Unimogs?

bootneck

Having read Mike's review of the Revell [03337] 1/35 Unimog 2T milgl kit this morning, I feel inspired to get one for my Falkands theme; however, I am not sure if that was the type that was used by the Argentine Army in 1982.  Can anyone advise whether the kit matches any of these vehicles that were there in 1982?

The headlamp locations may need changing but would the chassis and rest of the bodywork match?

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

cheers,

Mike

Completely different 'mog unfortunately.

The Revell kit is of a later model not used by Argentina at the time of the Falklands. The photos you posted show a rounded cab profile but the Revell kit has a later squarer cab style.

Upper image shows the version that Revell produced. Lower version shows the style that Argentina used.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, modelldoc said:

Not so - the ICM one is actually too early for the Argentine version. Take a closer look at the bonnet and engine grille layout of both the photos above and the S404 kit. It's certainly a better starting point but would still require a new or extensively redesigned cab.

The closest cab style I can find is the old Tamiya 1/32 motorised toy, which might be just about OK for the ambulances in the first images that Bootneck posted.

spacer.png

Edited by John Tapsell

Just now, Mike said:

ICM are producing a bunch of Unimog kits at the moment. If you’re patient, they’ll probably pop up with the right one eventually. :)

It wouldn't surprise me and they'd be nice to see on the market (sadly, in my case they'll be in the wrong scale as I no longer build in 1/35 :( )

2 hours ago, modelldoc said:

Look at picture number two from bootneck, this is a Unimog like the ICM kit.

modelldoc

Look again - compare the design and curvature of the bonnet in Bootneck's photo to the example below (an S404 as is the ICM kit). Also compare the shape of the engine grille between the two cabs. The Argentine vehicles have a different (later production) 406 cab unit. The chassis and cargo body are very similar (if not the same).

spacer.png

spacer.png

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've only just found this thread.  Unfortunately both the Unimog kits discussed are the wrong model however I do have good news, there is one available although it is 1/32 diecast.    See https://www.weise-toys.de/27x12x0.xhtml

They offer both hard and soft top versions.  I have modified two into longer wheelbase versions.

If it doesn't have to be 1/35th you can also get the correct version Unimog in 1/43 which doesn't not look too out of place with 1/48.  

Further on the Argentine theme You can also get Panhard armoured car in 1:43 (diecast) and 1/35th (plastic kit)  

Weise products are not the easiest to find.  None of the UK agents listed on the Weise site have any Unimogs and some don't even list Weise products at all.  Mr Google will find you some outside the UK.  But you're looking at £75 ish for one.  Ouch.  At one time they did a Bundeswehr version.