Camo masks for RAF jets

Lord Riot

Apologies if this is in the wrong section, but I’m wondering if anyone has used these camo masks for their kits?

https://topnotchmasks.com/shop/camo-masks/hawker-harrier-gr3-wrap/

Would they work for aerosol painting?

Are they worth the price?
Can they be re-used?

It has to be easier than blu-tack worms and shopping bags! But is there a risk of seepage underneath or pulling up the first coat?

I have used them a couple of times, on 1/72 & 1/48 aircraft. 

I like them as I don’t enjoy masking camouflage schemes.

You need to be careful placing them, especially on tight curved surfaces, and where two masks meet. These locations are where the biggest risk of seepage underneath is.

I mainly use Vallejo model air, haven’t had and issues with pulling up the first coat (yet). I tend to try to remove them as soon as practicably possible.

Haven’t reused them but should be possible if you remove then carefully an put back on their backing sheet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A little liquid masking applied at joins could reduce the chances of leakage or seepage. While I haven’t used this brand, I have found that Eduard style kabuki tape masks are easier to apply and adjust if the sticky side is dampened before use (I usually just dip each piece in a water glass)

I have used them with decent results. You can reuse them as long as you replace them on the backing sheets with care - I'm not saying how many times they would work though!

Here is a SAAF Mirage IIIRZ I built from the Revell 1/72 kit using a topnotch mask set.

yqvlCVB.jpg

I used my airbrush so can't say how an aerosol might work. You should aim for several very thin coats. I let mine dry completely before removal and had no issues.

• Like 2