An MPM Meteor PR9 in the colours of a 79sqn machine, based in Germany 1953

stevehnz

Hoping I can pull this off in the next 4 weeks. In view of what is along the way, I've my doubts. :shrug: This was the state of play last night, just a few cockpit bits stuck together.

Edit 16/02/23, this WiP was originally in the Gloster meteor GB but life got in the way a bit & I ran out of time so I've had it shifted over to this Forum.

IMG20221217162328

Steve.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Looks to be a very nice choice, lets see how far you get. 

Do you doubt me Dennis? ;) :P Not sure how this is going to go, having hacked off the fighter nose tonight & glued on the camera nose, I realise the cockpit floor which is also the nose wheel mount runs right through the oblique camera ports. I kind of had in mind to leave them clear but paint everything inside black, maybe I'll be painting the insides of the camera ports black too? Something to ponder in my sleep. :D At least everything seemed to line up ok.

Steve.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Do you doubt me Dennis? ;) :P

No definitely not, what I always think about is how life has a way of interrupting modeling. I would love to see this finished and will very lijely be the happiest host if you do. 

8 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I realise the cockpit floor which is also the nose wheel mount runs right through the oblique camera ports. I kind of had in mind to leave them clear but paint everything inside black, maybe I'll be painting the insides of the camera ports black too?

Maybe notch the floor behind the ports ? If you cant the black would work. If you have any of the Tamiya clear colors or similar you could use Smoke. First I’d paint the inside of the clear piece smoke, then place a drop of silver in the middle. It should give the appearance of a camera lens behind the glass. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2

Nice choice Steve and I like the look of the decal set. My dad worked on these at Gutersloh so I have a soft spot for them. Made an MPM one in ovrrall silver a few years ago but I think I like the camo scheme more. Good luck with it.

J

• Thanks 1

I've been having a play with the front of the cockpit assembly, the bit that sticks thru into the nose & after having a look at the instructions for the Airfix 1/48 FR.9, page 13, I've done some cutting & shutting of the very tip where it will be visible,  & visible the cameras on these very much were looking at photos online. The camera compartment seems to have been white or very pale grey with angled sides & front to accommodate the directions the cameras were set in. The Airfix instructions show a camera in each position, ie one in each side oblique position & one facing forward. I'm wondering if this would be correct, or were they loaded according to mission requirements? I don't really fancy making more small cameras than I need to. :) Included is a bit of paint fiddling in the colours this build will be. The cockpit I built up the other night got progressively dismantled in the process of doing this. :( Not to worry, we can rebuild it, we have the technology. :D 

IMG_20221220_221720

Steve.

• Like 9

Nice idea on the angled floor, Steve. Airfix give the interior of the camera bay as aluminium in colour, but I can't vouch for the accuracy of that

James

4 hours ago, 81-er said:

Airfix give the interior of the camera bay as aluminium in colour

Hi James, yes I saw that but a couple I saw on line appeared otherwise, I'll go back & have a look, maybe put a couple of links up & see what people think.

Steve.

Sounds like a good idea, Steve (with the side benefit that I haven't painted the inside of the camera bay on mine yet either, so I have the opportunity to get it right)

James

39 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

To my eye, neither this photo nor this photo looks especially silver to me, the latter when compared to the drop tank, so I'll probably go with a very pale gray shade, something like Humbrol 196.

Steve.

Could they be light aircraft grey ? 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Could they be light aircraft grey ? 

Highly unlikely; Light Aircraft Grey was introduced in the mid-to-late 1960s as a near equivalent to High Speed Silver for underside camouflage.  Interiors of camera bays on Meteors are more likely to have been High Speed Silver as specified for wheel wells and flap shrouds for example.

• Like 2

On 12/20/2022 at 11:56 PM, stevehnz said:

To my eye, neither this photo nor this photo looks especially silver to me, the latter when compared to the drop tank, so I'll probably go with a very pale gray shade, something like Humbrol 196.

Steve.

Interesting and tasty photos Steve (WB116 particularly) and must confess that I hadn't paid much thought to the interior colour of the camera bay, but clearly one should given the prominence of that shelf-type affair that can be seen. I am struck though by how the nosewheel leg is painted PRU Blue in both pics, although somehow I doubt that the main legs got the same treatment?

Justin

• Like 1

I haven't got to that yet, about to get started on this again, I found this page which described these as having one camera in the nose that could be repositioned elecrically so one camera it will be, probably looking through the nose port. A good spot on the nose gear colour, I'm thinking the main gear will be severely dull silver colour. :shrug:

Steve.

• 3 weeks later...

Oops, nearly 3 weeks between updates, that's the silly season for you, thankfully no longer in the ascendency& I've been able to get on with hings a bit. Some of the energy for this was diverted temporarily toward a thread I started in the cold war section of Aircraft Military Modelling, where I was looking for info on a couple of issues. It was a most useful thread & a great help along the way, thanks to @Dave Fleming in the main but some other useful points to steer me on the straight & narrow. I was thinking at the time I'd run out of time for the GB but now, with the extension bestowed by our fearless leaders, I still might make it. One of the big things with these is preventing tail sitting, especially with the camera ports showing up what would be a good place to hide ballast. Luckily there was plenty quite a lot of room behind the nose gear bay but being a bit further back it was going to take more weight. By the look of this, I've got enough in place & I think it'll be OK now. Maybe tomorrow to join the fuselage halves & attach the wings, The latter are glued now, the fuselage just taped.

IMG_20230117_231106

Steve.

• Like 6

Not quite where I wanted to be tonight but I've gone a long way toward solving another issue, that of the centre section saddle that the fuselage is supposed to mate to being too wide & off centre. I bit of work with a rat tile file on the side that stuck out further has largely fixed the problem, I'll wait till I get the fuselage stuck on & make final adjustments then. Manana.

IMG_20230119_234445

Steve.

• Like 7

Good going Steve, be nice to see this done but with a week to go?...... 

Regarding the interior of the camera ports, I would have just done them black with a couple of silver 'stripes' horizontally and vertically just to create the image of 'something in there' 😁

Good luck.

Davey.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveyGair said:

Good going Steve, be nice to see this done but with a week to go?...... 

Regarding the interior of the camera ports, I would have just done them black with a couple of silver 'stripes' horizontally and vertically just to create the image of 'something in there' 😁

Good luck.

Davey.

I'm ready to start painting now Davey, so hopefully can still get there. I've been hating it a bit the last couple of days, once I got the wings on I realised just how grossly too thick they are & was tempted to bin it, but have carried on anyway. I'm seriously thinking of doing one of the other colour schemes, & keeping the option I wanted to do for an Airfix FR.9 when they release one to the public, they will, won't they. 😟 Either way, there're very likely going to be some MPM Meteors going for a good price in New Zealand in the near future. <_<  Once its was closed up, there was so little visible in the camera port that I'm OK with what I've done.

Steve.

• Like 3

It's going to be a bit squeaky but I think I can get it over the line. The state of play tonight, a few touch ups to do but generally happy enough with the paint. Not the scheme I chose originally, that is now reserved for when Airfix release their FR.9 to the public, but doing a colourful 8sqn Machine with DG/DSG/PRU Blue scheme, WX978.

IMG_20230127_233231

Steve.

• Like 7

Nope, not going to happen. If I'd had a clear run, maybe but today of all days, our youngest cat decided he was sick of being a house cat & leapt off our deck (2nd story height), that was about 10 hours ago, we got him back about an hour ago, buggeration. :(

I'll get the mods to shift it to a WiP thread when the GB finishes & finish it at leisure, next project is a Catio on part of the deck. Damn. 😠

Steve.

• Sad 5

I’ve just come across this thread belatedly Steve. Shame you’ll miss the GB deadline, however no point rushing things once you’ve got this far. This FR.9 is looking great and I’m sure we’ll see it in the RFI section not before too long. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1