One 48

Went to see it this afternoon, no spoilers here, but we all knew or guessed this was not going to be an impressive plot flick (as the original wasn't too) but forget about that, visually this is the most stunning looking film I've ever seen and for those blessed with Cinema's with a decent sound system it rocks that way too.

Avatar 3 is already made apparently and gets released in about 2 years, it was made side by side with this one and no spoilers as promised but Avatar 2 does give clues as to how Avatar 3 might go. Avatar 4 and 5 will go ahead if these two make decent money ... or so I've read !

Big thumbs up from me, hope there is a 3D Blu Ray release too ... still have my old 60" 3D Plasma LOL.

From me .. Visuals and sound 10/10, Plot 6/10, still a very - very worthwhile film to go see in the festive season with family or friends.

• Like 1

I can switch my brain off for a couple of hours for films like these, but whether I'll manage to get to see it at the motion-picture-magick-box, I don't know.  Might have to wait for it to turn up on my much-smaller-window-on-the-universe that takes up a portion of one of my lounge walls. :hmmm:

Would it be suitable for a 12 year old that's pretty switched-on about plot-holes and inconsistencies? :)

• Like 1

Yep I think so, its rated 12A, there were a few kids at this afternoons showing that seemed to be of this age and judging by the smiles on their faces leaving the Cinema they were well entertained 👍

Film is a good 3 hours long.

On 12/18/2022 at 11:11 PM, One 48 said:

Yep I think so, its rated 12A, there were a few kids at this afternoons showing that seemed to be of this age and judging by the smiles on their faces leaving the Cinema they were well entertained 👍

Film is a good 3 hours long.

Without giving too much away, is it a standalone story, or more of a re-hash of the original with swimming instead of flying ?

Yes and No :)

Sorry to be a bit vague :) But its a continuation of the first story as is Avatar 3 ... it looks like. Avatar 3 is already completed (2 and 3 were shot side by side) Some would call a story continuation a rehash I suppose but I wouldnt, there are some loose ends but the story is not over yet and I'm sure those ends will be tied up in 3, we all know 3 is coming Dec 2024, 4 and 5 are in pre-production, but a lot depends on how well 2 and 3 do I've read.

Apart from the water, there are some new elements, much more focus on family values this time, and thats a good thing I recokon, some intentionally comical moments too.

Give it a gamble, it wont be the best film you'll ever see but it wont be the worst either, also its WELL worth it just for the visuals and sound IMHO ... but do it in 3D or IMAX if you can, the 3D for the most part is quite subtle, not over done.

Everyones different, there are people that love it, there are people that love to hate it ... some who have not even seen it ! I thourghly enjoyed it.

We were £11 each and a £1 each for the 3D glasses you can keep, a cheap night out really if you stay away from the junk food in the kiosk 🍔 🥤

I'm looking forward to seeing it, but I'm expecting a very cliched, well-worn story. It's received some VERY mixed reviews. The haters despise it with a passion and the lovers swoon over it. I'm thinking it will be a visual feast, but not terribly entertaining on a narrative level. 

For a director who knows how to do great stories on a small budget (the first Terminator, even Aliens would be considered very "low budget" by modern standards), the Avatar movies seem to be entirely steeped in their own "never mind the story, look at all the pretty piccies" vibe. I'm sorry, but the time I valued technology over good story-telling ended decades ago.  

Also, why on earth did it have to be THREE hours long?

Chris. 

Edited by spruecutter96
Amending some information.

Sounds like its probably not for you mate? Was a bit concerned at the 3 hours length too, but it flew in and I could have watched more .. but for the fact my arthritic condition does not like being in one position for long, fortunately the seats at my Cinema are very comfy with decent leg room or I'd have went elsewhere to see it.

Perhaps wait until it comes to the small screen, but it wont be the same.

In actual fact the reviews are surprisingly positive, sure its not everyone's cup of tea, some duff reviews sure .. Mark Kermode gave it a hiding of a review ... have you seen it? LOL, its as if he's on drugs the review of his I saw ... if I can find it I'll link to it, normally respect him as a film critic too :)

IMDB have it as an 8.0/10  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1630029/

Rotten Tomatoes as a 78% from 365 reviews with an average Audience score of 93% from 5000 verified ratings https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/avatar_the_way_of_water

But if in doubt mate, just don't go :) All I'm doing here is passing on my personal experience and from the two people I attended with on Sunday afternoon, they enjoyed it a lot too.

No, I definitely want to see it, but I have some low expectations of the story. For years now, Hollywood has been making the assumption that the only people who go to the cinema are American twelve year-olds and they tend to make hugely simplified, "cookie-cutter" movies as a result (yes, I'm talking about you, MARVEL! Please stop re-making exactly the same film, over-and-over). 

Hollywood is a business first - I fully understand the enormous pressures on producers and directors to get "bums on seats". The ironic thing is that - post-COVID and the unstoppable rise of streaming services - I believe that going to a cinema will eventually become a distant memory. I think that will be a great shame. With all the huge advances in home-entertainment, a good cinema is still the only real place to see a "spectacle" movie. 

Cheers. 

Chris. 

PS: I'm not a cinema "snob" - some of my favourite movies are pretty-darned "low brow". Top Secret.... Life of Brian....Airplane....the Naked Gun series.... all comedy classics, IMHO.  

• Like 1

Oh I love Life of Brian, LOL

Yes I agree too, there will come a day when Cinemas will not exist or be confined to only the biggest city's in a country, use it or lose it is my philosophy ... do love the Cinema, almost 64 years old here now and always loved the Cinema, saw most good classics at Cinema's first before buying on as formats in first VHS, then DVD, then Blu Ray (inc 3D) and now 4k Blu Ray ... I just love a physical library of films rather than streaming, often replace them with newer versions too ... I'm a bit obsessed that way I'm afraid :)

If you go see it at the Cinema, let us know what you thought, always good to hear others perspectives.

On 12/22/2022 at 10:58 AM, One 48 said:

Give it a gamble, it wont be the best film you'll ever see but it wont be the worst either, 

Given that Syfy have been showing every film made by The Asylum,  I can *guarantee* it won't be the worst !  🤣

• Like 1

Saw it last week and loved it, it is a long film but the time flew past by.

My wife who hates anything remotely Sci Fi/fantasy also loved it and is looking forward to the next one.

We liked it that much that we will probably go back and see it again, though this time in 3D.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 2

Well, went to see it tonight and had a genuine blast. STUNNING visuals and the (nearly) three hours didn't drag one little bit (yep, when they first meet up with the Reef People, things do slow down, but still didn't get boring). I don't mind admitting that I got a bit emotional in some scenes (must be the hormones kicking in!).  

Jermaine Clement (Flight of The Concords) looked very different and significantly "older" (don't know if that was make-up or just how he looks now). Kinda glad I didn't see it in 3D - I think that would have given me a big headache. 

Happy New Year to all. 

Chris.  

• Like 2

I saw it the first evening it showed here, I think that made us the first country to release it by a few hours. I was apprehensive about the run time & the swimming instead of trees thing & said to my son's, with whom I went to it,  reckon I might be good for this one, not sure about the next though, now it's bring on #3, I just loved it!

The creatures were awesome, the characterisations were more rounded I thought, playing spot the nod to other movies was fun, (I need to see it again, according to my son's I missed a couple).  Our local reviewer gave it 4.7 stars, excellent from him & right up there with his review of The Last of the Mohicans, which I also loved. 

Steve.

• Like 1

I think I will go see it again myself, will be a long wait for the Blu Ray and almost a year for the 3rd edition.

Oh ... and I agree on the nods to other films, spotted four :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just noticed I never provided a link to this film in my original post, will soon be 2 months since I posted that and still its showing in my tiny town Cinema, the film is still doing the rounds ... Amazing.

• Like 1

We saw the 3D version some number of weeks ago. I'm not one for gimmicks but I do have to say the 3D was well done and worth the price.

Cinema prices are so excessive here that we only see stuff on a big screen that well and truly need that venue, which means once, maybe twice. a year. Everything else is streamed at home.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Just bumping this thread again, own the official 4K UHD Blu Ray now and watched it last night ... only my second viewing since the cinema experience on this thread start date ... WOW.

If anything it looks even better on my large TV than my local cinema could project ... soooo much detail to digest that I missed on first viewing and as scale modellers detail is something we all appreciate here.

Its a 3 disc Blu Ray, 4K, Std Blu, and a disc full of extra's I shall watch soon for the details and makings of I tend to enjoy.

Its out on a regular Blu Ray release and DVD as well as 3D Blu Ray versions too.

How many more are they making? I might hold off physical media until there's a boxed set or summit.  I love the detail of 4K Blurry, but resent paying up to £25 for a single movie.

Now when can I have 4K Gravity? :hmmm:

Mike, AFAIK, Avatar 3 has already been made, it was shot side by side with Avatar 2 but not for release until winter next year, avatar 4 and 5 would go into production if 2 was successful ... and by all accounts it was ... so a box set may be some time down the line ... don't quote me on that schedule, but thats roughly the gist of it 👍

• 1 month later...

My verdict ?  Overly-long yawn-fest.

I wanted to like this film. Liked the original a lot.

But....   the bits of the film I wasn't jumping up and down on my seat yelling at them to "get on with it !!!!",

I was left thinking  "oh yeah, this is just repeating that bit from the original".

Can't quite put my finger on it, but the magic was missing.

• Haha 1