JASDF bases in November

Filler

As Covid restrictions were finally eased for entering Japan, my wife and I finally got to take our boy to meet his maternal family. And of course, whilst there I took the opportunity to make a couple of fence visits.

First of all, a MASSIVE thank you to Andy @Red Dot for his advice and maps that I could not have done without.

We were staying in Oita in southern Japan and the nearest base is Tsuiki. I went by train (a couple of hours) and a 30 minute walk to the one real vantage point. I was there three years ago, and the base was a building site. It still is.

Plenty of activity from the based F-2s. and a couple of visitors.

52564370560_caa4e3d728_k.jpgMitsubishi F-2A 8th TFS 93-8548 at Tsuiki Air Base by Phil Childs, on Flickr

This was a nice surprise visitor, but it backtracked the runway instead of using the taxiway, so was a bit distant and heat hazy.

52565166968_91f2d02684_k.jpgBeechcraft LC-90, 61 Air Transport Squadron 9305 JMSDF at Tsuiki by Phil Childs, on Flickr

52565102080_e2ffd24fd2_k.jpgKawasaki T-4, 13th Flying Training Wing, 016-5649 at Tsuiki by Phil Childs, on Flickr

52564350332_ded5066283_k.jpgMitsubishi F-2A 8th TFS 03-8555 at Tsuiki Air Base by Phil Childs, on Flickr

After a couple of weeks of family time, I ‘escaped’ by train up to Ishikawa prefecture. Seven hours of wearing a mask (remember that?) and torrential rain (first day without blue sky since we’d arrived) and picked up a hire car in Komatsu. I had two days in Komatsu. The bad news was that the weather had turned rather variable, but the good news was that there were a few sunny spells and that the aggressor squadron was home. Apparently, they often deploy elsewhere. They used only four jets whilst I was there, and one was plain grey – possibly an attrition replacement as I believe one was lost earlier in the year. There was also some activity from the two based fighter squadrons and a couple of visitors.

I’ve been to a few bases in Japan now, but I just cannot get a decent photo of a rescue squadron Black Hawk. They just seem to go the other way, go right overhead or between me and the sun etc.

52564595867_c915b14f63_k.jpgMitsubishi UH-60J Black Hawk, 88-4608 at Komatsu by Phil Childs, on Flickr

With the Phantoms gone, the ‘Cobras’ are now probably the main draw in Japan.

52567394268_23b387704a_k.jpgMitsubishi F-15J Eagle TFTG, "Cobras" 72-8090, at Komatsu by Phil Childs, on Flickr

52565064516_a99f7eeb05_4k.jpgMitsubishi F-15J Eagle TFTG, "Cobras" 82-8092, at Komatsu by Phil Childs, on Flickr

52565643148_45b8e5104a_5k.jpgMitsubishi F-15J Eagle TFTG, "Cobras" 32-8082, at Komatsu by Phil Childs, on Flickr

52565395349_e7f6887368_4k.jpgMitsubishi F-15J Eagle TFTG, "Cobras" 82-8093, at Komatsu by Phil Childs, on Flickr

And my first 303rd FTS ‘Fighting Dragon’. I’d already seen the 306th ‘Golden Eagles’ deployed at Tsuiki in 19.

52565123171_fc31bd939c_5k.jpgMitsubishi F-15J Eagle 303rd TFS "Fighting Dragons", 12-8077, at Komatsu by Phil Childs, on Flickr

Next I took a treacherous mountain drive in unbelievable rain and pitch darkness to Gifu. I thought I’ve save a few quid by not using the toll highways.

An early morning visitor to Gifu, home of the Air Development and Test Wing (bit like the old A&AEE Boscombe Down I guess), but any idea what squadron this is from?

52562666231_7b24f7d1e9_4k.jpgBeech T-400, 01-5060, landing at Gifu Air Base by Phil Childs, on Flickr

52562424527_d529e250b2_4k.jpgMitsubishi F-2B, 63-8101, ADTW at Gifu by Phil Childs, on Flickr

52563163569_7ec96d47a2_4k.jpgKawasaki C-1 FTB, 28-1001 at Gifu Air Base by Phil Childs, on Flickr

As things went quiet at Gifu and I had to head south to Mie prefecture, I decided to make a detour by Komaki air base as I’d seen some C-130s bimbling about in the distance. Got there just as the blanket of cloud moved in. Saw a couple of late movements in the gloom before continuing my journey.

52563176899_bc8a5d6cd6_k.jpgLockheed C-130H Hercules, 401st Airlift Sqn, 75-1078 at Komaki Air Base by Phil Childs, on Flickr

My final stop was at Camp Akeno, the JGSDF helicopter training base. Sadly I was a couple of years late for the Hughes OH-6s. They have been replaced by some tiny shiny blue thing called an Enstrom TH-480B – Yuk!!

52566928279_73a005b2eb_k.jpgEnstrom TH-480B, 62355, Aviation School JGSDF by Phil Childs, on Flickr

Apart from those, the base was very quiet. I think the base security man tried to tell me that they were night flying that day. Still got a UH-1 doing some fast rope training and a couple of AH-1 movements, plus a single UH-60 late afternoon.

52565800660_0061d5bc58_k.jpgFuji UH-1J Iroquois 41872 JGSDF at Camp Akeno by Phil Childs, on Flickr

52565350996_62ac28d7e6_k.jpgFuji AH-1S Cobra, 73484, JGSDF at Camp Akeno by Phil Childs, on Flickr

52567055424_cff36d2bcf_k.jpgMitsubishi UH-60JA Black Hawk, 43108 JGSDF at Camp Akeno by Phil Childs, on Flickr

And after that it was by train to Hiroshima to meet back up with the family.

Not a bad trip in all. Could have had better weather at times and more activity at others, and would love a new camera/lens and a bit more skill, but it was still a terrific few days. Between Covid and the demise of the Phantoms, I was really received as a surprise visitor from overseas. Obviously more down to the pandemic at this time, but I do wonder if without the F-4s, if as many enthusiasts will make the trip now. A few other things have now gone too, such as the ‘Andovers’ and the OH-6s. Still plenty of cool stuff to see there though. A few more photos are in the Flickr album.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

Hi Phil,

Happy to help, especially after seeing the excellent photos. I'm pleased you got some decent weather too.

That was a great report.

The T-400 is from the only squadron that operates them, 41 Flying Training Squadron.

Andy 

• Thanks 1

You've captured some absolute beauties there! Really lovely photos of some exotic hardware. The natural metal C1, Gifu F2B and the Cobra stand out but there are all great to see. I had a look through your Flickr album and there are plenty more excellent shots there especially the mural at Komatsu. 

What was the access like at Komatsu and Gifu? Neither are places I have been to and would like to go, perhaps next year especially if the yen stays at the current bargain rate. 

Thank you for sharing these. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/16/2022 at 5:03 PM, Red Dot said:

The T-400 is from the only squadron that operates them, 41 Flying Training Squadron.

Thanks again for all your help Andy, and thanks answering my question regards the T-400. What threw me was that the one I'd seen previously had a kind of stylised 41 on the tail. The checkerboard on the tail of the one I saw at Gifu looked a bit more like that on the tail of the Hamamatsu based 1st Air Wing T-4s.

4 hours ago, Latinbear said:

What was the access like at Komatsu and Gifu? Neither are places I have been to and would like to go, perhaps next year especially if the yen stays at the current bargain rate.

Thanks for the compliments. Access at both bases is pretty good. Komatsu has very good viewing from the eastern end with good parking, toilets and no need for ladders (although they can give you a boost for rear landing shots. The western end is also quite good, and again doesn't need ladders. From the northern side you have the airport viewing deck which is good but a bit far away (and kind of into the sun). Gifu has a great spot for photos if they're landing from the east.

I can pass on some maps marked with the various photography spots if Andy doesn't mind. He helped me out massively, but even with such great help, you are still somewhat at the mercy of things like which end they are taking off from/landing at, the weather, having ladders, climb rates, rash predictions etc etc. And in my case at Komatsu, a very badly timed quizzing from base security!

• Thanks 1

Those are great shots Phil, especially for a not so good day, bring on your good day ones. :) My personal favourites are the helicopters, that is a seriously cool scheme they're wearing, I can't recall seeing it before but then again we don't get many JASDF helicopter photos, they really look the biz to my mind.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

Excellent shots!! Your equipment and skill are certainly far more advanced that what I could hope to manage, really nice.

I have to make it to Akeno sometime, hoping to catch some Chinook action. After all it's not all that far away...

Stupidly, I missed the Yao (Osaka) base festical on Nov. 20th, only found out when I did some Googling wondering why a Chinook had been flying low over our house the last three days, including that Sunday. Too late by that time...

J

• Thanks 1

Hi Jeffrey,

Don't go to Akeno for Chinooks as I have a feeling they are based at Kisarazu. Apart from that, it is an awesome place for helicopters, as the flying is VERY close

Andy

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Filler said:

Thanks again for all your help Andy, and thanks answering my question regards the T-400. What threw me was that the one I'd seen previously had a kind of stylised 41 on the tail. The checkerboard on the tail of the one I saw at Gifu looked a bit more like that on the tail of the Hamamatsu based 1st Air Wing T-4s.

Thanks for the compliments. Access at both bases is pretty good. Komatsu has very good viewing from the eastern end with good parking, toilets and no need for ladders (although they can give you a boost for rear landing shots. The western end is also quite good, and again doesn't need ladders. From the northern side you have the airport viewing deck which is good but a bit far away (and kind of into the sun). Gifu has a great spot for photos if they're landing from the east.

I can pass on some maps marked with the various photography spots if Andy doesn't mind. He helped me out massively, but even with such great help, you are still somewhat at the mercy of things like which end they are taking off from/landing at, the weather, having ladders, climb rates, rash predictions etc etc. And in my case at Komatsu, a very badly timed quizzing from base security!

You are right on both counts for the T-400 Phil. They used to have the 41 on the tail, but have recently become part of 1 Air Wing based at Hamamatsu, hence the new checks on the tail.

Feel free to share the maps or I will too if anyone contacts me directly

Andy 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again for the compliments. After reading the comments, and on further reflection, I am very happy with what I saw and my photographs. I guess when being somewhere so far away and difficult to visit at will, I stress about seeing everything and having perfect weather and taking perfect photos, but life isn't like that, but I was lucky to have the opportunity and to see lots of good stuff and even get a good few photos in focus.

And thanks again Andy for the 41 FTS explanation. I think I preferred the stylised 41 over the checks.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Some fantastic shots, you've shared with us. Thanks so much!

With regards to the Enstrom 480 helicopter, I understand your feelings about it. The flight training centre that takes care of basic flight training for the Czech air force, as well as some others, Started taking on some of the type a few years ago to replace their Mil Mi-2 fleet.

Like the Hughes OH-6 that you were hoping to see, the Mi-2 is a distinctive design with a bunch of personality. The Enstrom has not been nearly as entertaining as the Mi-2 when I've seen it displayed and it's design is just dull and could be mistaken for a Robinson R-44 at a distance (another dull design to my eyes).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, upnorth said:

The Enstrom has not been nearly as entertaining as the Mi-2

That is a big part of it. The lack of camo was a big minus, but the Entroms seemed to operate very high and then decend steeply in the centre of the base. Videos of the OH-6s suggested that they came in much lower, which is a great benefit for photography.

7 hours ago, Filler said:

That is a big part of it. The lack of camo was a big minus, but the Entroms seemed to operate very high and then decend steeply in the centre of the base. Videos of the OH-6s suggested that they came in much lower, which is a great benefit for photography.

I suppose that the Czech ones do have camouflage is some consolation, however small:

7vYgcuG.jpg

• Like 1