Learning the ropes

perdu

A little more G, additionally we have the aircraft codes, ejection seat triangles and the first aid cubby hole marked out.

Unusually this opening panel (with ever so dirty top hinges) wasn't marked on the fuselage but this seems to be the right place.

P1010184.jpg

After I finish I will trim the sloppy masking areas, some will get paint others slivers of decal sheet colour.

Some of which are sitting at the back of screen awaiting trimming for the Harrier GR5 I am doing in another place.

P1010185.jpg

Now I have to scare up a couple of tip tank decals proudkly proclaiming AVTUR and with holes for the filler caps left open.

I spent/wasted/utilised all of my first two hours of modelling time today hoping to find such decals in my spare decals file.

Nada!

So later I will draw up such in Paint Shop Pro and get a few printed off.

When I begin tidying up after the decalling is done I will gently hide all the lightened whitened strips leaking out from behind the home printed decals, only then will I be happy.

You?

• Like 10

A bit more done, Aircraft ID numbers, ejection seat warnings, first aid cubby hole transfers in keeping with my policy of not dashing pell-mell into it.

P1010186.jpg

I need to find tip tank decals now after spending nearly two hours this morning stealing modelling time searching my decal reserve collection and finding none except the fuel fill marks on decal sheets for The Mighty Wokka so a session on Paint Shop Pro beckons to draw first a hole above the legend AVTUR, letters to be white and the square they sit upon black.

P1010185.jpg

Best look at the ones Steve @Fritagput on his'n. I found some markings on the web which gave me a decent basis to work with on this build but there was no suitable tank decal to work with.

So real graphics to play at later.

But first there's to be a race, in a hot, hot country...

• Like 12

I don't think I've mentioned this yet - I'm amazed at the clarity of that canopy. Showing the beautiful job you did with the cockpit  :worthy:

Decals job progressing smoothly, there :clap:

Ciao 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Brandy said:

Nice!

Not too hot here yet, only 26C in Abu Dhabi at 5pm and Bahrain is generally a little cooler. 

Ian

Spoiling my imperfect perceptions.

😂

Thanks Ian

• Haha 3

Update.

The canopy has peed me off big time, a drawback to using Appliance White is that I often let it spray just a tad too thickly, which happened over the canopy so I have been hacking off-ish the thick paint round the framing-ish.

Not for the faint hearted but nothing ventured...

As a precaution I emailed Airfix/Humbrol offering to buy a set of transparencies (decals for the better set too, but)

Dear Sir ,sorry but the model is out of production and we can not therefore...

[HUGELY PARAPHRASING, BUT]

So I have no choice but to hope for removal without pain, some hopes but we'll see.

Out of production huh?

And the flat, nose based antenna is positioned too high on the nose, has to come off and be repositioned...

Paint lines also need readjusting.

• Sad 6

I use the very tip of a curved scalpel blade for jobs like that. I've even managed to remove overspray and not damage the layer below.

Ian

• Like 2

Well I think she’s lookin’ very pretty, Bill.  Nice curves - as one would expect :D

Is the appliance white to tuff for cocktail sticks to clean up Bill? Them’s my usual weapon of choice on canopies.

• Like 3

Basically Steve it's beautifully shiny white but there is a certain resilience which stops cocktail sticks pushing the residue away.

I am trimming by cutting with my flat chisel edges.

Seems to be ok so far.

At the mo we are paused while I make the tank AVTUR black outline panels.

• Like 3

Made, in Paint Shop Pro 4 and fitted with Daco Strong

16782863878206296030039989614758.jpg

And

16782863578275636531949848566722.jpg

White paint under the filler hole so that the lettering can shine through, made these from clear decal paper so the filler hole can be kept clear.

If the Daco isnt strong enough (it happens!) I will probably cut out the hole over the cap.

• Like 11

Lovely miniscule detail on the JP's undercarriage legs

16782909794395178162153597110408.jpg

Lookit the height of that leg

16782911677471646511189677936635.jpg

Well done Airfix, even if you don't want me to start with a fresh new canopy...

:) 

• Like 9

I'm enjoying this - the JP has always been a favourite ever since I got the chance to sit in one at Little Rissington back when I was a scout. Airfix's latest iteration is SO much nicer than the ancient one I remember making back in the 70s. And of course the red/grey/white has to be one of the best colour schemes ever...

• Like 2

On 3/8/2023 at 4:59 PM, Galligraphics said:

And of course the red/grey/white has to be one of the best colour schemes ever...

Doesn’t it just!

On 3/8/2023 at 4:02 PM, perdu said:

Lovely miniscule detail on the JP's undercarriage legs

Impressed of North Yorkshire…

On 3/8/2023 at 3:27 PM, perdu said:

Made, in Paint Shop Pro 4 and fitted with Daco Strong

Nicely, Bill.

She’s coming on beautifully, Bill.

• Thanks 1

The JP gets better every time I look Bill.

Brings back memories. Back in the mid 70's I did regular trips to Warton with my boss (I was just a young keen MOD "official") at BAC, for progress meetings on the JP3 to 3A and JP5 to 5A avionics upgrades. After the morning meeting we would convene to the pub for lunch, near the end of Warton's runway, and sit in the beer garden watching various aircraft including the JP's in glorious red/white/grey pass close by on final. The pub may have been the Ship I think. Then back to work in the afternoon, for an inspection of the production line mods. Lovely shiny 3's and 5's in the hanger for close inspection. Happy days!

T.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Almost a month gone but not forgotten

I have been unsatisfied with some of the decal choices available for the Church Fenton aircraft, one silly little detail I  have been unable to ignore has been the rather puny FIGHT FIRE markings.

The square that sits around the fire access doors, mine looks anaemic and lacking in robustity.

So I have made up several suitable decals in Paint Shop5, now I have them printed I can use some of them for other suitable charity cases.

My next Wessex springs to mind, I often find a lack of the proper style marks so I have printed three styles in several likely sizes.

P1010273.jpg

The actual decal paper prints are drying over the radiator behind me, this is just the paper print mule I use to check sizes and shapes after they've been put into MS Word to be printed.

More on this over  the weekend

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

The FIGHT FIRE decalcomanies failed, I used too much Microscale decal film liquid which meant they wouldnt stick down nicely as I asked them to.

Completely ignored Daco Strong too, wow!

However the serial decals I made went down perfectly on the fuselage

16815764905554038040312129500247.jpg

I'm happy with that

Less so with this

1681576571792478298477507170077.jpg

Alignment all to pot and I think its the wrong size lettering, beggar it all, I am about to make a single piece decal for each wing instead.

Crossed digital extremities would be welcome

I may revisit the Church Fenton code 84 too, I thinks that looks a tad thinimal 

• Like 7
  • Sad 2

I think that's a good decision. It doesn't always work first time.

I've spent 3 full days trying to get the seats for my Taube designed. Each time is a little closer but not quite right. Unfortunately the reason for the fail is usually something I did back at the beginning and with sculpt mode there's no history to correct. Ironically I have the sculpt part sorted now but can't fill in the back!

Getting there though!

Ian

• Like 1

1 hour ago, perdu said:

16815764905554038040312129500247.jpg

That JP looks beautiful Bill. The alignment challenges underwing are well known to me! 

As Ian suggests, a good decision to re-do as one. Fingers crossed.

Terry

• Thanks 1

here we go, I'm much happier with the new FIGHT FIRE stickers and the new fin tail number

16817432997097278996513864576551.jpg

&

16817433334778172064247397752921.jpg

And the new underwing serials too

1681743387329770690386488444583.jpg

Note to self:

If you can print the serial as a unit it is always better than adding them piecemeal from sheets.

Note to you:

That only goes if the serial is not printed in white, entirely different rules apply for white numerals and letters

Note:

The nose code is supposed to be the same size as the tail code, but I have run out of suitably sized white '4's

More ordered for delivery in a day or so*

*Hopefully to take far less time than the Bare Metal Foil I ordered on the 7th and which still haven't arrived ten days later from Notts.

• Like 7