Revell 1/24 Aston Martin DB5 "Goldfinger" due 09/2023

k5054nz

This is good news.. hopefully the start of some really good James Bond kits to come. Funnily enough (and a little off topic), I was only thinking the other day why Lego hasn’t taken up the opportunity to release a series of JB themed sets? I’m sure they’d sell really well. 

Cheers.. Dave 

2 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I was only thinking the other day why Lego hasn’t taken up the opportunity to release a series of JB themed sets? 

It’s because Lego is evil and wants to take over the world! 🧐

• Haha 7

6 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Bit of luck there'll also be one without the JB bits, I'd love a standard DB5 in 1/24.

Steve.

I agree. I hope they eventually release a stock version and not as a gift set. But this is great news either way.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

This is good news.. hopefully the start of some really good James Bond kits to come. Funnily enough (and a little off topic), I was only thinking the other day why Lego hasn’t taken up the opportunity to release a series of JB themed sets? I’m sure they’d sell really well. 

Cheers.. Dave 

https://www.lego.com/en-gb/product/james-bond-aston-martin-db5-10262

Not sure what else you’d have in a series that’s as iconic and Lego friendly… Little Nelly? The Esprit underwater? 
best,

M.

10 minutes ago, cmatthewbacon said:

https://www.lego.com/en-gb/product/james-bond-aston-martin-db5-10262

Not sure what else you’d have in a series that’s as iconic and Lego friendly… Little Nelly? The Esprit underwater? 
best,

M.

Moonraker Shuttle, Jaws figure,  Odd Job,  fluffy white cat…. the options are endless! 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Work In Progress said:

Hope they get the shape nearer to the real thing than they did with their recent E-Type. If so then I'll be having one

I suspect they got it wrong because they decided to reuse the windshield for both the FHC and OTS. Should not be an issue with this kit.

Standard Aston Martins are missing in 1/24 range (except the DBS from Tamiya and the old DBs from other brands) ; I wonder why as we have almost all Ferraris and Lamborghinis in this scale !

Ir is a shame that an accurate DB5 was not issued recently as it is one of the most iconic car of the 60's !

Edited by Violet Club
Spelling error
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Violet Club said:

Standard Aston Martins are missing in 1/24 range (except the DBS from Tamiya and the old DBs from other brands) ; I wonder why as we have almost all Ferraris and Lamborghinis in this scale !

Alpha do three modern Astons in 1/24. Or four. DB11; Superleggera, Vantage Zagato.

3 hours ago, dbostream said:

I suspect they got it wrong because they decided to reuse the windshield for both the FHC and OTS. Should not be an issue with this kit.

That was my thought as well, however from memory, the screen sprues are not the same.  Makes me wonder if they only scanned* / had access to an OTS, and then they did the FHC shaping afterwards - that would explain the rest of the roof being a bit off too...

*Whilst the Revell is probably the best E Type OTS kit in this scale, the headlights are not quite right (compare to Airfix's 1:43, which did get the subtleties of the shape spot-on), which makes me think it wasn't 3D scanned.

I recall reading a few years back that Revell were planning a DB5, but that licensing issues put an end to it.  Hopefully that has all been sorted out now, as a decent '60s Aston is long overdue.  The Doyusha one which was reboxed by Airfix in the '90s was very crude.

A question for the Aston experts - would just converting the headlights to regular 7" ones be sufficient to make it into an accurate DB4?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul H said:

I recall reading a few years back that Revell were planning a DB5, but that licensing issues put an end to it.  Hopefully that has all been sorted out now, as a decent '60s Aston is long overdue.  The Doyusha one which was reboxed by Airfix in the '90s was very crude.

I did not know this. If a licensing deal is in place I hope we get some new Aston Martins too eventually.

I used to own the Doyusha version but I didn't like it and sold it.

1 hour ago, Paul H said:

A question for the Aston experts - would just converting the headlights to regular 7" ones be sufficient to make it into an accurate DB4?

You can make a late DB4 Vantage or DB4 Series 5, but most of those had the cowled headlights, so they’re really almost the same as a DB5 (which standardised on the more powerful engine). An earlier DB4 with regular headlights would also need a bigger bonnet scoop, shorter body, a slightly different, lower, roofline and boot changes. You’d also need to “detune” the engine with twin SUs instead of triple Webers…

best,

M.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Matt - given the roof changes, it looks like a drophead DB4 would be an easier conversion than a coupe (ideal for anyone who wants to create Charlie Croker's one), which would be an interesting version to display alongside a DB5.  If I ever have time (hahahaha...), I'd be wanting to convert one into a Lagonda Rapide too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dbostream said:

I used to own the Doyusha version but I didn't like it and sold it.

I had an Airfix rebox of a regular (i.e. not Q Branch modded) one, and did the same.  Really unimpressed with it, specially as the previous one from that Airfix series which I'd bought just before it was the reboxed Aoshima MGB, which is a really excellent kit.

On 12/18/2022 at 9:12 PM, Rabbit Leader said:

Cheers.. Dave 

Lego has released two different 007 Aston Martins.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, k5054nz said:

I'm hoping against hope for a The Living Daylights-era V8 Vantage.

Especially if it comes with the the Q dept winter pack options!  Always thought that it was one of the best Bond film car chases.  Not so fussed about the cello though...

• Like 1

Prompted by a post elsewhere about this, which mentioned it being an easy click kit, here's the details about it posted on the IPMS Germany site:

05653 Aston Martin DB5 gift set – “Goldfinger” in 1:24

The Aston Martin DB5 is one of the most iconic cars in cinematic history, and now you can own your very own model with the Goldfinger Edition. Perfect for Bond fans of all ages, this 1/24 scale 90 piece level 2 kit (easy-click kit) comes with everything you need to bring your very own Bond vehicle to life. As a highlight for all 007 fans, there is an original film poster for the gift set.

Easy to build

No sticking

Painting for refinement and detail only

Typical features from "Goldfinger" buildable

Brushes and paints are included

https://ipmsdeutschland-de.translate.goog/wordpress/2022/12/31/revell-neuheiten-2023-model-kits-2/?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

The other big question is does the For Your Eyes Only edition 2CV also listed on there have the additional parts to provide the correct rectangular headlights?  I can easily imagine one of these being accompanied by a black painted Welly diecast Peugeot 504...

• Like 1

Even if this DB5 will be an "easy kit", I believe that it will be, in any cases, better than the old 1966 Airfix kit (that I have in my collection) !

Some "Easy to Click" kits, with no cement necessary, are not especially bad... Take a look a Bandai Star Wars kits ; these are also easy to click without cement and , in spite of this, the detail is excellent !

Furthermore, it is possible to see some 3D or Resin parts on the market to improve the kit, if necessary ! I hope that other "OO7" kits will follow in the future (Aston V-8, DB10, Atlantis base, Moonraker Space Base...) to name a few... I keep my fingers crossed !

• Like 2