Hawker Typhoon digital profile

baldwin8

My recently completed second serious attempt at a digital profile. I had used PS Elements for at least 10 years, but only for minor editing of my digital airliner photos. PS Elements contains a number of useful tools to get the effects I was looking for. The basic line drawing was done with Inkscape to start this. The aircraft was flown by S/L Jack R. Beirnes DFC & Bar, of 438 squadron and in this photo you can see the overspray around the "B" which looks freshly applied compared to the F3 and which to tried to reproduce. In another photo the squadron leader's pennant can be seen below the windscreen. The 438 squadron Historian confirmed the serial number of this aircraft as MM959. Looking at the completed work now I can see areas that could be improved, and by the end I was growing a bit frustrated at my workflow and the many lessons I was discovering.

While surviving the war, sadly JR Beirnes died in an air accident just weeks after the end.

The research for me was as enjoyable as the digital work. Comments and suggestions are welcome,

SL-Jack-Beirnes-RCAF-CO-of-438-Sqn-with-

Beirnes-Typhoon-LHS-MM959-9dec-1900px-so

• Like 10

On 12/18/2022 at 3:20 PM, stevehnz said:

That looks good to me, some nicely nuanced weathering in there but very subtle.

Thank you @stevehnz, @Sabrejet and @keefr22 for the nice comments. Although it's easy to find Typhoon photos very grubby looking, I tried not to overdo it. Still feeling my way around the tools menu of PS Elements. Busy making drawings and already started another.

• Like 2