1:35 scale postwar British tank transporters?

bootneck

Without wishing to hi-jack, I assume that with a Commander I'm basically limited to Chieftains, Challengers and M109's? Apart from the odd Centurion AVRE etc, whilst loving the look of tank transporters I'm not in with what they carry and don't carry on the back 😳😁

Chieftain, Challenger, Centurion AVRE, Challenger CRARRV, Chieftain ARRV or, very rarely a Centurion ARV, M109, AS90, MLRS, Warrior, FV 432 - you could also see combos of the lighter vehicles on one trailer (Warrior and '432 - or two '432s together). I'm sure other loads have been photographed over the years.

Overall paint options include IRR Green, Desert Sand or UN white)

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/12/2022 at 09:55, Toe said:

Without wishing to hi-jack.........

Ask away,  I am still learning about tractors and trailers.  I am trying to find out about Crane, Roberts, King and any other trailers used with British tractors.

cheers,
Mike

I can recommend the book Tugs of War by Pat Ware for further reading and plenty of photos trailers included. There is a copy on Amazon but £56 could not find any more available. Local library maybe?

Commanders appeared in the pre-STGO (Special Types General Order) era and so were less load-limited than the Oshkosh HETs.  Greater choice of loads: pretty much anything tracked in service at the time.  HETs are limited to single indivisible loads too heavy for "normal" vehicles regulated by Construction And Use Regulations.  At least to be legal in peacetime..... 

The Military Trucks Archive series of slim books has titles on Thornycroft Antar, Scammell Commander, Oshkosh HET, Diamond T and Scammell TRMU.  £9 each.  You can get these from Bookworld or direct from the publisher, Kelsey Media.

Edited by Kingsman
addition

4 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I built the Accurate Armour Commander & Trailer over 20 years ago.  God it was a MONSTER but looked superb - especially with a Challenger on the trainer, all chained down.  IIRC even during the 90s it was norther of £100!

Co-incidentally I've just been looking on their website.... £340 now.........

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

• 4 weeks later...

After reading this forum post, my wallet has taken a huge hit this afternoon, after ordering the I❤️Kit Diamond T M19 AND the new Hobby Boss Scammell Commander! SWMBO will be most impressed when these expected large parcels turn up.......!

Should I order the Hobby Boss 1/35 M1070 and make the necessary mods for a British Army vehicle?  Sorry, not trying to hijack this forum as I just reread the title and noticed it's in Cold War era.

I already have the Thunder Scammell Pioneer tank transporter in the stash too.

Next project - house extension to house these kits when (if???) built?!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, P-3s rule said:

After reading this forum post, my wallet has taken a huge hit this afternoon, after ordering the I❤️Kit Diamond T M19 AND the new Hobby Boss Scammell Commander! SWMBO will be most impressed when these expected large parcels turn up.......! Should I order the Hobby Boss 1/35 M1070 and make the necessary mods for a British Army vehicle? 

Sorry, not trying to hijack this forum as I just reread the title and noticed it's in Cold War era.I already have the Thunder Scammell Pioneer tank transporter in the stash too.

Ha ha!  you're not hijacking at all.  If I had the funds then I would do exactly the same! :pray:

Cheers,

MIke

• Like 1

@P-3s rule You cannot - I repeat CANNOT - make a UK M1070F and King's trailer from the Hobbyboss kit., so save your £££. You might conceivably modify the tractor unit with a new bonnet/hood and the other various more minor differences.  But you can use not one single part of the trailer.  We use a UK-built 7-axle trailer from Kings whereas the US uses a 5-axle trailer from DRS Technologies.

The US trailer is no longer legal in Europe for anything more than about 50 tonnes because of the axle loading.  Which is why the UK chose a different trailer in the first place.  And why we ended up loaning 18 surplus UK HETs to USAREUR half a dozen years ago because they could no longer legally use theirs until the A1 came along.  I did that deal.

The new US HET M1070A1 will adopt the M1070F powertrain and front end plus a new 8-axle trailer from Broshuis in the Netherlands.  This will be EU road legal for loads of about 80 tonnes.  Our HETs are not EU or UK road-legal with CR2 TES at 76 tonnes.  So for anyone with very deep pockets who might be thinking of a UK HET, you're limited to a "normal" CR2.

• Like 4