Revell 1/24 Aston Martin DB5 "Goldfinger" due 09/2023

k5054nz

I have two Revell easy-click kits and both look good to me, cannot really tell when they are built up. As long as it is not pre-painted and just molded in color I am happy. Time will tell if there are any engine details.

Edited by dbostream

This is a fascinating development! I'm very keen to see what the kit looks like - I must confess the idea of a film poster being included is one I rather like!

I've long hoped for new Bond kits so I hope this is the sign of some exciting stuff to come. EDIT: I just looked at the list and saw the other Bond-themed kits - nothing for me but very promising!

Edited by k5054nz

• 8 months later...
On 12/18/2022 at 8:58 PM, stevehnz said:

Bit of luck there'll also be one without the JB bits, I'd love a standard DB5 in 1/24.

Steve.

You don't need to build the special parts. The kit can be built with the tyre slashers, bullet shield, bumper overriders, machine guns, etc. retracted. All you'd have to do is fill in the seam around the ejection seat roof panel and bullet shield.

I wish it included moving parts like the Airfix and Aurora versions but it doesn't.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, toml_12953 said:

You don't need to build the special parts. The kit can be built with the tyre slashers, bullet shield, bumper overriders, machine guns, etc. retracted. All you'd have to do is fill in the seam around the ejection seat roof panel and bullet shield.

I wish it included moving parts like the Airfix and Aurora versions but it doesn't.

Thanks for that, not having seen the kit I wasn't sure, so I'll keep an eye out. I don't even know if they've made it to New Zealand yet, I haven't seen them if they have. 

Steve.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I succumbed to temptation and got the Revell kit. Looks good to my untutored eye.

A question for the connoisseurs - what paint would be a suitable representation of the Silver Birch in which James Bond's vehicle was finished? I'm looking for something I can spray through an airbrush, rather than use an aerosol can.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Steve Coombs said:

what paint would be a suitable representation of the Silver Birch

I always just see it as a very plain, very fine-grained aluminium paint with a clearcoat, as per this car

https://astonmartinworks.com/pre-owned/aston-martin-db5-vantage-silver-birch-db52235r/

spacer.png

For mine I will be using absolutely bog-standard Halfords Aluminium from the non-manufacturer-matched basics range because it's so cheap, easy and foolproof. But if I wanted to use the airbrush I would use Alclad II plain aluminium. 

The key for me with this colour is it must be very fine-grained, with no visible metal-flake sparkle. Most modern aerosols matched to car manufacturer colours have far too much grain and sparkle for this purpose.

The clearcoat on mine will be built up enough to be wet-sanded absolutely smooth and free from orange peel, and a couple of weeks later I will then buff it with fine cutting compound and polish it with car wax. To my eye this yields a very good scale effect for a car which is clean, shiny and well-kept without lapsing into the "US show car" "wet gloss" look, which is not what I want on a car of this era. But that's a question of personal choice.

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Thanks 3