Scaleplanes 1/72 Vickers FB19 vacform

AdrianMF

I bought this for around four quid at the Shuttleworth model show in February, and cut  out the parts a while back:

4-C348741-4-D90-458-B-8290-DDE5-BFF6-B7-

B00-FD42-C-C970-4-C6-B-962-B-6648-D81695

Today I have just finished my P-38 in the GB and fancied some light relief this evening after watching the end of the England-France match. So I’ve sanded down all the parts and put together an interior, and I’m ready to join the fuselage up:

FEF435-F3-8132-4932-8741-0-AF5-B8-EC72-B

The propeller is quite nicely done, but they got the blades back to front so I’ll either use a spare Eduard Nieuport 17 one (pictured) or carve my own. Still also debating whether to make the engine and prop rotatable - I expect the temptation will be too much!

• Like 24

This was also released with additional white metal for the engine, prop and wheels, and a PE fret including very flat struts. Might also have been decals, I can't remember. IIRC it was well received at the time, with the caveat that since you may want to build either a Mk1 or 2 you need to be sure of the wing position, stagger, and strut lengths, because they do differ between marks (unlike in the KP kit, where they just didn't bother).

I've made one. It's tiny.

Paul.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hamden said:

masterclass

Learn by the mistakes of others :)

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

I like that, would scare the life out of me!

Can we look forward to seeing you in “Not my comfort zone” with a biplane vac?

2 hours ago, Paul Thompson said:

white metal

Nothing like that on mine. The vac engine is actually rather nice!

Mk1 or 2

Looking at photos of Russian ones on t’web it seems that at least some Mk1s were flat sided?

It's tiny

24x18 ft is what I’ve seen. Mine is a couple of mm short in span after sanding down to aerofoil section.

And a bit more progress. Fuselage together, wings and fin on, control surfaces scored on the reverse sides and some filler applied:

BFFF8488-F243-4-F06-8111-F5078-C07-C0-DB

My current filler of choice is P-38 because it sets so quickly and sands nicely. I’ve just taken a tiny blob of filler and hardener out of my giant tin, and I might well be putting the remainder of the filler back. So although it doesn’t smooth down in small areas so much as other fillers, it’s quick and easy to add a bit more and sand it back, if you don’t mind the smell!

• Like 10

31 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Can we look forward to seeing you in “Not my comfort zone” with a biplane vac?

😄 not likely.   I am struggling with the GB side with what I have going on up here so better not sign up for any more!!! Honest, it's not because I am scared😉🤪

Great quick progress on this one Adrian 

Chris

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, Ptmvarsityfan said:

level of your vacform

Hmm, I’m now wondering whether the sides were flat or streamlined. This kit has a circle-flat-at-the-bottom cross section whereas I’m starting to wonder from looking at t’web if it shouldn’t be square with a rounded top. Just going to carry on and ignore the issue.

5 hours ago, RichieW said:

spare wing and lots of strings

I suspect this is the bit you have been waiting for! I prefer to think of it as “one too many wings” myself :)

Loads of progress, marked out and drilled for struts, time for some paint:

1-A501-DE7-B6-CE-45-D0-BF88-DC681-AD7-E0

• Like 16

2 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

I suspect this is the bit you have been waiting for! I prefer to think of it as “one too many wings” myself :)

Oh very much so! This looks like a beautifully formed kit. I'm thinking this kind of thing is way out of my comfort zone. I hear a rumour there is a GB coming up. :)

Richie

• Haha 4

The ES1 was developed into the Mk 1,  but had a circular cross section fuselage. The stringers are quite prominent in the Datafile photos. Looked quite like a Mk I, but many detail differences. But you're right, the fuselage was flattened for the Mk 1 - still a bit rounded towards the front to fair in the cowling. The bottom was flat.

Paul.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for confirming what I was beginning to suspect. Shame, because it’s a very well engineered kit (prop aside) otherwise.

My fuselage is going to be round, as I’m just building it for a bit of light hearted fun. I’m trying to not make every build I do an epic voyage of modification from an unsuitable starting point, and I want to wrap this up this week!

I will put it at the back of the shelf.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 3

Righty-ho. The curved fuselage problem:

B784-F687-30-B1-472-B-AB00-757-CB0-A0-F7

So while I was having a coffee I thought “maybe I can sand and scrape it flat”, so I had a go. I’m calling that flat enough for a fun build:

359316-D2-51-FC-43-CA-A861-450-F197-B7-E

F51430-BB-D50-B-4-AE5-8444-E2-DE4-EFEB3-

Now all I need to do is clean up the plastic shavings! If anyone has any pictures of an FB19 with a rounded fuselage, please do NOT tell me!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 10
  • Haha 7

19 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Still also debating whether to make the engine and prop rotatable - I expect the temptation will be too much!

Yes please!

Looks super!

Cheers,

• Like 2

Getting some paint on. Lots of masking over ribs and spars, then stipple on a rather darker colour:

4-A804-D15-1153-4-CF4-8210-869-FED8-F15-

Remove all the masking, decide it’s a bit too stark and pull it back with washes of the original lighter colour:

B5-A9-FCF1-E16-E-4-E0-F-989-B-44-E8-FB48

Get started on the PC10. The AK PC10 is a bit too green for me so I mix in two drops Hu70 to four drops PC10:

72-D698-CE-A9-B1-483-D-AF7-B-D2531901679

First coat never looks great!

• Like 15

Hi Adrian, I love the way you described a Vacform Biplane as a "little light relief" earlier in the thread. That's Awesome! 

The model is progressing very nicely too 👍. Regards, Pete in RI

Edited by europapete
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh wow paint already, I looks great and I do love the underside ribbing effects, I remember the paint effects on your lovely BE2c .  

I do have some vacform kits and will look to do a biplane one day.  I want to be able to do one justice as I have an Aeroclub DH89 and want to do a great job of it.

Great work so far

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Only took me a couple of days to notice Adrian had started a new build; and it looks like it’s a long way to being finished already!

I’d hazard a guess that only Adrian could/would tackle a 1/72 vacform biplane as a bit of light hearted fun; and then get it together with such apparent ease and lack of angst :D

• Haha 5

6 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

underside ribbing effects

4 hours ago, Hamden said:

rib/spar effect

It was scary the first few times I did it but I'm getting to enjoy the process now. And when it works well, it's really satisfying.

43 minutes ago, RichieW said:

masking thing tidied up

TBH it was a pretty slapdash effort using bits of tape left on my cutting board from other projects, more as a guide to getting (mainly) straight lines than anything else. I'd love to know what the real process was; did they mask it all up or is it just "paint a 2 inch brushful of PC10 round the edge of the underside"

43 minutes ago, Fritag said:

light hearted fun

It's amazing how much fun you can have when you lower your standards*! 've just finished a detailed (for me) P-38 build and didn't fancy getting serious right away, and as I had already cut this out during an F-102A build...

Recently-discovered War Ministry documents have revealed that the true purpose of PC10 was not to act as a camouflage, or even to protect linen from the Sun's rays, but to present such a boring colour scheme that attacking German pilots felt an overwhelming urge to take a nap or go and find something more interesting to shoot at instead! Mission Accomplished:

7-D28-CD6-C-3270-4-B2-B-9-D7-E-BC3-D4-F5

Note the new flatter fuselage sides.

Regards,

Adrian

* applies to many other life activities...

• Like 9
  • Haha 10