Algy Spurr #3 Baltimore with 100+ missions tallies, and some signatures...and idea of an identity?

Troy Smith

another courtesy of @Brian Spurr

Photo taken by my father Algy Spurr in WW2. Martin Baltimore 'K' - only signatures I can read are the two on the right, R.S. Grey and R. Davison.

Italy, October 1943 to July 1944

0428403.jpg

Looks to be to be over 100 missions, so likely someone know more?   

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Troy Smith changed the title to Algy Spurr #3 Baltimore with 100+ missions tallies, and some signatures...and idea of an identity?

What a terrific picture! The Baltimore is not really one of the best documented WW II bombers... Not quite sure, but were any RAF bomber squadrons still using Baltimores during the period indicated? IIRC they were rather extensively used by SAAF squadrons.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, tempestfan said:

What a terrific picture! The Baltimore is not really one of the best documented WW II bombers... Not quite sure, but were any RAF bomber squadrons still using Baltimores during the period indicated? IIRC they were rather extensively used by SAAF squadrons.

55 squadron didn’t swap its Baltimores for Bostons until Oct 1944. Also 13 (Jan-Oct 1944), 69 (until Apr 1944 for shipping recce and ASW) , 223 (became 30 SAAF in Aug 1944), 500 (from Aug 1944) as well as the SAAF squadrons.

• Thanks 1

Yes, I am aware of the two GR squadrons which kept theirs for a considerable time - there is one wonderful pic of (I think) a 13 Sq. machine on Malta, in Coastal Command camouflage, with a Saint on the nose: That pic woke my interest in the Baltimore in the first place - on the "to model" list for 25 years now... I'll have a look in Squadrons of the RAF later re 55, and thanks for rectifying my misconception!

• Like 1

454 RAAF operated Baltimores in the bomber role till Aug 45 when they disbanded and 459 RAAF operated Baltimores in the MR role till Mar 45 when they disbanded

Edited by Sydhuey