never seems to mention it! Many a working day will be lost, guaranteed!

That’s extremely kind of you, Andy.  The site is a labour of love, mostly for my own benefit.  I have three articles in progress at the moment which focus on the pilots, hopefully I’ll get one or more finished and up over the holidays. 

9 hours ago, AliGauld said:

If I had to pick, and it's not going to be just one.

It would be the SE.5.

If I had to pick one for modelling satisfaction it would be the SE.5 as well, though the Wessex would be pretty damn close.  But, for obvious reasons the Wren is the most satisfying build (and website piece) this year. 

Thanks again, all the best for a lovely Christmas time and prosperous 2023.

Edited by mark.au
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Mark. Looks like a brilliant year, and all those are models to be proud of. I initially thought that first shot of the underside of your Spit was a real aircraft!

The  very in scale chipping on the Corsair looks fantastic in that it doesn’t hit you in the face. And I love your HMS Wren . I need to do a ship myself

A mate and I have indulged in a few buddy builds. They are certainly great fun. I must watch out here more for some.

look forward to seeing what you produce in 2023. I’m off to read your blog now

Bruce 

Edited by pacificmustang
  • Thanks 1

On 19/12/2022 at 11:46, Ngantek said:

You are indeed quite right, those are wonderful stories. 

• Thanks 1

On 20/12/2022 at 07:43, pacificmustang said:

A mate and I have indulged in a few buddy builds. They are certainly great fun. I must watch out here more for some.

look forward to seeing what you produce in 2023. I’m off to read your blog now

Bruce 

And I yours, which will be a useful reference when/if I build any of the same kits.

6 hours ago, JeroenS said:

You are indeed quite right, those are wonderful stories. 

Thanks gents.

• Like 2

If you had produced nothing but that first photograph of the Spitfire, I would still count it a successful year. That's the kind of thing I've been trying to do since I started this hobby, a photograph of a model, which looks like a photograph of a real one.

Fortunately that was not all that you finished this year. Your quality is consistent throughout. Most admirable. I'm particularly struck by the Wessex.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

If you had produced nothing but that first photograph of the Spitfire, I would still count it a successful year. That's the kind of thing I've been trying to do since I started this hobby, a photograph of a model, which looks like a photograph of a real one.

Thanks Bertie, I plan to do more in-flight models in the future to push those boundaries a bit more.

1 hour ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

This one looks like a modern warbird, maybe next you could do one that looks like 1940? I'd enjoy that. 

Like this, perhaps?

spacer.png

Digital art can be a lot of fun.   

Cheers.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

These are amazing. Can't and won't pick out a favourite, but the Wren is awesome for a first ship, it's taken me years building them to reach that standard. I love so many details on the aircraft, like the propeller on the SE.5, perfect.

• Thanks 1