Special schemes: Pilatus PC-6 "Der Bunte Fredi" 1/72

Hello, I wanted to enter this build in the GB, but for some reason I started a bit late and then realized I hadn't even opened a thread!

This is a subject I really love and only recently I found the appropriate kit to use with the decals I bought at least ten years ago.

Not the best option, since I think the more recent BPK kit seems way easier to build and more detailed, though I didn't want to run into any self inflicted issues using a different kit than those originally intended by the decal designer: I reckon it will be tricky enough just following the instructions!

So, here is the basic set, more images wil follow up to the current progress.

Thanks for looking!

20221008_192458

• Like 7

Ok, let's start the game! First a look at what the box has to offer. The mouldings are quite clean and the plastic is hard and sharp for a short run, worst part are the attachment gates which often make the parts indistinguishable from the sprue.

20221008_192911

And here a full view of the decal sheet(s): very nice, printed by Techmod, there is even a correction sheet for some details not included in the main sheet: will come useful for tests and patching.

20221210_213654

Edited by Whirly
  • Like 7

Sorry for the lack of updates: I caught a bad flu and the recovery is very slow. Some more images of past progress to keep you entertained:

All the main components and cockpit parts detached from the sprues and prepared for assembly. They are quite precise and well fitting.

20221009_213810

Floor and back wall glued to the fuselage then everithing got a coat of grey 26440 and the seats cushion painted in olive green.

You'll notice I added a roof to avois seeing the wingspars passing through the cabin.

Also, I pondered a lot on replacing the solid cubes which support the seats with the intricate tubular structure of the real plane, but I tested that nothing could be seen unless I left the sliding door open, so I wisely (I think) went on without bothering.

20221016_223509

All the seats in place...

20221017_225739

...and now even an instrument panel and control bars!

The seat belts for the front seats will be attached to the cabin side as seen in normal use.

20221021_224740

On closing the fuselage I found many area requiring attention: the slab sided construction is unforgiving and you must obtain a perfectly plain surface on all four sides!

20221022_144417

20221022_144441

A lot of puttying/sanding sessions followed to obtain a satisfying result.

20221023_160012

20221023_160004

The most annoying part was locating corretly all the main components and add pins and spars with paperclips to help a positive assembly with glue: the kit offers nothing in this respect and the instructions are somewhat sketchy, an 1/72 three view drawing would have been a great help!

20221023_172446

Thank you for looking!

• Like 8

@Col. @Colin W thank you for your comments. Now I'm feeling better and there's more progress, can't wait to see the decals on!

The worst aspect of this kit is the transparent cockpit: just one thin vacuformed part (no backup), poor definition of the side windows and mediocre fit...

This is the result after many cycles of puttying and sanding,

20221107_075112

20221107_075052

And finally the wings are on! This aircraft is apparently easy because everything is straight and angular, the downside is that you must pay the highest attention to keep all the parts perfectly aligned or at 90°, no curves allowed! See how I got some help from Lego® and the Central Bank 🙂

On the wings underside there are two big landing lights completely omitted in the kit, so I added them taking care to check the position with the decal design.

Note also how I completely replaced the lower lip of the engine air intake with plasticard: here you have a nasty join to deal with and a gaping hole if you do nothing, so I took adavntage of the surgery to scratchbuild as best as I could the complex structure inside https://i0.wp.com/modeltalking.hobbyart.sk/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/DSC_4183.jpg

20221127_215029

This is the current status, nearly ready for paint application.

20221205_192601

Thanks for looking!

• Like 9

On 12/21/2022 at 8:46 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Looking good but sad to hear they only include the one canopy bit. Usually there is a second in case of accidents. 

I agree, this has been a "standard" for decades. Sometimes I wonder why even small manufacturers don't care about basic flaws in their products, whose remedial costs would be negligible....

In between applying several coats of white paint I did some work on the propeller to obtain a presentable item.

See below a raw blade as provided, you really have to guess the real shape into that blob of plastic!

20221210_221155

• Like 6

Thank you @Col., I managed to  carve something presentable 🙂

Now comes the real fun: decals!

Well, this is what I expected but the fun was rapidly replaced by disappointment.

Following closely the instructions, I applied the first two decals on the fuselage upper side and you can see how the red is very translucent. There is a note suggesting to trim the green decals according to the red design but this is totally crazy. I can't see why they did not print a single decal like they did with the underside!

20221216_215957

20221216_220017

Will deal with this issue later.

The remaining decals went on more or less ok, though the lack of a background IS an issue, because even the same color changes hue if superimposed.

20221216_220044

20221216_231151

20221217_232019

This is the final status, now there is about a thousand of touch-ups to be done 😱

20221218_164640

• Like 9

Very attractive scheme and a shame about the opacity of the decals. Planes painted like birds always made me worried though. It's like, well are you painting it that way in the hope it will fly like a bird or have you properly trained the pilot and ground crew?!

• Haha 3

On 12/28/2022 at 8:46 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Wow thats looking great, sad to see the one decal is see through but I think you’ll be able to sort it out. 

Thank you @Corsairfoxfouruncle, though as it seems usual in our hobby I made one step forward and 2 backwards....

I managed to find a suitable shade of red for retouching and set to mask everything that should not be involved with a complicated procedure: I cut paper masks from a scan of the decal sheet I took before applying the decals and attached them with highly diluted white glue over the already applied decals. Then I protected the "yellow boomerang" shapes over the roof with Maskol. I know, quite risky, but I could not imagine anything better without resorting to a very messy handbrush attempt.

Please note that all the decals were sealed with Mr.Color GX100 for a bigger safety margin.

This was the result after multiple thin coats of matt pink and red:

20221227_183515

I was really statisfied but when I started to remove the masks I found I made a big mistake using this cling film to protect from overspray. It's a tecnique I used several times previously for masking but for some reason it didn't work as expected: I don't know if the film has changed formula or it reacted with these specific decals, but it stuck a bit too much and in some places, whatever my efforts, it teared apart the decals 🤬

20221228_155621

So, now I have multiple damages to repair, just in a different color from red.

• Like 2
  • Sad 7

1 hour ago, Whirly said:

reacted with these specific decals, but it stuck a bit too much and in some places, whatever my efforts, it teared apart the decals

Im sorry this is fighting you, in the end it will make a great addition to your display collection and stand out. 

• Like 1

On 1/4/2023 at 5:02 PM, Col. said:

Oh bother :( Is it purely the blue sections that are affected?

Yes, I was lucky only those got damaged and I found a very good match in the Revell line of enamel paints. Repairs are underway, very slowly to let the paint set and avoid more disasters. In the meantime I'm getting fun with the XP-40Q which is nearly finished.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Whirly said:

Yes, I was lucky only those got damaged and I found a very good match in the Revell line of enamel paints. Repairs are underway, very slowly to let the paint set and avoid more disasters. In the meantime I'm getting fun with the XP-40Q which is nearly finished.

Glad you've found a good paint match. The extended deadline Enzo has provided us will hopefully work in your favour.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Col.

the time extension was really a blessing, I wouldn't have any chance of finishing this model otherwise.

I completed the paint repairs and I'm currently adding the myriad of small details totally missing from the Classic Plane kit, hope to post and update with images soon.

• Like 1

I made full use of the extension to add some life to the Classic Plane basic kit: apart from the fine engraved panel lines it is unfortunately totally devoid of any detail!

Starting from the cabin roof: two whip antennas, air outlet, strobe light, big white antenna and red post.

20230127_222359

Mudguard for the tailwheel done with thin plasticard vacuum formed over the tyre, small leverages for the tailplanes trim tabs.

20230127_222419

Trim tabs added to the ailerons.

20230127_222425

Small navigation light at the wing tips.

20230127_222437

Two steps per side on the u/c legs.

20230127_222455

The step under the door is totally missing even though it is a very common equipment for parachuting work.

20230127_222545

The trim tabs need linkages and there is also a kind of counterweight for the aileron.

20230127_222652

The funny tailwheel guard really taxed my patience, but it is so peculiare I couldn't leave it out!

20230128_210451

And this is the most crowded area, it took more than two evenings to complete! Blade antennas, strobe light, drain tubes, air outlet, hinges and other misterious shapes needed a lot of patience.

20230127_222611

And that's all. Tomorrow in the gallery just on the finish line 🏁

Thanks for looking!

• Like 8