BOAC pale blue colour

Roof Rat

Good evening all

Help required please, I'm after 1/72 scale BOAC pale blue/blue ? Speedbird logos and aircraft registration letters as use on their Hythe flying boats.

Any help or pointing in the right direction would be much appreciated. 

Thank you.

Chris. 

Can only help with the Hythe registration:

G-AGER, G-AGES, G-AGET, G-AGEU, G-AGEV, G-AGEW, G-AGEW, G-AGHV, G-AGHW, G-AGHX, G-AGHY, G-AGIA, G-AGIB, G-AGJJ, G-AGJK, G-AAGJL, G-AGJM, G-AGJN, G-AGJO, G-AGKV, G-AGKW, G-AGKX, G-AGKZ, G-AGLA.

More information, names, ex RAF, delivered and out of service in : BOAC, An Illustrated History by Charles Woodley, published by Tempus 2004 / 2006.

modelldoc

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Roof Rat said:

1/72 scale BOAC pale blue/blue ?

What an interesting topic! I feel inspired... 😉

Fired by my inspiration I did some google search and found a short British Pathé video from G-AGHZ ( I don't want to post the link here for not to raise any copyright issues, but I've googled for boac colour and found it in the news section at airlineratings.com), which shows a rather weathered Hythe in a light blue grey I'd say similar to Sky Blue, maybe a bit lighter.

The decals I would print myself, they seem to be rather standard BOAC logo and some lettering, for the stencils I'd go with the Sunderland ones, if there are any.

If you start the build, we hope for a WIP! 🙂

• Like 2

Good morning modelldoc and Chief Cohiba 

Thank you gentlemen for the information, it's very much appreciated. 

My interest has been sparked by a recent discovery that one of my uncles was a engineer for BOAC at their flying boat Poole Harbour base until it closed in 1948, he then moved to Hamworthy where he was part of the team that maintained the airframes that were stored there while BOAC were looking for buyers for them.

Thanks again

Chris.

• Like 1

The page that links the video of "G-AGHZ" mentioned above, can be seen here. I don't think I'm infringing any copyright rules by just posting the link to the article.

https://www.airlineratings.com/news/fabulous-colour-video-boac-flying-boat-flight/

Although the page refers to G-AGHZ, in the text, it's clear in some shots that the aircraft is actually G-AGJN. I'd agree with @modelldoc (and the colour pics in the link bear this out) the speedbird looks dark, and what I would call "normal" BOAC dark blue?

HTH

Terry

• Like 2

Good morning Gentlemen

Thank you for your replies, sorry for my delay in replying I was away from home over the weekend.

Having watched the film clip I agree the blue colour looks the normal BOAC dark blue (Oxford Blue?) which should make finding logo's and lettering easier.

Thank you for taking the time to reply

Chris.

P.S. Do any of you know a good source for 1/72 BOAC and Speedbird logo's  also suitable registration letters in the dark blue, by any chance.

11 minutes ago, Roof Rat said:

Do any of you know a good source for 1/72 BOAC and Speedbird logo's

I guess I can create them for you, once you're there. I guess I will print some decalsover the holidays, so I can add some for you as well.