Fujimi Honda Super cub

Volant

Hello all,

I don’t often build vehicles - while I’ve done the Tamiya Eunos Roadster as I have one, I normally build aircraft.  I do also have an Aoshima MX5 and Tamiya S2000 in the stash though, as I’ve had both.

I imported a 1985 Honda C90 from Japan a few years ago. I love the little thing, to be honest I ride it more than any of my big bikes. Here it is.

52554707384_6cae3a87a2_b.jpg

52554952193_1acc240840_b.jpg

In researching kits I figured the best match I could get was A Fujimi Super Cub 110. It is a ‘Next’ series kit - meaning no glue and no paint, clip together. So like an Airfix click model, right?

Last time I was in Japan I found one for 3300 yen, or about £20. A bit expensive for a click together kit, but I really want it in my garage near the 1/1 scale one, so so be it.

52547856620_eb2e905ca2_b.jpg

Edited by Volant
  • Like 3

And when I opened the box, it turns out I was wrong. This is still a clip together kit, and so this thread won’t be a long one, but I actually felt worth sharing. Normally I wouldn’t, and I’ve no doubt that compared to the time and detail in most kits, it’s not that interesting. However it has exceeded my expectations enough to post.

It is beautifully engineered, really impressive. And a higher part count than I was expecting too. 

52554429441_3b09132de4_b.jpg

The instructions require plenty of google translate through the phone camera…

52547856770_673c70b050_b.jpg

52547927478_fb47bca835_b.jpg

The fit is incredible, not only that but everything works - steering, wheels, centre stand etc.

Engine, swimgarm, rear wheel and front wheel done, up to about half way through step 3 here.

52547856550_9b28d9c74d_b.jpg

Edited by Volant
Spelling
  • Like 2

The only criticism of the kit I have isn’t the kits fault, but a function of what it is. Normally when you clip a part off the sprue, you clean it up, even fill if necessary, and paint. Any gremlins from clipping it off the sprue are hidden. With this you have to be so careful removing parts, and there are a few instances where it’s definitely not as clean as I’d like.

I once again can’t over emphasise how impressive the design and engineering is though. It’s a proper kit, a proper model. Even without glue and paint.

Starting to look like a cub now…

52546921182_3c9f1b4520_b.jpg

Edited by Volant
spelling, again
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

That looks rather a nice little kit. I had a 50cc Cub with the upturned exhaust, road the wheels off it around Cornwall.

Great progress and nothing wrong with a snap kit.

Colin

• Thanks 1