“Limping Lizzie” 75 Sqn RAAF F-4A-1 Recon Lightning Oct43

This model was built as part of the P-38 Lightning STGB.

I have previously built one of the 3 F-4-1-LO Lightnings that the RAAF 1PRU used during the war, A55-3. There were numerous incidents with these aircraft and the USAAF loaned 75 Sqn 2 additional aircraft, 41-2220 “20” and 41-2156 “56” “Limping Lizzie”. Both aircraft were finished in the experimental “Haze” scheme (the 3 1PRU Lightning were in standard RAAF camouflage scheme) which faded and wore off very quickly. Of interest is the insignias, the RAAF roundels were painted straight over the USAAF insignias. It is unknown for how long they stayed like this, both aircraft were only in service with 75 Sqn from Aug43 to Dec43.

The base model is Tamiya’s lovely P-38F/G, nothing more needs to be said!

The conversion set is by CMK and is nice, they even supply decals, though they are not 100% correct, DK Decals do a nice set for this aircraft.

The paint job is a bit of a killer, there are no exact details of the colour/s used, basically the A/c was first painted black then a blue was painted over it. It was painted in such a way that it was very dark on top and gradually became lighter as it progressed to the undersides, which almost looked a very pale white/blue. It faded and deteriorated very quickly back its base black colour. I painted it the same way with one colour blue, Mr Color C392 “Interior Blue Soviet”. Then just a light mist of black on the top and white on the undersides to fade and highlight the colour.

Thank you for looking, link to the build is provided, please enjoy.

Model: Tamiya 1/48th P-38F/G Lightning

Scheme: 75 Sqn F-4 October 1943   

Paint:  Gunze Mr Color, Tamiya Acrylics, Model Master Metalizer Lacquer 

Extras: 

CMK – F-4A-1 Conversion set

DEF Model – P-38F/G Lightning Sagged Wheels

DKDecals – WWII RAAF Twins

Eduard – P-38F/G Superchargers

Quinta Studio – P-38F 3D Decals

i-7bRfbf5-XL.jpg

i-p2NphxN-XL.jpg

i-p7ZSRST-XL.jpg

i-9xd6MMd-XL.jpg

i-ZfcvT8T-XL.jpg

i-dRvwWvG-XL.jpg

i-svRBfwQ-XL.jpg

i-gvHsR4s-XL.jpg

i-3TDTpVh-XL.jpg

i-FfkzwpX-XL.jpg

i-ngPhFGq-XL.jpg

...and her sibling.

i-qVK9tX4-XL.jpg

• Like 41

The Lightning looks good in something other than the usual OD green or silver / natural metal colors. The weathering brings it to life and the unique markings……..for a P-38, make it stand out.  Very nice!!!! :like:

Mike

• Thanks 1