Arma Hobby Hurricane Double-Build - high time to be having another go!

I seem to have difficulties with Hurricanes. The Arma kits are superb, of course, so why that should be the case, I really don't know. Anyway, my last two went the way of the dodo, and so, inspired by @AliGauld's Sea Hurricane Mk.Ib build I thought I'd have another go.

What I've broken into are a Mk.I "kit" and a Mk.IIb/c "expert set". Be under no illusions - as far as I'm concerned, an "ex" is a has-been and a "spurt" is a drip under pressure. I've got a fair few bits of Arma and Eduard etch floating about, some of which will make an appearance. There may also be a few scratch built bits and bobs along the way.

Boxes and sprues:

IMG-20210621-090736410.jpg

IMG-4118.jpg

IMG-4121.jpg

Progress so far: some interior work, wheel bays, cockpit floors and control columns (Quickboost resin replacements), plus some paint.

Mk.I

IMG-4934.jpg

Mk.IIb

IMG-4939.jpg

And both together:

IMG-4932.jpg

Its not really easy to see the dull aluminium, its that dull! The light is pretty hopeless which doesn't help, perhaps I'll try a couple of pics in daylight.

As for schemes, the Mk.I will be an Idku-based night-fighter, while the Mk.IIb will be a Polish aircraft based at RAF Churchstanton, which is near my home town.

Thanks for looking in - there may actually be more soon, who knows.......

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 17

32 minutes ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Oh yay, happy to see the return of Hurricanes!!! I'll follow, if I may?

Glad to have you along! I'm hoping I've learned a few things since I abandoned the last couple :D

Cheers,

Mark 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

You're off at a cracking pace Mark,

Glad to see you working on these.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks, Alistair, hope I can keep them moving along this time!

Cheers,

Mark 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, opus999 said:

Hooray!  Can't wait to see these come together.  You guys will all make a Hurricane fan out of me yet! :D

Excellent! :D I'd like to see your take on an Arma Hurry, they're beautifully engineered kits and the choice for schemes is astonishing, as @ModelingEdmontonian's "Around the World" build has shown.

Go on *nudge* *nudge* you know you want to :D

Cheers,

Mark 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Dunny said:

Mark,

Will follow with interest - these look like cracking little kits!

Cheers,

Roger

Hi Roger,

Welcome!

Yes, Arma have done the modelling world proud with all their range. The Hurricanes are beautifully engineered kits (any problems I've had are purely my own) and there are so many great builds that are testament to that!

Hopefully, this time round I'll be able to get a result!!!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 3

I particularly like the box art on the first image, at the top of your thread. The colours looks great.

Who knows, I may be detecting the first tiniest inkling of looking into doing a Hurricane in the future 🤫

And you are off to a great start.

As @Dunny said, these really look like cracking kits.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Volant said:

They look lovely. I have a IIc trop that I’m really looking forward to. I’ll follow and hopefully pick up some tips, if that’s ok?

Glad to have you along, Volant!

You're right - they are gorgeous kits with superb detail: the panel lines, for instance, are exquisitely done. I think on balance I'd recommend the "Expert" boxings as they include an etch fret - not too much and for wisely-chosen items rather than "etch for everything!" Plus they include more markings options, of course. As I mentioned, I've got some spare etch frets from my ill-fated previous builds, both Arma and Eduard - quite honestly the Eduard set is way over the top (in my opinion!).

The kits go together beautifully, but they do repay some care which I learned the hard way. I'll look forward to seeing your IIc Trop build in due course :) 

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Volant said:

They look lovely. I have a IIc trop that I’m really looking forward to. I’ll follow and hopefully pick up some tips, if that’s ok?

I meant to add - if you're interested, the National Museum of the United States Airforce has some great cockpit tours including a Hurricane IIa - link here. Also, @AliGauld, @ModelingEdmontonian, @opus999, @Winded Penguin, @Dunny, @Troy Smith might be interested as well (apologies if I've forgotten any likely Hurricane suspects!).

Cheers,

Mark 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Glad to have you along, Volant!

You're right - they are gorgeous kits with superb detail: the panel lines, for instance, are exquisitely done. I think on balance I'd recommend the "Expert" boxings as they include an etch fret - not too much and for wisely-chosen items rather than "etch for everything!" Plus they include more markings options, of course. As I mentioned, I've got some spare etch frets from my ill-fated previous builds, both Arma and Eduard - quite honestly the Eduard set is way over the top (in my opinion!).

The kits go together beautifully, but they do repay some care which I learned the hard way. I'll look forward to seeing your IIc Trop build in due course :) 

Cheers,

Mark

Thank you!

Although you may be waiting some time!

• Haha 1

Here are a few more photos, this time taken in natural daylight. They show, I think, the contrast between the IGG and the aluminium paint, which also has a bit of a lustre not evident in last night's snaps.

Mk.I

IMG-4951.jpg

Mk.IIb

IMG-4954.jpg

IMG-4946.jpg

The Quickboost control column is worthwhile IMHO, as the grip is a more sensible size.

And finally, an errant piece of etched brass:

IMG-4955.jpg

Lol!

Hope to report some actual progress later :)

TTFN!

• Like 11

23 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Crikey Mark another couple of kits on the go. Lovely kits these look too, great start

Chris

Thanks, Chris, they're superb kits so I'm hoping I make a good job of them!

Cheers,

Mark 

• Like 1

Seriously, though, I reattached that tiny piece of etch, glued the seats to their frames and did a trifling amount of detail painting. Not worth a photo.

I've got some ideas for some extra cockpit details from scratch, so I'll wait till I know if they work out.

Thanks for looking in!

Stay safe,

Mark 

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, opus999 said:

Cockpit's coming along nicely.  I am amazed at the surface detail too!  Wow.  I'm getting pretty excited to see this one develop! :)

Thanks :) they're great kits and the surface detail is beautifully restrained.

I'm really looking forward to the release of the Mk.IId in January!!!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2